[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is Gentoo's pros and cons anyway, and would a shitty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: Gentoo_Linux_logo_matte.svg.png (147 KB, 978x1024) Image search: [Google]
Gentoo_Linux_logo_matte.svg.png
147 KB, 978x1024
What is Gentoo's pros and cons anyway, and would a shitty netbook run faster on compiled programs than pre-compiled binary bullshit?
>>
More customizable than other distros, choose what features get compiled in, more lightweight packages, more processor architecture specific compile time optimization. It's noticeably faster than arch and other binary distros.

Con would be its learning curve and long install/upgrade times.
>>
I'll just leave this here
http://www.funroll-loops.info/
>>
>>54765803
>Noticeably faster
Benchmark /citation/ needed buddy
>>
>>54765845
I have both installed, I don't need to prove anything to you.
>>
>>54765832
Posting this is like posting the retarded anti-arch comics -- Content like this is made by bitter people who either failed to install the given distro and carry a grudge and shitpost about it to make themselves feel better, or by people who simply have too much time on their hands and think people want to hear their useless uninformed opinions on topics they don't know anything about.
>>
>>54765882
Kek, prime example why people meme the install gentoo shit
>>
>>54765758
>pros
You'll be able to consider yourself one
>cons
Your CPU core temperature will be comparable to Earth's core temperature
>>
>>54765758
Currently installing it on my eee pc, so I'll get back when it's finished... So round Tuesday
>>
>>54765952
Why don't you do the bench marking? I have nothing to gain with the results.
>>
>>54765758
Pros: l33t hax0r skillz xDDD
Cons: Its logo looks like Pacman with Down Syndrome
>>
>>54766121
cannot unsee
>>
>>54765758
>pros
Hardened kernels / compile your own kernel / use flags / ebuilds / loads of custom overlays
>cons
Can take awhile on older hardware / building and optimizing kernels can be a bitch /
>>
>>54765758
Pros: thunder fast like the wind
Cons: irrelevant
>>
>Pros
USEflags
>Cons
Timesink but that point is moot since everyone here is a NEET
>>
I don't think my systems run faster using Gentoo instead of other distros. I just like Gentoo. Build from the ground up is nice - install steps similar to arch but more light weight. I have this installed on a dell10 netbook and it works fine.

If you can get past the install time, management of Gentoo is really nice. Great package manager, use flags are awesome at cutting down bullshit, multi lib works really well, repo always has up to date packages, easy to add overlay if needed.

I distro hopped for years before Gentoo. After using it I've never had the desire to change.
>>
>pros
Will take 9.5 years to compile X, or Firefox/Chromium, allowing you to do something other than play the "I'm more l33t than you" game on 4chan.
>cons
You might start to believe your shitty netbook is a usable computer. Throw that shit in the trashcan and buy something fast enough to browse the internet, like a god damn pentium II or something. Jesus why did you even buy that?

Seriously though, you're using a shitty computer. The time it will take you to compile and install gentoo could be used to work a minimum wage job and buy a laptop that doesn't suck as much.
>>
>Pros
Portage, USE Flags, Masking, flexible, optimized, ect. It's everything I ever hoped for in an operating system. Handling a source based distro also helps show professionals that you know more than the average user. It's also fun and of course everyone knows fun rules.
>Cons
I guess compile times? I don't really care about that. I always prefer compiling from source because of the noticeable performance increase.
>>
Pro: it's fun if you like learning Linux
Cons: it's annoying if you want to never tinker

Anyone else at default governor to performance and leave desktop on 24/7? I've done this with an oc'd 2600k as well as a file server and separate kvm server with no heating issues, but somebody did recently point out to me how high my comed bill is compared to theirs.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.