[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you increase the resolution you are recording with on your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
If you increase the resolution you are recording with on your smartphone, does the field of view (FOV) increase?

For example, if I record at 720p and I get a FOV of let's just say x by y; if I record at 4k resolution do I get a FOV of 3x by 3y?

Or do I get the same FOV but with higher pixel density for the same FOV size?
>>
no.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_(optics)
>>
No. Fov is determined by your camera lens and the Level of zoom.
>>
nigga u dum
>>
>>54744270
FOV is based on the aspect ratio:
>Wider = More FOV
>Same ratio = Same FOV
>>
No. Usually lower resolution recording is done by pixel binning where multiple pixels on the sensor are combined and recorded as a single pixel (pic related, a grid of four pixels get binned and read as a single pixel), or line skipping where only the pixels on ever other line are read, or downsampling where the video is recorded with the full sensor resolution but then downsized to a lower resolution before it is written to memory.
>>
File: pixelbinningfigure1.jpg (40 KB, 390x341) Image search: [Google]
pixelbinningfigure1.jpg
40 KB, 390x341
>>54744493
Forgot my picture, of course.
>>
>>54744493
This.

Of course, it is possible that in some cases they won't pixel bin or do it in a way where lower resolutions still use less of the sensor.
>>
>>54744543
Well yeah, you could just crop it, but that's not usually how it's done because then it would change the FOV like OP said. But of course there is a little bit of cropping done anyway and parts of sensor aren't used because most image sensors in cell phones are 4:3 and video is usually recorded at 16:9.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.