[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any non-autistic reasons why someone would choose Arch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 15
File: archpasta.png (120 KB, 650x1325) Image search: [Google]
archpasta.png
120 KB, 650x1325
Are there any non-autistic reasons why someone would choose Arch over Debian Unstable?
>>
>>54756707
Are there any non-autistic reasons why someone would choose any distro?
>>
>>54756892
Yes.
>>
>>54756904
You can't even name a single one
>>
>package manager
>simple package creation
>packages unpatched, close to upstream
>>
>>54756965
Can't or won't?
>>
>using unstable os
Just why?
>>
The real question is why someone would choose any unstable "rolling release" distro instead of a stable one.

I don't want to dread aptitude update && aptitude upgrade in fear that my system might break in unexpected ways.
>>
Arch is good if you need to customize everything, but a ton of people use it wrong. I don't think it should ever be used as a desktop, it should be used more like gentoo.
>>
>>54756707
Debian has the annoying freetard warnings and package hiding. Arch doesn't care about that stuff, proprietary software is treated as equal.
>>
>>54756707
>using Linux as a desktop OS
kek'd
>>
>>54757038
Its not really fair to say Arch is unstable. Packages do go through testing. But its certain less well tested and less stable than Debian.

I use Arch because I want bleeding edge packages for some of the tools I use for software development. The trade off isn't worth it for most peoplel.
>>
File: indian shill team alpha.png (1 MB, 1853x1000) Image search: [Google]
indian shill team alpha.png
1 MB, 1853x1000
>>54757211
>>54756892
Windows shills are on point today.
>>
>>54757239

If I want a few bleeding edge packages, I can just ./configure && make && make install
>>
>>54757309
At least I don't shill for free, freetard.
Get a life
>>
>>54757309

"Shill" is the refuge of people who can't argue on the merits.
>>
>>54757419
>can't argue on merits
because
>>using Linux as a desktop OS
>kek'd
and
>Are there any non-autistic reasons why someone would choose any distro
are such well thought-out arguments against the use of Linux.
>>
>>54756707
Yes, Debian's sources.list may conflict each other.
Also, Debian doesn't have PPA system so it's inferior to Ubuntu.

Deleting minesweeper doesn't delete your GNOME-shell in Arch
>>
>>54757357
Your 5 rupees do not count as a "payment", rajesh
>>
>>54757471
Yes they are,
Linux is meant for servers
If you actually had a job, you wouldn't have time to hack-together stupid commands in order to get a functional desktop.
But since you're a lifeless NEET, keep using Linux where it wasn't meant to be used, and feel better about yourself for being obscure.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-24_13-26-33.png (207 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-24_13-26-33.png
207 KB, 1366x768
>>54757568
Not him but I use Linux for different reasons. I do have a windows VM though
>>
>>54757239
>I want bleeding edge packages for some of the tools I use for software development.
genuine question: what does this mean? I don't do software development but i'm curious what it means to have the most up to date packages
>>
>>54757568
Shots fired. I agree with this so much. People who defend Linux because they use it as a daily OS solution are fucking retarded. Linux is for very specific purposes. Windows or even OSX for that matter are better for every day use computer shenanigans.
>>
>>54757183
So Arch is for cucks?
>>
>>54757612
That's alright, I also use Linux on my router, old laptops, my vps, and seedbox.
I'm only against these retards using it as their daily-desktop OS.
>>
>all this anti free software shilling
/g/ is truly dead.
>>
>>54757800
I windows as a daily OS under a VM hosted by Linux
>>
>>54757790
Debian*
Arch is not a wannabe freetard distro
>>
>>54757568
>>54757755
>i don't share your hobby of learning computer operating systems and tuning my computer therefore you're a lifeless neet

this is like calling people who work on their cars on the weekend lifeless

L O G I C
O
G
I
C
>>
>>54757935
I'm a Full Stack Web Developer you dense fuck.
Your hobby != Your daily production OS
>>
>>54756707
>if you have hardware made in this century
>if you want AUR
>if you prefer a blank slate to stupid defaults
Personally I use Bunsenlabs and Manjaro, the benefits of both without the need to fiddle with crappy video and wifi drivers for weeks
>>
File: 12506712.jpg (20 KB, 331x315) Image search: [Google]
12506712.jpg
20 KB, 331x315
>>54757976
>Full Stack Web Developer
>>
Someone finally made an edit of it! Made that comic about 5 years ago and it's been reposted over 600 times. It's a good joke too, the implication being the arch turd is both unprovoked in his sperging and has long pushed everyone else away by the sperging so there's nobody else to hear it.
>>
>>54757935
except people who work on their cars on weekends don't get on the internet and tell everyone that NOT working on your car every weekend is inferior to working on it. And I have many friends who like to tune / rice their cars, and they have car problems way more frequently than my non fucked with stock car.

