[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
2 CPU with onboard grafics ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: MW70-3S0-Angle[1].jpg (320 KB, 400x457) Image search: [Google]
MW70-3S0-Angle[1].jpg
320 KB, 400x457
Hi /g/.
Not that i am thinking about buying a dual socket motherboard but out of curiosity, would it be possible on a dual CPU setup to utilize both onboards grafics chips similar to SLI/Crossfire ?

Tried to google it but I didnt even find anyone asking the same question,

I'm sure even the shittiest nvidia card on the market would be better for a fraction of the cost.. but it would be funny to see someone try it :)
>>
>>54751123
DX12 could take advantage of both GPUs. The problem is mainboards do not support such a setup. Dual CPU mainboards are usually meant for server CPUs, which do not feature integrated GPUs, so there is no infrastructure available do use those.
>>
I don't think there's reasonable amount of support for "intel crossfire" in software, or hardware..
>>
Dual socket mobos are usually used in servers which generally have a graphics chip onboard as opposed to using iGPU (which Xeons rarely have anyway)
>>
>>54751123
I really hope AMD develops something like that in the future. Would be cool to have a pair of APUs in crossfire with quad channel memory
>>
OP writes like a fucking 12 year old
>>
>>54751261
Not op but that was what I figured when I read his post, thanks for confirming based anon.
>>
>>54751305
That's twice the age I sense from your post.
>>
>>54751305
Ok!

>>54751295
Indeed, perhaps in the future the difference between CPU and GPU are so small they are more or less one processor.
Same goes for RAM/harddrive, what if solid state drives and RAM makes a baby with the size of a harddrive and speed of RAM.
^_^
>>
AFAIK I have never seen or heard of a dual-socket board that allowed you to mount CPUs with iGPUs onboard. As >>54751278 said, Xeons are the only server chips which have iGPUs at all (new AMD Zen chips will have iGPU, but they aren't out yet). As for the Xeons which do have iGPU, I am almost 100% certain they are single-socket chips with no multiple QPI links to allow them to run in parallel with another CPU.

It's all actually kind of amusing, because when I browse server hardware on newegg and go through the reviews, it's very common to see engineers in there talking about how infuriating the graphics situation is for servers. While most boards these days do come with built-in Matrox or similar minimal iGPUs on the board, this is sometimes unsatisfactory for various reasons (high failure rate, incompatibilities, lack of performance), and thus the server admins are left with the shitty options of either losing an interface to an inefficient dGPU or running everything through terminal (may not suit their workflow, knowledge level, etc). You would think by now either Intel or AMD would have realized they could license north bridge server chipsets with iGPUs in them to places like SuperMicro. They even did that in the past, I think...
>>
>>54751123
CPU's that can be multisocketed do not have iGPU's. If they do have it in the future expect only the closest sockets iGPU to be supported.
>>
>>54751123
Only thing can think of is lucidlogics virtu MVP solution that allows multiple discrete and onboard graphics adapters to function simultaneously.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.