[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /g/ think of GNU/linux-libre and those distros specifically
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: trisquel-logo.jpg (22 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
trisquel-logo.jpg
22 KB, 300x300
What does /g/ think of GNU/linux-libre and those distros specifically supported by the Free Software Foundation and the GNU project, and other "libre" ideas such as libreboot and various work towards open-source hardware, in general, and concerns regarding "blobs" and closed-source firmware?
>>
they are memes
>>
On the meme scale from Arch to Ubuntu they're a solid openSUSE
>>
it seems like they tell to users of less extreme purist distros the same thing that those users tell to users of closed-source software, i.e. that the latter are not secure because they use closed-source software.

Is there a double standard here?
>>
>>54778446
I like to have the freedom to use closed source software more than I like the freedom to edit open source software, so I don't like FSF distros. I still have the freedom to install any free software I want on my distro as well.
>>
>>54778598
FSF supporters would tell you that wanting the freedom to use closed-source software more than the freedom to edit open-source software is analogous to wanting the freedom to be in prison more than the freedom to not be in prison. What do you think about that?
>>
>>54778507
This.

I want the freedom to run non-free software.
>>
>>54778642
some would argue that MS Windows and other closed-source operating systems also allow the use of open source software or "libre" software (libreoffice, firefox, etc) that supports it just as it supports linux, while at the same time supporting closed-source software. What is it about mainline, non-"libre" linux philosophy that sets it apart from the windows philosophy that /g/ users frequently condemn if the freedoms are the same?
>>
>>54778838
and FSF supporter would point out that being in prison has the very obvious benefit of being safe from harm by criminals outside the prison, but would also say something to the effect that they don't think safety is more desirable than freedom.
>>
>>54778446
Why do the people behind Trisquel blatantly choose to have 666 in their logo? I'm not calling them satanists, but it mildly raises my concerns. Can anyone please share your opinion and/or facts about this with me?

>inb4 >>>/x/
>>
>>54779048
i think its because it looks like three debian logos combined
>>
>>54778446
i use trisquel as my decoy os.
>>
I really liked Trisquel and gNewSense, they are set up really well and work great for the most part but you always run into something you need a "binary blob" for or some other bit of closed source software for.
I like distros who approach it like Debian does. They try to do all free software but you have a choice and it's easy to use non-free components if you need to.
>>
>>54779048

http://ubuntusatanic.org/
>>
>>54778640
That's a pretty horrible analogy.

I think a closer analogy would be freedom to rent or buy a house. If you rent a house, you have free access to use it, but you can't just paint the walls blue and keep a (small) herd of wild animals in the living room. If you own a house, you can do that. Both have different advantages and disadvantages, and it's up to the individual to decide what is best for their situation.
>>
File: 1451332688393.jpg (32 KB, 344x500) Image search: [Google]
1451332688393.jpg
32 KB, 344x500
>>54778507
Sure thing, kiddo
>>
>>54778560
you have an option to run what you want, with closed source you don't have any say in anything.
>>
Is there even a modern computer that can run any of these? Every computer I've ever had had at least 2 hardware components that required a proprietary driver, usually the wifi card.
>>
Once trisquel 8 hits I'm going to give it a whirl. I don't mind using closed source software, but I like to see to what degree you are limited when using open source exclusively. But if you think I'm going to buy a new system so that I can use libreboot, you are out of your mind.
>>
File: 1457741909899.jpg (505 KB, 1280x2050) Image search: [Google]
1457741909899.jpg
505 KB, 1280x2050
>>54778446
>2016
>No FSF approved source based distro
Why is this allowed?
>>
>Trisquel is a solution to an non-existing problem
>It only matters to a small fraction of users
People are not hackers and want their shit to work out of the box. That said, Trisquel is a pretty cool distro, based on an interesting concept.
>>
>>54778598
That's why Debian is by default free, but then you can enable non-free repos and run what you want.

The FSF doesn't like or approve of Debian because they make it easy to run non-free software and therefore somehow encourages non-free software.

My Intel wireless card needs non-free software, so I assume I couldn't even have a functional Trisquel OS.
>>
>>54778446
GNU Parabola is great.
>>
I would've considered switching to FSF-approved distro if there were a single one which is not a shitty fork of already existing one. At the momend I'm using Arch without any proprietary parts except for kernel and VirtualBox.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.