[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Elementary Os & other beautiful linux distros
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: el_el.jpg (354 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
el_el.jpg
354 KB, 1920x1080
What do /g/ think about Elementary Os?

Should I go for it?
And are there any other distros that looks sick as EOs
>>
repository is old as my grandpa

If you just care about how it "looks sick" then learn to rice.
>>
>>54766441
i've just googled how to rice, thanks.
then should i go for ubuntu and make it löök gööd?
>>
>>54766303
Don't use eos. Garbage distro made by a bunch of douchebags. I wouldn't use this trash even if it was good.
>>
>>54766457
no, Ubuntu is also outdated as shit.
>>
>>54766536
recomment something ;_;
>>
>>54766555
arch
>>
>>54766457
I learned most ricing on xubuntu. xfce is pretty out of the box IMO and it's fairly easy to get going on customization. plus the repos are current. after you're comfortable with that, install openbox or window manager like awesome or i3 and go nuts.

dotshare.it is a good place for configs and most people share their dot files on github. open an account there
>>
>>54766493

why
>>
>>54766457
It's good, I would recommend Xubuntu personally because I hate unity but up to you. Keep in mind 16.04 release is far from perfect and there are numerous bugs unifxed, you will likely have to wait for 16.04.1 or fix some shit yourself. Most of it is copy pasting into terminal. Install arc gtk theme + paper/moka icon theme, or just use stock greybird + elementary since it actually looks good (that's what I do)
Ignore this >>54766562
>>
>>54766584
They use shitty tactics to make money, notice how you can't just download their distro for free, you have to pay $0. eos dev actually called people who don't give them cash thieves, and that's after getting 99% of their distro forked from ubuntu which is forked from debian.
>>
>>54766571
thank you anon, i will check the link.
>>54766622
i also do hate unity, currently i sont want to wait as my laptop is clean and hungry for an os. should i go for 16 (or what was there before 16.04) or should i wait? also, any ETA?
>>
>>54766655
I would go for 16.04, that's what I personally use. 14.04.4 is too outdated for home user.
>>
>>54766750
Ok, thank you. I am going to download and try it later today.
>>
>>54766303
>>54766562
kek
>>
install osx with elementary apps & linux subsystem
>>
>>54766634
That's actually kind of wrong actually
>>
I'd use pantheon with Ubuntu if it wasn't fucking broken and outdated

Eos is fucking trash, and fuck that guy for not just making an ubuntu flavor
>>
>>54766303
>isis
eOS confirmed jihadi terrorists
>>
>>54766303

Asking the wrong people senpai, everybody here will tell you it's shit

I used it for a few weeks and although I can safely say it's great for normie tasks, power users will tire quickly with this distro.
>>
>>54767118
what's broken about it?
>>
File: Untitled.png (351 KB, 1366x721) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
351 KB, 1366x721
>>54766303
Get fucked. I don't want to be called a thief for downloading free software by a bunch of copy cat OSX wannabe niggers.
>>
>>54766303
used it for a couple weeks, it was very nice to look at. Tried both that and deepin and I'm reasonably satisfied. I can't be assed to edit config files for 2 hours to get a wm to look like that so I'm grateful for the option. However as others have pointed out, the packages are pretty old and, worse than that, it tries to stop you from even basic modification like enabling desktop icons
>>
File: 1463760019540.jpg (27 KB, 600x750) Image search: [Google]
1463760019540.jpg
27 KB, 600x750
>>54766562
>>
>>54768751
[Citation needed]
It is normal to pay for stuff, they let you choose 0$ without further questions, you are just a poorfag parasite, using others people work and complain about they asking for non mandatory retribution, seriusly people like you are the cancer of the earth.
>>
>>54766303
I've used it as a full time OS and it's great. It doesn't have the most recent packages, but then if it did, it wouldn't be as stable. Similar to gnome with how it 'just works', but a significantly better looking version. If you don't want to spend hours ricing (as a perfectionist, hours is not an exaggeration), then it's great.
>>
It's not light enough for my taste.
Settled on on Ubongo Mate with minimal rice. Might start using i3wm if I can get the keyboard shortcuts working.
>>
>>54766303
Try Deepin OS
>>
>>54769111
>using others people work
Funny, because that's exactly what eOS developers did. Shame that they did not pay $0 for any of shit they stole. Anyway here is your (You) now kill yourself out of /g/
>>
>>54766303
Love eos cause they suggest to pay for it. Let's make America great again.
>>
Use debian, arch is a timesink, ubuntu is bloatware. Debian is best of everything.
>>
>put panel on top
>download and run docky
Congratulations your distro looks like osx now
>>
>>54766555
Not him, but LMDE2 or OpenSUSE Tumbleweed.
>>
>>54770246
>arch is a timesink
not if you use antergos like a sane person
>>
File: 1464312898922.png (5 KB, 467x87) Image search: [Google]
1464312898922.png
5 KB, 467x87
Pic releated
>>
File: Tamaki_Miura_March_25_1916.jpg (480 KB, 1026x1463) Image search: [Google]
Tamaki_Miura_March_25_1916.jpg
480 KB, 1026x1463
>>54770421
>>54770246
it took me less than an hour to set up arch and from there you only have to type a command to update it every so often so idk what you guys are talking about
>>
>>54770572
it took me less than 10 minutes to set up Antergos and from there you only have to type a command to update it every so often so idk what you are talking about
>>
>>54770421
If only Cnchi wouldn't shit itself 99% of the time and throw gpg key errors at me. Fuck distro remixes/flavours!
>>
>>54770588
i mean if you're a computer hobbyist who doesn't want to put half the time it takes to watch a movie into setting up his computer then... okay
>>
>>54770640
only problem I had was that LibreOffice apparently breaks it. But yeah they should get on that
>>
Whatever you are looking for is the only reason to pick a distro. I use Ubuntu and Fedora because they have the biggest amount of support out of most distros. I don't use fringe distros like Elementary because you can just rice your desktop if you really cared about aesthetics.
>>
Apricity os
>>
>Isis
>>
>>54766818
Actually how is it wrong actually?
>>
>>54773634
It isn't. Whenever this comes up everybody seems to conveniently forget that Ubuntu does the same passive aggressive donation thing when you go to download it.

Not that it matters anyway. eOS really is a huge pile of shit. Very pretty out of the box, if you like that kind of thing, but it's the buggiest most out of date distro I've ever had the displeasure of using. I tried it out of curiosity, half the software I use wasn't in their repos, the other half was at least a year out of date, and something crashed / failed to open / was otherwise broken every five minutes.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.