>i don't share your hobby of learning computer operating systems and tuning my computer therefore you're a lifeless neet

I'm interested in learning linux and messing around with it, however why would I have my MAIN computer be a hacked together project?
>>
File: 1462971832488.jpg (58 KB, 540x531) Image search: [Google]
1462971832488.jpg
58 KB, 540x531
>>54758027
>NEET
>>
File: 125067188.jpg (61 KB, 331x315) Image search: [Google]
125067188.jpg
61 KB, 331x315
>>54758055
>Webdev
>Calling others NEET
LMAO
>>
>>54758055
This is the image that comes to mind everytime someone tries to tell me that using linux as a main operating system for home / casual use is a good idea.
>>
>>54758037
>except people who work on their cars on weekends don't get on the internet and tell everyone that NOT working on your car every weekend is inferior to working on it.
Do me a favor and go on /o/ right now.
>>
>>54758088
>Webdev
>Calling others NEET

>webdev is an occupation that you get paid for

you do know what NEET stands for, right?
>>
>>54758117
>Webdev
>Payment
How does it feel to live below the poverty line, poorfag ahahahaha
>>
>>54758117
Can't expect comprehension from a neckbeard living in his mom's basement

>>54758088
>>54758146
(You)
>>
Goodbye shitty anti-arch thread, enjoy desktops
>>
>>54758204
Prajeets were trying to shill windows tho
>>
>>54758146
I don't know what web developers make, I'm not the dude who said he is one. I'm just pointing out that you don't know what NE(Employed)T stands for.

>How does it feel to live below the poverty line, poorfag ahahahaha

Diverted argument to pointless insult. There's a psychological term for what you just did there.
>>
>>54758240
You seem to have a chronic delusion of everyone being jobless if he/she does not use your babbycare OS
>>
>>54757568
What you just wrote is an argument. A garbage one, but you aren't exactly trying, are you? What you wrote before isn't an argument, it's just poopyposting.

Anyway, while something like Arch or Debian unstable might not be great desktop systems, you don't have to even touch the command line for most desktop-oriented distros.
>>
>>
>>54758294
Would you recommend Debian testing or stable?
>>
>>54758313
>>54758204
Post a dope cyberpunk theme anon i need inspo
>>
File: arch_nix_by_blkdr-d51cj9p.png (1 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
arch_nix_by_blkdr-d51cj9p.png
1 MB, 1366x768
>>
>>54758279
see:
>>54758088
All I said was that you don't know what NEET stands for based on your post right there. webdev is a job, and therefore that person is not NEET by definition.

When did I say anything about OS here? When did I say anyone was jobless based on OS?
I just think people who defend their weird hobbyist use of Linux against windows are retarded hacker-meme circle-jerkers.
>>
>>
Ugh my script is broken, I'll fix it tomorrow. Anyways to cut this short: Fuck you windows shills, anti-arch shills, uninformed retards who spout memes and everything in between. I hope you all die.
>>
>>54758378
>When did I say anything about OS here?
Right here =>>54757976

I, like everyone else know what NEET means. Sorry I couldn't take you seriously (you being a ""wevdev" and all)
>>
>>54757755
Windows was getting in my way. It uses way more RAM and ends up making my rendering tasks swap to disk which makes them go slower than a retard on a reverse treadmill. Linux uses entire GBs less RAM than Windows, so I swap far less often and can get away with being cheap.

>>54758022
Used Manjaro before, it was nice but I wasn't impressed. Better than Arch, at least. Bunsenlabs is GOAT though.
>>
>>54758466
I'm not that poster, I said i'm not that poster
here:
>>54758240
>I don't know what web developers make, I'm not the dude who said he is one.

I just agree with him that people who think Linux is a daily use OS are retarded memelords.
>>
>>54758535
>people who think Linux is a daily use OS are retarded memelords.
Again, you seem to have a chronic delusion of everyone being jobless if he/she does not use your babbycare OS
>>
>>54758466
Also, what do you do that justifies using Linux? You seem to pretty hype about it.
>>
>>54757568
>Linux is meant for servers
see, this is wrong on a deep and fundamental level, and it only gained popularity on servers because it was like Unix but free (as in beer)

If you really want to run Linux on the desktop as a non NEET, just install Xubuntu. You literally don't need bleeding edge packages if you're just a regular user who wants to get things done day-to-day, and other than Broadcom wifi on a laptop (something I had an issue with recently when installing a fresh copy of Win 7, and on either system, it's "plug computer into router, download drivers/firmware, done"), it just works. 95% of the day-to-day shit you'd do on a machine is entirely doable with no fuss or fiddling with the command line under Xubuntu.

