[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How often do you format your PC? I hate how messy Windows gets
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: 12321443654765.png (7 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
12321443654765.png
7 KB, 400x400
How often do you format your PC?

I hate how messy Windows gets after a few months of use. Usually format every 8-10 months.
>>
usually on major windows releases like going from 7 to 8 or 8.1 to 10.
never reinstalled between those.
I don't install every shit I see so my system is in a relative clean state.
>>
>>54774323
It only gets messy if you make it messy, and it's been that way since Windows 7. My 2500k build lasted on the install until I upgraded the CPU and motherboard a few months ago.
>>
I haven't formatted my main machines since 2012. Same win 7 installation.
>>
>>54774323
It's best if you format to ext4 and
Install gentoo.
>>
>>54774375
>>54774388
I pirate a lot of games. A lot of the releases install random shit everywhere. For example, they spam redistribute packages in random program files folders and that sort of stuff. If I didn't pirate I would probably not format my PC this much.
>>
>not reinstalling windows two times a day..
>>
>>54774388
>upgrading from a still stronk 2500k
what the fuck mang
>>
Everyone knows Windows gradually degrade in performance so you need to format once a month if you don't want to drop below 90% performance.
>>
>>54774323
>Usually format every 8-10 months.
Same, it's not a Windows thing, I feel it's the way some of us use a computer.

I've been using Debian for 6 months and it's not the same, I'll give it some 4-5 months more before a clean install.
>>
never
I have 4 computers for different purposes:
1. Gaming PC - JUST for gaming, so no video editing, web browsing (besides for drivers etc), runs Windows 7 atm, and only turned on when i game.
2. Windows Laptop - older HP DV 6000 series (Intel graphics etc), i use it for on the go stuff (i stay sometimes at my sister's house to watch her kids while she's out of town for work - runs Win7, and i don't install a ton of crap on it, but i use it for office crap, some video capture (only computer i have that works with my Gamebridge, i use it for VHS to DVD transfers for people), and when i uninstall things, i clean up the registry, and when i do bulk deletes, i defrag.
3. eOS laptop - old Gateway NV52, used only for shitposting and streaming media to my Chromecast (very fucking impressed with that over having a dedicated HTPC, btw!) like Popcorntime, tab casting, and streaming media with VideoCast.
4. old Dell P4 Optiplex that i have running eOS i use for podcasting, bit of video rendering, watching stuff in bed (it's hooked up to a 16:10 monitor and a 27" CRT via sVideo) as well as it pipes wireless through my apartment via an old router i have (my landlord upstairs includes Fiber Wifi in the rent for free, but to keep stuff on my own network and to refine the signal due to all of the pipes going through the house for hot water heat, it kills her signal). So no, i don't reformat. complete waste of time, as it took me about tow days to update Windows 7 when i installed it on the two computers running them, whereas eOS took me about an hour. Footnote, as someone who started out on Debian and Puppy Linux, and went through a lot of distros, im pleased with eOS.
>mfw.jpg
>>
>>54774672
>once a month
What the fuck?
>>
>>54774323
Every year, not because I need to but because it feels good to start fresh again.
>>
>>54774705
>Win 7
>gaming

o I am laffin
>>
File: angry bird killen em.jpg (29 KB, 412x430) Image search: [Google]
angry bird killen em.jpg
29 KB, 412x430
>>54774323
Every 2 weeks, thanks Microsoft.
>>
>>54774672
Stop installing bloatware from cnet.
>>
>>54774740
got my win10 upgrade preloaded and ready to go, just waiting on my new CPu and Ram, and then i'll let it go, so to speak. i've optimized Win7 to be less resource hungry as it is, and hoping WinX will carry those settings over
>>
>>54774323
Never. Keep your shit in check and you will be fine. Only reason for format is in case something gets fucked up and is times easier to reinstall than fixing it.
>>
>>54774435
>ext4
>not zfs
>>
>>54774740
???
>>
>>54774388
>it's been that way since Windows 7
Correction: It's been that way since Windows 3.1
>>
>>54774323
At the start of each new month.
>>
Whenever I feel it's necessary; there's no regular interval.
>>
>>54774644
I got a 5930k on the cheap. Couldn't say no.
>>
>>54774958
Correct.
>>
Speaking of formatting Windows 10, is if better to do the full reset thing over a clean install?
>>
>>54775248
clean install obviously
>>
>>54774323
Windows: about once a year
OS X: once a half a decade or never
Linux: never or if i seriously fuck up or if the distro's shit
>>
>>54775254
But why?
>>
>>54774958
I remember researching if zfs is ok for ssd's spent few hours and conclusion was that ext4 is better but I don't remember the reasons - yet I remember the conclusion.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.