[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OpenGL is superior to DirectX Prove me wrong faggöts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: reflect3.gif (8 KB, 308x331) Image search: [Google]
reflect3.gif
8 KB, 308x331
OpenGL is superior to DirectX

Prove me wrong faggöts
>>
>>54765358
no one is gonna prove you wrong.
opengl has been the industry standard since forever.
directx is really only for games on windows platforms.
>>
>>54765358
You're wrong
>>
>>54765375
Yup
>>
>>54765358
DirectX : a set of APIs that deal with 3D graphics, monitor enumeration, fonts, 2D graphics, sound, input, video playback
OpenGL: an API for 3D graphics
Perhaps you meant that OpenGL is superior to Direct3D?

As far as I know those two are pretty much equivalent in capabilities, the only real difference being what Hardware/OS supports them. Even then it depends on what you're dealing with. Direct3D gives you PC/Windows and Console/Xbox, while OpenGL gives you PC/Windows, PC/Linux, PC/OS X, Mobile/Android, with OS X drivers being known to be of ... medicore quality at best.
>>
>>54765375
/thread
>>
>>54765449
This OP screams, "I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT"
>>
>>54765430
OpenGL is also on PSX
Also you already said PC/Linux, you don't haveto say Mobile/Android, just say Mobile/Linux and Mobile/iOS
>>
>>54765430
Also OS X breaths OpenGL, all it's PDF graphics are being rendered with software OpenGL calls on SSE, well now-a-days maybe on GPU.
>>
>>54765430
>PC/OSX
u wot?
>>
>>54765462
Ummmm... by PSX do you mean Playstation?
PS4 uses GNM and GNMX
PS3 uses GCM and PSGL with an optional OpenGL wrapper on top (rarely used due to perfomance issues)
I'm not sure about PS2 and PS1, but I don't think they're relevant anymore.
>>
>>54765358
DirectX does more then OpenGL. It's comparing apples with a fruitbasket.
>>
>>54765572
Exactly, and the point is it uses it, if you're going to count all of them you have to include it. There are actually games released with the GL wrapper.
>>
>>54765472
And yet OS X 10.9 is stuck on OpenGL 4.1 (or 3.3, depending on the hardware) - https://developer.apple.com/opengl/capabilities/
Hint: 4.1 was published in 2010. That's ancient now.
Even opensource Linux drivers are ahead of Apple on this one and THAT's saying something. (recent patches gave them OpenGL 4.3 compability)
>>
>>54765680
>implying OpenGL 4.1 is not OpenGL
>>
lolno. OpenGL is not superior at all, it is an illogical mess when compared to Direct3D, and the drivers suck. The only reason why OpenGL could be considered better is cross-platform support.
>>
>>54765478
The days of PowerPC Macs are long gone, what Apple sells nowdays is a shiny PC with their OS.
>>
>>54765375
>directx is really only for games on windows platforms.
No shit sherlock
>>
>>54765680
>OpenGL
>>
whatever, there's vulkan now
>>
>>54765478
There's no difference in a modern PC and Mac, both utilize same hardware
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.