[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is Linux any better?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
File: 1431440794124[1].jpg (225 KB, 816x698) Image search: [Google]
1431440794124[1].jpg
225 KB, 816x698
I used Debian GNU/Linux for many years. For nearly all of those many years I was very happy with it. It worked almost flawlessly, and I knew I could trust it. Then Debian decided to switch to systemd. I'm always willing to try new technology, since it might be better than what I'm currently using, so I went ahead and installed systemd during a routine update.

That was a huge mistake. I had to reboot my Debian system because the kernel was upgraded. For the first time ever I encountered a Debian installation that wouldn't boot properly. I found that systemd was responsible, googled for help, found a solution, and eventually got my system working again. I assumed it was just a one-time incident and it likely wouldn't happen again. Boy, was I wrong! Again and again I experienced this. I would do a routine update, something would change with systemd, and my Debian system would no longer boot.

Finally I got fed up with it. After some investigation I learned that while systemd could theoretically be removed from Debian, it was risky and took more effort than I wanted to expend. So I looked at other Linux distros, and learned that they all use systemd now, too. My only options were to regress two decades to Slackware, or to wait for ages for Gentoo to compile my packages (and waste a lot of electricity in the process).

Having been left with no choice, I had to move away from Linux after many years of using it. I've actually moved to Windows 10, and while it isn't perfect, it at least boots and updates reliably for me. That's more than I can say for Linux, unfortunately!
>>
Nice post, Pajeet. You really put a lot of work in it. 100 Bing points have been deposited into your Microsoft account.
>>
>>54741203
5 bing points have been deposited into your account, pajeet
>>
>>54741203
>I've actually moved to Windows 10

No, pajeet, normal people move to OSX
>>
>>54741203
Very cute image anon

>>54741274
>>54741304
>>54741315
Can you autists have a conversation without resorting to memes?
>>
>>54741203
Nice try but tell to your employees to make their products better instead of making up lies if they don't want for people to use products from their competitors.
>>
>>54741315
OSX is a meme though
>>
>>54741341
>Can you autists have a conversation without resorting to memes?
tell that to op
>>
>>54741341
Can you make a post without getting poo on the keyboard?
>>
>>54741355
It's Unix, anyone that likes Linux would move to it
>>
>>54741385
It's the ultra gimped version of unix with a gay UI. It's literally a baby OS.
>>
File: 1457274909419.png (67 KB, 181x201) Image search: [Google]
1457274909419.png
67 KB, 181x201
>>54741203
>at least boots and updates reliably for me
>>
>>54741203
>My only options were to regress two decades to Slackware, or to wait for ages for Gentoo to compile my packages (and waste a lot of electricity in the process).
Or use Arch-openrc or Manjaro-openrc or Void and have neither of those problems.
>>
>>54741518
I still feel like I was tricked or misled, though, albeit unintentionally. Years of using Debian GNU/Linux made me come to believe in and to expect an extremely high degree of reliability from Debian. I came to trust the Debian maintainers. I thought that if they included systemd, then that meant it would be as reliable as what it was replacing. As we found out, that wasn't the case for me and the many others who have suffered from problems caused by systemd that we had never experienced before.

Yes, we did type "Y" when prompted to install systemd, but what we eventually got isn't at all what we expected or wanted. It's not much different from clicking what we think is a cancel button that triggers an unwanted action.
>>
>>54741274
>>54741304
>>54741315
>>54741343
>>54741362

And the false accusation of "shilling" that you just made reflects poorly on the Linux community as a whole. Do I want to be using Windows 10? No. Do I get paid for stating that I'm using Windows 10 because I had problems with Linux? No. After people like me describe the technical problems we have experienced with Linux, Linux supporters like you so often come along and attack us on a personal level. That's not the way to attract users to Linux! I never had a Windows user stoop to accusing me of being a "Linux shill" or a "Red Hat shill" when I said I used Linux instead of Windows.
>>
Welcome to Windows 10 Faggot
>>
>>54741203
Arch has an option without systemD
>>
>>54741315
this desu

chromebooks are acceptable too for light browsing
>>
File: 1437744747922[1].jpg (80 KB, 482x424) Image search: [Google]
1437744747922[1].jpg
80 KB, 482x424
>>54741487
All I can say is that after installing Windows 10, my computer booted perfectly fine when I next restarted it.

After upgrading Debian GNU/Linux to use systemd, my computer failed to fully boot during the next restart.

I don't know about you, but any OS that doesn't fully boot is pretty damn useless to me!

Windows 10 booted properly for me; Debian systemd/GNU/Linux did not.
>>
>>54742963
Devuan you retard. It's Debian without systemd.

https://devuan.org
>>
File: ban..png (32 KB, 469x389) Image search: [Google]
ban..png
32 KB, 469x389
>>54741203
If you fucked up Debian, you are a certified retard. Mind sharing your particular issue, and the fix for it? Or are you just making shit up?

gdamn bans
>>
>>54742507
>nobody has ever called me freetard for using linux
I didn't think you were a shill, but the false dichotomy you've created here now makes me think otherwise. Remember you're on /g/, this isn't "the linux community", this is a place where people will call you a faggot or a shill regardless.
>>
Debian is awful. If I only knew Debian-like systems and Windows existed, I'd use windows.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.