[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why can CS majors not program?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
Why can CS majors not program?
>>
This is a meme made up by "self-taught" trash.
>>
Because college doesn't teach you how to do something practical. It teaches you, in theory, how to learn practical skills on your own. It's just that people don't bother.
>>
>>54748002
my daycare was better than their daycare
it cost more
>>
>>54747995
did you mean to ask "why can't programmers program well?"
>>
>>54748002
Most of either can't
>>
>>54748018
Plenty of programmers can program well though. It's just that those who have no experience or credentials to their name apart from their major are, in all likelihood, awful programmers. On the surface that sounds predictable but it speaks to a lack of autodidacticism. Much like what I just did there, their highest level skill is being able to Google.
>>
>>54747995

Because CS is babby math, while "programming" generally refers to specific skills related to analysis, organizational thinking, and specific tooling.

It's kind of like asking why a physicist can't weld.
>>
>>54748094
So CS majors can't math, nor can they program, so what can they?
>>
>>54748155

Get past HR.
>>
>>54748044
Subtle. I wonder how many fucktards will fall for it.
>>
>>54748044
>those who have no experience or credentials to their name apart from their major are, in all likelihood, awful
This applies to literally every profession.
>>
File: le frog meme.jpg (19 KB, 403x195) Image search: [Google]
le frog meme.jpg
19 KB, 403x195
>be a CS major
>look at the potential jobs in my area
>99% is pleb web shit "programming"
>stupid buzzwords and meme languages just for fucking websites
>>
>>54748677
Same here, except I'm a self-taught wanker which actually makes it worse because lolnodegree. The best I've seen around here is Linux sysadmin jobs, and they pop up about once every three months and stretch the definition of local somewhat.
>>
This is why.

https://unqualifiedreservations.wordpress.com/2007/08/02/whats-wrong-with-cs-research/
>>
>>54748012
This.
>>54747995
Plus most of the CS majors actually don't want to program. It's not the reason they are there even if that's hard to believe.
>>
>>54748208
Kek, code monkeys rekt
>>
File: 1464123467925.png (128 KB, 1190x682) Image search: [Google]
1464123467925.png
128 KB, 1190x682
>>54748677
>>54748721
Living in the back-arse if nowhere.
Complaining about the lack of tech jobs.
>Hurr durr why don't the jobs come to me.
>>
>>54748861
I live in Grimsby, UK, which is hardly the back-ass of nowhere. Although I know what that's like because I used to live in Wales.

I'm surrounded by cities (Lincoln, Hull, etc.) and there's still fuck all actual programming jobs. It's like nobody needs non-web programmers anymore, which is depressing. If I could find a comfy embedded systems gig writing C and asm all day I'd die happy.
>>
>>54748943
Why the fuck are you complaining? You could land a piss easy ~webdev~ job that's not even remotely difficult (nor mentally stimulating) for easy money.
>>
>>54749109
I could, yes, and that's why I've been begrudgingly learning everything I can about it this month. It's fucking mind numbing but it beats shunting cars on the docks on a zero hour contract like a polish immigrant.
>>
>>54747995
because CS has little do do with actual programming
>>
>>54748208
The most important skill
>>
>>54747995
because they didn't do anything on project euler
>>
>>54749109
Web dev is boring af. As interesting as being a sandwich artisan at Subway.
>>
>>54749331
Project euler is more than 99% math
>>
>>54747995
NATURALFAGS BTFO
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.