[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>do things correctly >it doesn't work why is this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: wozniak2.jpg (28 KB, 262x269) Image search: [Google]
wozniak2.jpg
28 KB, 262x269
>do things correctly
>it doesn't work

why is this so apparent with technology?
>>
>>54750492
>do things correctly
>it doesn't work
Pick one.
>>
>>54750492
because tech a shit
>>
>>54750492
because shit is complex yo.
A car or some shit like dat is simple as fuck, but organizing the inner workings a computer, making literally billions of calculations every second while not making mistakes is fucking hard. Unforseen shit happening all the time, users being stupid cunts as well... be happy shit works at all
>>
You mean "you think you do things correctly since it seems the most logical".
>>
>>54750492
>humans are not perfect
>humans make machines
>machines are not perfect

Not exactly rocket surgery.
>>
>>54750492
>>54751480
This, my intro programming class was in Java. I would program thinks right, but because of the Java's design features/flaws it would fuck up on me.

Then you realize the simple answer is
>Java doesn't support that
so you realize software engineering is a a shit work environment and do something else with your life
>>
>>54752798
can you elaborate, what you tried to do?
>>
>>54752850
One thing was Java just fucking up my program,
Run it once with certain inputs, it ran perfectly. run it again with the exact same inputs, index length error pops up.

second one where Java would just not return something when it had done the same exact thing right before in the same program.
this is vastly simplified but the gist of the problem.
>press 1 to return A
>press 1
>return A
>press 1
>.....
We tried it on other computers and same shit would happen.

the first bug was that java doesn't handle using numbers and characters with the same input scanner very well. the way to get around this is to use two scanners for both.

My TA's couldn't explain any of my errors. And didn't know about the scanner issue in Java until I brought it up.
>>
>>54753225
>the first bug
I meant the very first bug I encountered in my CS course. the index error bug has nothing to do with scanners.
>>
because language is just a metaphor for an underlying, unknowable process. taken at point-observation, it will lead to erroneous assumptions.
>>
because you didn't install gentoo
>>
>>54753225
sounds weird... I never had these problems, my java always worked as expected, but if you start off experiencing stuff like that, I see that it can be frustrating. But I never really used console input anyway, C-based languages work much better at that.
for the second problem the
>do things correctly
>it doesn't work
isn't really applicable though. You apparently didn't do things correctly (Even if java is weird and hard to use in that case).
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.