[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it a good idea to put my PC in my check-in baggage? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: zalman_z9_u3.jpg (116 KB, 1296x864) Image search: [Google]
zalman_z9_u3.jpg
116 KB, 1296x864
Is it a good idea to put my PC in my check-in baggage? I'm moving to another country for a while and I'd bring my PC with me.

Last time this happened I took it all apart, packed each part in bubble-wrap + antistatic bags, and put them carefully in my check-in baggage between clothes etc (minus harddrives, those went in my carry-on), then shipped my case separately with some shipping company because I had more personal stuff that I needed to send anyway.
This time I should have enough space in my suitcase to jam the whole case in without taking anything apart, but is that a good idea? I seems sturdy enough and the parts aren't loose, plus it'd have clothes and whatnot wrapped around it to absorb impact. I was thinking maybe to take out the graphics card and the heatsink at least since those seem most likely to shake around.
>>
>>54767884
Employees can sometimes abuse it like crazy if it doesn't have fragile stickers on it. Probably best to do what you did before if you want to be absolutely sure nothing breaks. Otherwise your second plan seems like it would work well. Just put a lot of clothing to protect the case from bouncing around
>>
>>54767884
Just fill the inside of the computer with bubble wrap and mark it fragile.
>>
Take out your gpu and hard drive and carry then on
Worked for me
>>
>>54769668
What he said,

Also if youve got a big ass CPU cooler remove it as well. You dont want it ripped out due to vibrations or the mishandling by the bozos in the luggage dept.
>>
>>54769668
>>54769726
I would do what these guys say.
>>
I took my pc in carry on luggage to quakecon last year with no issues.
That was ATL~DAL though, I'm not sure if stuff would change leaving the country.
>>
Remove the heat sink, graphics card, and hard drives.
Bring the hard drives as carry-on like last time.
Fill the case with something--no need to waste space. It also helps in case something were to impact the side because we all know how careful airports are with baggage.
Wrap the case in something or have clothes at all sides.
>>
File: 1525424583.jpg (82 KB, 967x584) Image search: [Google]
1525424583.jpg
82 KB, 967x584
Thanks everyone, I'll probably go with gpu+hardrives+heatsink in carry-on and rest including case in check-in baggage. Filling out the inside also sounds like a neat idea, I'll make sure to do that too.
>>
>>54771409
Fuck.. I helped an anime manchild..
How dare you
>>
Take out the hard drives, cpu cooler, and GPU, fill the inside of the case with something that can insulate the inside and not short out any components. Do the same with your other components and hope for the best
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.