People will go "lol, noobuntu" because it's actually easy to use and just works, and anyone thinking that's a bad thing is retarded.
>>
>>54756707
It's nice if you're doing dev shit and just want up-to-date software.

Also use Arch in a VM on my work laptop for being productive.
>>
>>54758334
I'm not actually sure. Stable is more geared to servers that really need things to basically never change besides bug fixes. All old software, but it'll never crash on you.

Testing is nice, but sometimes a little slow (a few days) on getting you your security patches since the Debian security team really only maintains stable.

I actually don't think Unstable would make a bad desktop OS as long as you're careful about when you upgrade.

Ultimately, if your computer absolutely must not crash then go with Stable. If you can't stand having years-old software go with Testing.
>>
File: 1456548667769.png (13 KB, 502x577) Image search: [Google]
1456548667769.png
13 KB, 502x577
>>54758565
>what do you do that justifies using Linux

Also, the forced upgrade
>>
>>54758589
thanks senpai
>>
>>54758593
You make apps? Okay, you're not who I'm talking about then.

I'm talking about people who use Linux as a windows replace because they think it's better for every day use, which it isn't.

I don't consider writing apps an everyday use, that'd be a specialized use.
>>
>>54758565
Linux is generally faster, more hardware efficient and has better battery life for laptops.
>b-but muh DirectX
>>
>>54756707
It has unstable in its name.
>>
>>54758751
generally faster and hardware efficient, but you can't make use of the hardware, because half the things people use windows for that are taxing can't be done on Linux.

I guess if all you need, Linux can provide, it's better. But a lot of people need things Linux can't supply.
>>
>>54758751
Unless you're using an Intel atom, obviously, then windows is the superior OS.
>>
>>54758704
No retard I am talking about built in ads and annoying feedbacks within the OS
>>
>>54758821
>I'm so retarded I am unable to turn off suggestions in settings
with such a low IQ you'd get adware on your pc anyway, dumbass. They're just helping you out :^)
>>
>>54758768
Unstable doesn't mean it crashes all the time, the same way "stable" in the debian sense doesn't mean it never crashes. Stability refers to the unchanging-ness of its software. Software in Debian stable is never updated except for bug and security fixes. You'll never update debian and find a new feature or any sort of functional change. Debian unstable changes constantly, and it's unstable in that way. IIRC it still uses the latest stable version in all its packages.
>>
>>54758892
No sorry I cannot justify using an OS that comes with scam and having to turn them off like a true cuckold
>>
>>54758892
>turn off suggestions
Faggot does his screenshot look like a suggestion that can be turned off globally? Kill yourself.
>>
>>54758934
On the other hand you can justify using a toy OS on your production machine
Oh wait, you don't "produce" anything, you obese excuse of a human.
>>
>>54758982
>toy OS
Linux is not a gaymen platform, /v/. Go get cucked by ads in security patches. You wouldn't even bother with your subhuman IQ
>>
Care to show some examples of what you REALLY need?
Atm beside directx based programs you have no reasons not to use gnu/linux
>>
>>54756707
lighter
faster boot time
faster execution
better package manager
rolling release
>>
File: 1461932038686.jpg (547 KB, 2064x1096) Image search: [Google]
1461932038686.jpg
547 KB, 2064x1096
>>54759234
Manchild games
>>
>>54758982
>production machine
>you don't "produce" anything
Who produces anything at home? When I get home from work my first thought is not "Wow I think I'll start work on my hot new mixtape." I bet you're one of those "work from home" NEETfags who lives in their parents basement. Kill yourself.

Secondly, Linux is even better suited toward production than Windows. The practical problem is that a lot of people's production software doesn't support linux. If it does, then Windows is literally holding you back. See >>54758475
>>
>>54759246
>better package manager
explain
>faster execution
lots of explaining

>rolling release
so is debian unstable, pretty much.
>>
>>54760203
>Better package manement
Doesnt delete window manager when removing games
>>
>>54756707
Are there any non-autistic reasons why op made this thread?
>>
>>54760306
sounds more like the package maintainer's fault than the package manager itself, but fair enough.

faster execution tho?
>>
>>54760627
>apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade; apt-get install gimp
vs
>pacman -Syu gimp
>>
>>54756707
Well I haven't used Debian in a while but I don't believe its package manager supports drop in kernel replacement, and if apt or dpkg does it's certainly not as streamlined as pacman is. I perform code level modifications regularly and that sort of support is essential to me.
>>
>>54760860
Right. It's been a few years since I used debian, I forgot about needing to do all that just to update packages.
>>
>>54759279
The logitech speakers ruin it.
>>
there are more options for client software in arch, its not bad for a desktop.

