[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I was checking the price of 4x4GB of DDR2 for my old desktop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: The Cashier at Apple.png (897 KB, 1181x1446) Image search: [Google]
The Cashier at Apple.png
897 KB, 1181x1446
I was checking the price of 4x4GB of DDR2 for my old desktop and the price ranged from $250 to $500. I wonder if some of the motherboards like the z77 will skyrocket in price and will be almost impossible to replace.

Thoughts
>>
Where the hell is DDR2 that expensive? I just checked Craigslist for the stuff and found like a dozen sticks of DDR2 RAM for like $55. Are you looking for the stuff new in packaging? In that case yeah anything discontinued with a demand for it is gonna go up in price and availability drops. Just get an old used computer for cheap and yank the memory out of it.
>>
>>54740986
new in box DDR2 is insanely expensvei
>>
>>54740929
For what do you need 16 GB? If you really need them buy a new PC that supports at least DDR3. DDR3 workstation modules are cheap as fuck, you can easily get 64 GB on a 2011 platform.
>>
>>54740986
There are 2 different types buffered which is cheap and unbuffered that is expensive and will work in Intel systems
>>
>>54741134
VM's and Multitasking under Linux, I have 8GB right now but I have to close some programs to open others, which is a pain.
>>
>>54741198
You've got your terms mixed up. Buffered/Registered ram is expensive and goes on servers (and macs).
>>
>>54740929
>$250-$500
Fuck, you could buy a whole i5-powered DDR3 PC with legit Windows at that price.

Why would ANYONE buy that?
>>
>>54740929
DDR2? Are you even sure your motherboard supports that much RAM?
>>
>>54741903
A lot of small business would for fear losing all their data upgrading to a new system, off the top of my head I can think of 3 businesses that are still using P2s and P3s and will pay anything to keep them running.
>>
>>54740929
That's crazy I know, versus that 2x8GB is like 60 bucks.
>>
>>54742030
Pretty much this, it's businesses that refuse to upgrade getting gouged.
>>
>>54742081
DDR3
>>
>>54741972
Yes I have the GA-EP45-UD3R
>>
>>54740929
Might as well just buy a refurb lelnovo with DDR3 RAM in it, it will probably cost about the same.
>>
>>54742030
Also some of the software licenses are not transferable and they can be extremely expensive.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.