[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's over. Lenovo is dying. ThinkPads don't live up
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: lenovo.png (2 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
lenovo.png
2 MB, 1920x1200
It's over. Lenovo is dying. ThinkPads don't live up to their name anymore. Consumer shit to replace every year will be the only option in the foreseeable future. How will we cope?
>>
>>54764286
they fucked up hard recently on the BIOS of their thinkservers. Had to do a recall actually.
>>
good thing thinkpads last forever, or i'd have to buy something else

now that moore's law has settled, which is objectively the best old thinkpad?
>>
>>54765179
>Moore's law
>settled
Wewew laddy
>>
>>54764286
>Consumer shit to replace every year
My Macbook Pro 13" I got in 2010 lasted me five years. Seems decent to me.
>>
>>54764286
one of you businessmonkeys explain to me why companies always try to grow and branch out into every market they can.
why not just stick to your niche?
>>
>>54765263
So that a company can survive if they get competed out of one of their markets.
>>
File: Screenshot 2016-04-14 17.36.31.png (48 KB, 731x572) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2016-04-14 17.36.31.png
48 KB, 731x572
>>54765179
T601F my man

ideal balance of specs and quality
>>
By buying cheap used ThinkPads
>>
>>54765263
It's better to expand and try to cover the whole market than to stay in one niche which can be overrun by a big adversary whenever they want.
>>
>>54765201
Except it has. Or are you someone who really thinks scifi will ever be real. We have plateau'd senpai.
>>
>>54765263
It's like a parasitic bacterial infection, it spreads and digs itself deep into the host organism so it isn't out competed by the immune system or any other bacteria that are harmful to it.
>>
>>54764286

Open source hardware. Well be able to build out own shit soon I hope. Also I have a t520 a w520 and a x260. Between those I am set for at least a decade or two. Honestly I only have the x260 for that battery life I can go all day working in text editors and sshing with terminals and not plug it in. The 520s are otherwise better in every way.
>>
>>54764286
Yet another reason to purchase the new Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display.
>>
>>54767525
This.
There will always be someone to continue the thinkpad stuff.
Worst case, it will simply become a niche market.
>>
>>54765201

We need a tech breakthrough. Intel is down to 10nm and is making noises like there is not much further to go.

Mobile will these companies the excuse to ignore raw gains in favor or heat savings and power efficiency.
>>
File: faguette.jpg (40 KB, 550x552) Image search: [Google]
faguette.jpg
40 KB, 550x552
>>54767530

Get out.
>>
>>54764286
XPS 13
>>
>made a loss
what
>>
>>54767893
You can tell the media jews are on to lenovo. They probably invested a lot of money on its main competitor or some such.
>>
Get a T42
Stockpile replacement parts
Shitpost forever
>>
>Preinstaled adware
>BIOS installs crapware/backdoor
>Sales drop
Who would have thought?
>>
>>54767983

This they are shitting up the company. It has nothing to do with changing markets Lenovo is just paying the price for being jews.

Now the jews sell out of them infest another company and spin hay for months by talking shit about lenovo and building up where ever they went to in the media.
>>
>>54767651
>Mobile will these companies the excuse to
lolwut?
>>
>>54767974
I've seen a fair amount of people posting with T42s lately, why is it favored over the T43? Or is it just a question of availability?
>>
>>54764286
they just cost too much. Like Apple shit.
>>
>>54767434
>>54767651
PARADIGM SHIFT
A
R
A
D
I
G
M
>>
As long as big business keep buying business laptops, and replace said laptops every 4 years with new business laptops, with the replaced laptops hitting the used market on eBay and craigslist, there won't be a problem for educated laptop buyers.

Most people just want to get done and over with the purchase of new hardware, that's why they go to bestbuy, take the first thing that they kinda like that's on sale and don't bother tinkering or reinstalling the OS ever, if it ends up being broke they'll call their son/cousin/neighbor over to fix it, or geeksquad or something.
If it lasted them over 2 years and they've kinda grown tired of using it, even if its broken they'll sell it for parts or hand it down to someone and go buy a new one.
>>
>>54768334
T43 was the first lenovo branded t-series.
Although evidence of lenovo has been found in thinkpads as early as the T41.
Also, I guess the T42 is a lot more common than the T43.
>>
>>54764286
>tfw almost bought moto X but realized Motorola is owned by Lenovo now
Fuck them. I have a y15 and it's been hilariously bad

> bad screen, sent back for warranty replacement
> have to do low level manual installation of drivers because Lenovo dues some weird proprietary bullshit that makes anything auto pull >1 year old versions
> poor heat management
> keyboard is trash
> injected adware bullshit
>>
>>54768334
T42 was last t series IBM made before Lenovo took over, it's the most upgradable of the _4x's and of them tends to have the best price to performance ratio.
A T42 with an SSD and the 2ghz pentium m 755 is absolutely godly when it costs like 60-80$
>>
>worlds largest pc maker
>dying
>>
>>54768477
>>54768717
>T43 was Lenovo
Source? http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_History This page doesn't agree.
>>
>>54767434
?

Didn't google open source their architecture which in itself is a 3 generation jump?

Hurdles are cleared down to the 4nm node last time I checked, it's only a matter of time. Not to mention single atom transistors have been demonstrated, and luminal and quantum computing are in the works...
>>
>>54769522
Google Tensor provides instructions to accelerate machine learning, the same way early GPUs were built for graphics and graphics alone. My guess is, it implements a lot of matrix operations in one instruction, since matrices get used in machine learning a lot. Maybe you could trick Tensor into doing general purpose compute, but it wouldn't necessarily be faster than GPGPU.

Also, no one really measures processor advancement in "generations." There are process nodes, but a 3-node leap makes no sense for Google because Google doesn't own its own fab units. There are fundamental insights (for example, RISC was an important insight that led to a new "generation" of processors,) but why 3 and not 1? Claims like "3 generation jump" should set your bullshit meter off right away.
>>
>>54768529
>Not buying nearly perfect Moto X 2014 when Moto was still under google
>>
I hope they crumble. Bought the X250 MemePad and the build quality is embarrassing.
>>
Thinkpads have been dead ever since they went to 16:9
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.