[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you're not excited about Snaps, you should be. They offer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: snappy_orange_hex-2.png (57 KB, 566x400) Image search: [Google]
snappy_orange_hex-2.png
57 KB, 566x400
If you're not excited about Snaps, you should be. They offer a lot of advantages over standard deb packages:

Sandboxing (with a caveat for apps running under X11 - Mir and Wayland address this issue) Even if a snap is malicious, it can't hurt you. This is absolutely untrue of debs - you have to give them root access to your host! Want to try out a promising app from a suspicious website? No worries with a Snap. With a deb, you're playing with fire.

Easy packaging & distribution The easier it is for developers to develop, package, and distribute their apps, the more we all benefit. More apps, higher-quality apps, and faster updates.

Self contained Snaps easily survive upgrades because their dependencies are included. No more worrying about losing your favorite niche app because it didn't make the cut.

Application partitioning When you uninstall a Snap, everything is uninstalled. No more miscellaneous files mucking up root.

If you still have doubts about Snaps, I strongly recommend researching them. They have very powerful advantages over traditional packaging.
>>
blatant ad is blatant
>>
>>54764883
>3 apps need mysql
>Install 3 instances of mysql
noty
>>
>>54764883
Hey, you're obviously terrible at viral marketing since all you do is copy paste what your boss wrote instead of actually doing your job.
So, can I have your job?
>>
>>54764883
Ubuntu won't become popular because of Snap.
While it's a great idea and all it's NOT what would make people switch, and neither is convergence.
Xorg is shit, Pulseaudio is shit, Unity 7 is bloated shit, and Unty 8 and Mir are still a long way away.
Ubuntu offers nothing over Windows 10 for the average user, and this isn't going to change any time soon.
Ubuntu is a downgrade in almost every way - it runs worse, has worse support for modern hardware including 4k monitors.
>>
>>54765113
its good for learning about computers
its good for engineers sometimes
its good for researchers sometimes
its great for pajeets
it will keep virus/antivirus people in business for eternity

your asking too much everyone knows the windows operating system is the most complex invention of mankind rivaling the space station in complexity.
>>
>>54764965

It's free software.

>>54764883

>apps

Is libpng an app?
>>
>>54765187
Point is the average user doesn't care what's going on under the hood.
>>
So more bloat because duplicate dependencies as they're all sandboxed.
>>
>>54764987
If the version is the same it won't install it again
>>
>>54765207
If there's an average user on /g/ he needs to fuck off and die.
On this board, things like market share and average users are not valid arguments. Since this is not a board for marketers or average users.
>>
>>54765113
4k monitors make up my 0.1% of the monitor market. Even Windows has issues. Come back in 5 years.
>>
>>54765245
Come on now don't be so defensive.
I just want GNU/Linux to succeed and that can't happen unless we acknowledge its problems.

And there's 2 ways, you either create a new market and are the first on that market, or you make something so good people are compelled to use it.
Chromebooks popularise Linux on the cheap laptop market, Android if you consider it Linux dominates the tablet and smartphone market, they defined these new markets.
On the other hand years ago Firefox managed to become the most popular browser on its merits, it was better than IE in every way and it stole users from IE.
I firmly believe a distro can be made that is so compelling that it makes people using Windows feel compelled to switch, just like Firefox and IE.

>>54765248
Fine I shouldn't have said 4k, but there's a lot of new laptops that are full HD and you are fucked when it comes to DPI scaling on them.
>>
>>54765296
>>54765113
Unity is way better at scaling than windows wtf are you guys talking about?

Also it certainly does not run worse than windows. It just has worse graphics drivers for gpu accelerated stuff and games but thats the case for all linux.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.