[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need to purchase a laptop. Intel or AMD cpu? Also how does
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (120 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
120 KB, 1024x768
I need to purchase a laptop. Intel or AMD cpu? Also how does clock speed factor in? i.e. An I5 at 2.9 GHZ vs an I7 at 2.3 GHZ: which is better? Same question about the usefulness of a quad core vs. dual core? If these questions sound mundane to you, then it is your help I need!
>>
Buy used business over new consumer. You'll pay the same or less for better hardware and quality.
>>
If you dont know the differences it does not matter for your use case anyway.
>>
>>54746253
what "differences" are you talking about
>>
>>54747226
If you don't know the differences, just get intel. Less power consumption, better IPC (meaning it will be faster at lower GHz) and it will produce less heat. The only downsides are less cores (don't be a faggot, you don't need more than 4) and a better iGPU, which is also only useful for some rendering or gaymer shit, unless you have a dedicated GPU anyway.
>>
>>54747226
Also the i5 vs i7 difference is meaningless unless you know the actual models, a lot of mobile i5s and i7s are literally just gimped desktop i3s.
>>
>>54746060
So much this. I saved a good ~£250 last year.
>>
>>54748817
OP here, thanks /g/ for the input so far. >>54748817
Is that what the 4 or 5 digits in the CPU name signifies? Is there a chart I could refer to?
Full story: I have a Toshiba laptop with a Sandybridge I7 and it's been great. My wife, who the new laptop would actually be for, got herself an Acer with an I3 around the same time and it has been trash the majority of the time she's had it. She wants a Mac, which all seem to do I5s between 2.3 & 2.9 GHZ and I want to see what the comparable power in a PC would cost.
>>
>>54746060
Where do you find used business laptops? Ebay, amazon, ect.
>>
At least wait one more week since AMD releases Bristol Ridge then.
>>
>>54750847
Business laptops are horrible looking huge chunks of plastic.
>>
>>54745738
There are at least two things to take into consideration:
>use case
>budget

>>54750338
>got herself an Acer
>She wants a Mac
My guess is the Acer cost under 300 and the Mac is over 1200.
There are a lot of options in between if she cares about performance/price. I usually recommend a x220, t420 or t520 with ssd and from i5 upwards, but it completely depends on the use case.

>inb4
>2k for Mac
>facebook machine

>>54751233
>Business laptops are horrible looking huge chunks of plastic.
Do you buy laptops as fashion items?
>>
>>54750338
There isn't a chart you can refer to, but basically, for laptops, if those four digits end have a U on the end it means it's really just a gimped desktop i3, and if it has HQ on the end then it's a proper i5/i7. Be warned, these will consume more power; from there, the clock speed will make a difference. To check on specific models, google it and it should come up with Intel ark, Intel's info website. If you want a computer that's decently quick, get something with either 4 cores/4 threads or 4 cores/8 threads (difference won't really be worth it unless you do renders or high CPU load stuff), or alternatively, if it's just a Facebook machine, go with something that has 2 cores/4 threads, as it will be cheaper and the battery will last longer. Once you've picked one of these, it's also worth looking up the turbo boost speeds of the CPUs on Intel ark (this is the speed that actually matters, not the one they advertise) to compare the different CPUs within the category.
>>
>>54746060
Won't it be better to buy those barebone labtop?
>>
>>54745738
That harry potte guy fucked Emma Watson right?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.