[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why aren't fan ducts more common in PC building? They
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: 8-HR-01-fan-duct.jpg (67 KB, 500x388) Image search: [Google]
8-HR-01-fan-duct.jpg
67 KB, 500x388
Why aren't fan ducts more common in PC building?

They seem like a really obvious solution, and the few tests I can find online seem to vouch for their effectiveness.

This one in particular shows very impressive gains with a pretty suboptimal duct. http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-and-Cooling/Passive-vs-Active-CPU-cooling-Thermalright-Coolers/Comparative-Testing

Is it just not aesthetic enough?
>>
>>54758899
I will now be looking into this. Thanks anon
>>
File: NaturalHabitat[1].jpg (73 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
NaturalHabitat[1].jpg
73 KB, 640x480
>>54758899
They're pretty common in prebuilt machines. Dell used to love putting that big green duct over the CPU.

And people used to love ripping them out because they didn't understand what they did.

Why they went out of style? Might have something to do with the Pentium 4 also becoming obsolete.
>>
As anon said, they were common in prebuilts. You have to take into account the size of the case, heatisink and fans for it to work. So it's not really worth hassling the consumer over.
>>
>>54758899
They're big, ugly, take up too much space and can rip easily if they aren't made of premolded plastic etc.
>>
>>54759395
Oh my god that's the same model as my old family desktop from 2002.
>>
>>54759614

Why does any of that matter unless you have a gaymen case with a glass side?
>>
>>54759395

Yeah, my g5 powermac had them

I'm thinking of making a styrene duct for my new comp. Should look nice and work pretty well. Some other people have done the same with really good temp results
>>
ducting doesn't look as cool as water cooling unless it's done right
>>
>>54759395
Ducts were a thing mostly with BTX form factor boards that Dell had a liking for during that era.
>>54759614
>They're big
So?
>ugly
A nicely designed duct system beats the shit out of a poopfan setup any day of the week.
>take up too much space
So? Why do you want your computer to look like a big empty box?
>rip easily
????????
>>
>>54759777
HOLY TRIPS
>>
>>54759652
I'm pretty sure everyone owned a Dell Dimension one point in their life.
>>
>>54760718

kek

OptiPlexes had them too.
>>
>>54758899
>using air cooling
Mhm, faggotry
>>
my attempt at it. much cooler GPU and CPU
>>
>>54758899
they get more in the way of airflow than actually help.
>>
File: 1464062546711.png (218 KB, 800x590) Image search: [Google]
1464062546711.png
218 KB, 800x590
>>54758899
I don't need any, there's one fan in the font and one on the side where the GPU's are blowing in, and two on the top blowing out, one on the back behind the radiator for the CPU water block blowing out and the GPU's blow air out anyways, all hot air gets blown out.
>>
>>54758899
I've had to print my own using a borrowed 3D printer for my C2750 motherboard. The damn thing overheats in my Lian-Li case. If any of you buy the ASRock one, you'll probably need one too. Mine was sitting at 44 degrees idle pre-shroud, 35 degrees post.
>>
>>54759716
function over looks, and personally i prefer air cooling because if something goes wrong, i have spares, water is to expensive to have spare shit laying around.
>>
>>54762911
>all hot air gets blown out.
>not all hot air gets blown the fuck out.

Son, I am disappoint.
>>
>>54763378
>>54762911
Forgot, there's one blowing in from the bottom too. Also how does not all hot air get blown out? As I just said, CPU is cooled by water and the air cooling the radiator gets blown out, GPU's blow air out the back, heat from the chipset and RAM is getting blow right out by the two fans on the top.
>>
I have a question, should the pressure in the case be positive or negative?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.