Sure you can always compile but wasting time fucking with stuff to make it do what you want is never enjoyable.
>>
>>54756707
If you're just looking for a nice rolling release distro why not try openSUSE tumbleweed? More stable, less filling.
>>
>>54757800
Dude, are you me?
>>
>>54758922
Doesn't change the fact that it has unstable in its name and arch doesn't.

It's all about first impressions pal.
>>
>>54762735
So you're retarded then? Alright.
>>
How's your day going you fucking landwhale that you're out and shit posting again?
>>
>>54756707
the AUR, obviously. Who the fuck wants to search for and manage PPAs for every piece of software that isn't in the official repos?
>>
>>54762029
I actually tried that once. I found that it was incredibly bloated and the package manager lacked the functionality that I use to help detect packages I don't want. When I tried to ask about it in the forums, I was recommended some commands that didn't do anything close to what I was asking for, and when I pushed it further they basically told me that I'm not the target demographic because a true openSUSE user prefers to have bloat.
>>
>>54763148
I meant more besides the AUR, because that's the major thing that's been keeping me on Arch. Besides, debian has a comparable amount of source packages to Arch+the AUR. That said, you can't find patched packages like gtk2-patched-filechooser-icon-view or pamac-patched-headerbar in debian's repos, though. On the other hand even for stuff that's not in the repos, there are very often .deb files offered as downloads.

>>54763179
What was bloated about it? And can you link the thread?
>>
>>54763290
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/495792-List-all-installed-packages
>>
>>54763301
My bad. I meant
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/495792-List-all-installed-packages/page2
>>
>>54763314
Well that's disappointing. What about the bloat?
>>
>>54756707

pacman > apt in every way
identifiable and small "core" system
pick what you want without fighting shitty defaults
AUR
elitist community that knows their shit
rolling release, no burning disk images because everything is easily upgradable from pacman
cutting-edge software

Stability concerns for home users are overblown in the current year. I've had Arch systems with months of continuous uptime.
>>
I always carry around an arch iso on a shitty 1G flashdrive. It's a dual iso, so it has 32 and 64 bit versions. I've found it useful more than you would believe when working on other peoples' computers.
>>
File: 286579-romanov.jpg (29 KB, 609x640) Image search: [Google]
286579-romanov.jpg
29 KB, 609x640
>>54756707
There aren't, and if there were, gentoo would probably still be a better choice anyway.
>>
>>54756707
I use both Arch and Debian Unstable on different machines (well Debian on several machines actually). I like the Arch install more because I spent the time to make it exactly the way I wanted it to be. The main Debian system was installed in a matter of minutes and runs great. There are some things that irk me about it, but not enough to change them. For me that's the major trade-off.
>>
>>54764186
OP here, I'm basically in the same boat with you except that I'm more irked by Arch. It's exactly how I want, but it feels like Frankenstein's monster. Some of the stitches are showing where small things don't work right, like the power saving shutting off my screens while I'm watching a movie fullscreen or suspending just plain not working. Not that I haven't had my share of issues with Debian, but I'm currently on arch so that's what's fresh in my memory.
>>
>>54758784
>because half the things people use windows for that are taxing can't be done on Linux.
Like what? Movie editing and videogames exist on Linux too. The majority of Windows users have no idea how to compile software on it.
>>
>>54756976
dude, packaging for debian is easy as hell. Read up on checkinstall.
and debian only patches as much as it is needed, they care about their users, not the devs. And dpkg/aptitude is more than good enough for >99% of people. you can install guix as an addition if you want.
>>54757038
That shouldn't break anything. On sid you should always use dist-upgrade. Apt-listbugs is quite handy.
>>
>>54757336
./configure --prefix=/usr/bin por favor
>>
>>54757755
What everyday computer use do you do that requires Windows? I use Linux exclusively and only use my Windows install to game about once a month. For everyday computing, Ubuntu is just a lot more comfy.

Don't get me started on the install. In Ubuntu, literally everything works out of the box after the install, the system is up to date and everything after 15 minutes. In Windows 7 SP1, nothing works out of the box, not even ethernet so I have to install drivers from a CD (in 2016) or download them with another computer and put them on a flash drive. Then it takes literal hours to finish.

Just because of these shennanigans I decided to not use Windows more than I absolutely must. And keep in midn that I've been using Windows exclusively for all my life, only dabbling into Linux for a couple weeks at most. And now after 10 months of Linux I just don't want to go back.
>>
>>54756892
to graph ping when your internet goes out without paying 50 dollars for some microshit exclusive software so you can show your technician when the internet went out or when theres packet loss
>>
>>54759279
dude green lmao
Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.