[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help me /g/. I wanna buy some electrical device from USA but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: 1455642369456.jpg (109 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1455642369456.jpg
109 KB, 960x960
Help me /g/.
I wanna buy some electrical device from USA but it works on 110V and 60 Hz.
I need it for Europe so 220 and 50.
What do i buy?
>>
>>54752705
No
>>
>>54752716
upvoted.
>>
>>54752705
maybe
>>
>>54752705
Sent.
>>
>>54752705
You need a step-down converter.

They come as either 50W or 100W. So you need to see what it's rated to.

I have speakers that are rated at 92W so I'm shit out of luck.
>>
>>54752776
Don't do this it creates mustard gas!
>>
>>54752705
A mains voltage transformer thingie? Costs like $100-200.

Or you replace the internal power supply if the device has any.
>>
>>54752810
That's bullshit and you know it you faggot
>>
>>54752705
just connect one prong to gnd, and one to a 3 way switch. then connect the other 2 pins on the switch to a 230V wall socket through some resistors to not fry your device.
then flick the switch 60 times a second to get that 60 Hz (IMPORTANT!!!)
>>
>>54752864
Can confirm this works, I did this for my speakers
>>
>>54752818
Well, it depends on the wattage. I was just assuming the typical maximum of ~2000W that a household device in the USA might have.

100W converters are cheaper. Especially if they're dangerously constructed cheap pieces of shit made in asia that start house fires.
>>
>>54752963
>Buy cheap converter
>Take best insurance possible
>Let your house burn down
>Use the insurance money to buy newer devices
>>
>>54752705
America gets their shit from China just buy something made in Europe and you're better off this way
>>
>>54752963
>100W converters are cheaper. Especially if they're dangerously constructed cheap pieces of shit made in asia that start house fires.

If you have a 70W device, is a 100W converter too much?
>>
>>54754416
>America gets their shit from China
>something made in Europe
I'm afraid I have some bad news for you in relation to where most of your electronics come from, Anon.
>>
>>54752705
1. allot of devices now will have a power supply that accepts 120 - 240 V ac, make damn sure it does before you plug it in though.

2. you can buy a converter to change the 240 to ac, make sure the converter supplies more watts than the device uses, ex: if you are trying to power a 75 watt light bulb, get a >75 watt converter. Id say go for the 200 watt or higher just so its convey and the converter inst being pushed to near its limit for its whole time in use. If you get a <75 watt then your gonna have problems.

3. Change out the power supply circuitry. almost always, inside of a device it will change 120/240v AC to >60V DC, allot of times its 5/6/12/24/36v DC. If you are not incompetent as fuck, then you can change this out, but make sure you don't supply too much voltage or too little current. ex, I have a shit dvd player and the power converting stuff is on its own circuit board. I took this whole board out and the outputs are labeled "5v/ground/-5v/12v/-12v/ground" so I hooked to 5v and ground directly to the 5v rail and ground of my raspberry pi and the shit turned on, it literally just works that way. But its too damn big, so I don't use it.

4. But shit that is appropriate for your own country, why are you buying american shit?
>>
>>54752705
A converter... are you retarded?
>>
>>54754369
This man has it all figured out. Also, make sure you buy a trust old Nvidia Thermi GPU.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.