[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rust programming language
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5
File: Rust_logo.png (19 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
Rust_logo.png
19 KB, 480x480
What do you think about the Rust programming language? It is the most loved language in the Stack Overflow Developer Survey.
>>
meme
>>
>>
File: gopher.png (111 KB, 1634x2224) Image search: [Google]
gopher.png
111 KB, 1634x2224
>>
>>54761169
It's a meme language, but it's actually pretty good. I hope it sticks around.
>>
Yes and Stack Overflow also loves using jQuery over just javascript. Fuck them.
>>
>>54761169
I think it is going to replace C and C++ in a very long time.
>>
AHAHAHHAH YOU GAYU FAGGOT !!! AHAHHAHAHAHHAHAH!!!! FUCK YOU AND DIE!!!!!
>>
http://www.viva64.com/en/b/0324/
>>
>>54761503
The main argument of this article is false.
>>
>>54761446
This. So many times i wish stack overflow had an option to slap motherfuckers through the internet when they upvote some overly complex jquery or "npm install gayfagpkg" nodejs bullshit and then down at the bottom there is one sane answer no one votes for that explains how to simply achieve the result with some simple vanilla javascript.
>>
>>54761169
It's on the exact same level as Nimrod and Go, wants to be the new C but doesn't get that auto memory management is the wrong way to go. I'll wait for the next meme, this one won't last more than a year, people will forget about it.
>>
Daily reminder that D > Rust
>>
File: please no more.png (533 KB, 1250x875) Image search: [Google]
please no more.png
533 KB, 1250x875
>>54761169
>What do you think about the Rust programming language?
pic sums it up
>>
>>54762404
>auto memory management is the wrong way to go

how so?

do you not like memory safety?
>>
>>54762428
Daily reminder that D will never be popular
>I love D and want to see it succeed
>>
>>54762501
Obsession with safety hamstrings expressiveness. A language can be powerful (read: useful) xor safe.
>>
T'fuck is rust
>>
>>54762404
>but doesn't get that auto memory management is the wrong way to go
What auto memory management? Rust uses RAII, same as C++. There's also optional reference counting (with manual cycle breaking), also same as C++. There is no tracing GC support.
>>
>>54763173
What the fuck are you doing on /g/?
>>
>>54762547
All the safety features in Rust are optional. You can even use inline assembly if you want to. But they are intentionally annoying to opt out of to discourage people from doing so without good reason.
>>
>>54763173
It's a language that nobody actually uses, yet clueless induhviduals on 4chan keep mentioning it.
>>
>>54762488
may be a memelang. it's got a lot of pros nonetheless
>>
I used it.
You have to give the compiler hints on every fucking computation or else it's too dumb to compile anything.
Drop'ed for now. Will come back to it later tho', community is nice.
>>
>>54762536
Then write some useful app in D.
>>
>>54762428
What are the D's features that make it superior?

I'm unfamiliar with D.
>>
Rust is a cosy language. Great build system and package manager. Powerful static typing. Fast and safe. What more could you want?
>>
>>54767237
What's a good app written in Rust?
>>
>>54767668
Servo
>>
File: memeprob.jpg (28 KB, 480x439) Image search: [Google]
memeprob.jpg
28 KB, 480x439
>>54762488
>>
>>54767728
>Asked for a good app
>The best anyone comes up with is an experimental browser that's nowhere near finished
>>
>>54767795
What's your problem? It will be good when it's ready.
>>
>>54767815
he doesn't respect any technology that doesn't give him instant gratification because he's still a kid
>>
>>54767237
>what more could you want?
How about comprehensible syntax, a mature toolchain, and programming by contract features?
>>
>>54767865
>syntax
you got your git, then you got your gud. you need both to really soar though.

>toolchain
cargo isnt' good enough for you?

>programming by contract features
oh, you mean you want the language to solve a design/social problem? now i understand why you made your first two complaints. you're an idiot.
>>
It's a good language. There just isn't much of a reason to use it for important stuff yet.
>>
>>54762404
All of Rust's safety is purely at compile time. No garbage collection, no reference counted pointers (unless you specifically want one, Rc or Arc), etc. It's easy to also drop into "unsafe code" where the Rust compiler won't stop you from pointer arithmetic, aliasing, FFI, etc.

It's not comparable to "systems languages" that achieve safety through taking away from the programmer. Rust just asks for a little more in the types and makes compromise with the unchecked unsafe blocks.
>>
>>54767895
You want to know how I know Rust is never going to grow beyond a niche little hobby language?

>>54767930
>all of Rust's safety is purely at compile time
Nope. Some checks are only possible at runtime, and of course Rust does those at runtime.
>>
>>54767969
>You want to know how I know Rust is never going to grow beyond a niche little hobby language?
ok, i'll bite. why?
>>
>>54767969
Like what checks?
>>
>>54768019
array index bounds
>>
>>54768054
Oh, I suppose so.

That's what you get when you decide against dependent/refinement types. Big mistake.
>>
>>54767991
The attitude of >>54767895, disregarding useful features for some of what Rust is supposed to be good at, not comprehending why someone would want stability and standardisation guarantees, and putting the blame on the developer for language faults.

>>54768019
Accessing an item in an array chosen by user input is one that comes to mind. Can't statically check that.
>>
>>54768093
>The attitude of >>54767895, disregarding useful features for some of what Rust is supposed to be good at, not comprehending why someone would want stability and standardisation guarantees, and putting the blame on the developer for language faults.
The Rust developers themselves do not have that problem. They're quite proactive about improving the quality of the tooling, and very humble about what they've accomplished so far compared to how the language could be improved in the future. They make an effort to think this way, and building Servo is part of that effort, because it means they have a team of developers complaining to them all the time about stuff they could be doing better.
>>
>>54768760
The intentions of the original creators are worth less than the campaign promises of a Democrat. As an open source project, it's the nature of Rust to have its future decided by public opinion. If there is even one rude anonymous fanboy on 4chan with terminal myopia about how the language can improve, then there was never any hope.
>>
>>54762428
But no one uses D
>>
>>54762547
You're an idiot.
>>
>>54767815
>It will be good when it's ready
That's debatable. Firefox isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of Mozilla's ability.
>>
>>54771113
newsbang, no body uses rust ither lmao
>>
The best non-functional programming language.
>>
>>54771680
>muh javascripts
>>
>>54761503
The author of this article wrote another article half a year later. About how Nim is a good language. Some of his arguments he used for "why Rust sucks" he used again, but this time it was "why Nim is good". Bias.
>>
>>54761503
Note: the article was written at the time Rust hasn't been 1.0 yet. A part of the written was not actual at the time it was written, a port is not actual now.
>>
>>54766817
>community is nice

yeah, if you're into abusive sjw feminist gfs
>>
>>54761169
This is what I think:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8z0NHv5mm8
>>
>>54772011
abuseive is a sjw word nice try mr black flag
>>
>>54772167
Not OP.
They are a nice community, but they have some SJW influences, though
>>
>>54772167
>nice try

thanks, they are a bunch of sjw faggots though
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.