[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /g/ still promote C as the end-all be-all language when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: konata uses computer.png (117 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
konata uses computer.png
117 KB, 400x300
Why does /g/ still promote C as the end-all be-all language when it teaches bad habits about computers in 2016?

Since every operator is a 1:1 mapping of a CPU opcode, there are no native operations for things the modern world takes for granted, like dynamic typing, function literals and the ability to pass and return data structures as first class objects.
You're basically forced to reimplement all that shit over and over with every C project you make, and it's a literal waste of time, when you could have just written it in JS or Python in a fraction of the time.
Oh, and what happens if a cosmic ray just happens to flip one of your null terminators into another character value? SEGMENTATION FAULT!

Computer time is cheap, developer time is not. Now that cloud compute time is so stupidly cheap, you can just add more cores to a problem until it goes away.
Why does /g/ insist on being stuck in 1972?
>>
That's why Bjarne created c++.

But C is still very useful for certain things and more portable.
>>
>>54776029
>Why does /g/ insist on being stuck in 1972?
Because /g/ has never made an actual useful program, check out dpt and look for yourself all meme projects for beginners.
>>
>Now that cloud compute time is so stupidly cheap, you can just add more cores to a problem until it goes away
You disgust me and prove the point that as time goes on, programmers become lazier and lazier.

Sure, C shouldn't be used for everything but you're delusional if you don't believe it has its place.
>>
>>54776029
> Computer time is cheap, developer time is not.
Thats why we will soon require minimum 8-core 4GHz CPUs and 16 GiB of RAM to open two web pages.
>>
>>54776147
Although the minority, some of us has written device drivers.
>>
>>54776246
How ground-breakingly useful
>>
>>54776029
What do you want to use for embedded systems, faggot? A ducking scripting language with VM?
>>
Because real programmers aren't lazy shits that allow inefficient one-size-fits-all algorithms do their fucking work for them.
>>
>>54776059
>Since every operator is a 1:1 mapping of a CPU opcode
CS classes these days are so horrible, it's no wonder they hire Indians.

>b-but it's bait
That's what they all say, kid.
>>
>>54776029
Just use le python xd if you don't care about performance.
>>
>>54776462
Interpreted languages have been always present in personal computing. Does anybody remember BASIC?
Coding a library in C is ok-ish, an entire application however...
>>
>>54776029
Back to your board >>>/a/
>>
>>54776305
You could use rust, not always as easily as C but it's an option.
>>
>>54776029
Your post clearly indicates that you never actually used C. Would you kindly fuck off and stop posting. .
>>
>>54776029
C is clean and nice, and a great place to start. It's absolutely not where you should end but learning C is the best for people who want to begin basic programming and then throw more things on top of it as they learn, like OOP or complex algorithms.
>>
>>54776029
Obvious bait tbqh. The cosmic ray thing gave it away. No language is safe from le cosmic ray meme. What if a cosmic ray flipped the high bit of something storing an array bound?
>>
>>54776029
you're not forced. you do not need dynamic typing to write a program, you CS class baby duck.

C is fairly easy to learn and use, and by the time you're ready to write a program that's worth a damn you'll be ready to learn a language that traces part of its heritage back to C. C is also a perpetual idiot test, so using it as a beginners languages keeps dumb shits out of programming that might have flourished with an easier language and made godawful software.

do not write anything userland that's larger than say, acme, in C.
>>
>>54776029
Sasuga konachan sugoi yo ne
>>
>>54776234
this. bloatfuckers and webdevs ruins the world.
>>
>>54776029
this seems most likely to be an attempt to "trigger the /g/", but if not, im saddened
>>
>>54776029
I stopped reading there.
>>
>>54776029
Actually C code is LESS dense than assembler. Like, more than one C line corresponds to one assembler line, on average. It's that bad.
>>
>>54782137
that's not a fault of C
a cpu can only compare 2 things at once, so you have to split it across multiple instructions if you want to do anything non-trivial
>>
What language should I use instead of C? C++? I don't like bloat, but shit like Java seems even worse
>>
>>54782521
Machine code.
>>
Because efficiency matters when you're learning.
People that don't learn while thinking of the efficiency of their programs end up making bloated messes when they start working.
Because when they are experienced enough they can cut corners to save time, not when they are learning.
>>
>>54782146
He's saying the opposite of that
It should be properly read as "I'm a dumbass who doesn't know what the fuck I'm talking about, please stop bumping my shitty thread"
>>
>>54776029
>when it teaches bad habits about computers
C merely enables you to do "bad" things, but blaming the language for your own incompetence just shows how retarded you are.
>>
>>54776029
From what hipster "CS Major's" blog are you regurgitating all this?
>>
>>54782521
Rust
>>
>>54776029
Lurk more before posting.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C11_%28C_standard_revision%29
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.