[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do we have the right technology to make the Hyperloop a reality?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 11
File: image.jpg (711 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
711 KB, 1200x900
>>
>>54737980
Where would a project like that be practical? What two locations need to move that much cargo, that far, that fast to make it cost effective?
>>
When's the last time something remotely this wild is actually being put forth to become a reality?
>>
>>54738019
The interstate highway system, the Hoover Dam, the Apollo project

So half a century
>>
>>54738019
The Falcon 9 rocket
>>
>>54738006
From Shenzen to Los Angeles so that the people in /csg/ can get same-day delivery
>>
>>54738039
That's pretty wild. But it isn't open the public like this will be.
>>
>>54738006
The dragon dildo factory and your house
;^)
>>
>>54738060
fucking kek
>>
>>54738006
probably between any two major cities and more for personal travel rather than cargo

railways will continue to be the most cost effective form of mass cargo transportation because they don't have to arrive on so strict a schedule
>>
File: interior01_cam01.0.jpg (61 KB, 1000x562) Image search: [Google]
interior01_cam01.0.jpg
61 KB, 1000x562
>they want to put people in it
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
>>
I'm curious to see how this will turn out. Hopefully this will work. Do you think tubes will be made in the air? or maybe underground? I think it would be cool to see the sky while riding in one of these. Underground tubes sound dreary.
>>
>>54738006
What cost? It has solar panels on the track, that could generate the biggest part of the energy needed. So the only real cost are that of the build, maintenance is also allmost non existent. Its not like it costs gigawatts to run one hyperloop line. They are planning on building 2 in europe asap.
>>
File: hp1.jpg (322 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
hp1.jpg
322 KB, 2048x1536
>>54738106
You're not going to be seeing through the tubes under any circumstances. The mockup has monitors instead of windows.
>>
>>54738136
I know, but it would be cool to see shit at high speed. I guess a monitor is fine but not the same of course
>>
>>54738116
Just reading that post my gut impression is that you're an idiot.

A project like this is NEVER done "inexpensively", it's done 10 years behind schedule and $10 billion over biudget with half the original projected capacity.
>>
>>54738116
do you have any idea how much solar panels cost? they'd be thousands of dollars per square foot if it's industrial grade.
>>
>>54738185
I never said it wasnt expensive. I only said that the only real cost are that of the build. Of course its going to cost billions.
>>
>>54738186
This
>>54738210
>>
>>54738096
Star Trek and Babylon 5 here we come. Tube transit master race.
>>
>>54738185
>>54738210
This is in my opinion the biggest plus of the hyperloop vs conventional transport, planes and ships and stuff cost fuel and maintenance to run. While the hyperloop requires a minimum of those. Thats whats going to make them money in the long run. But i guess that makes me an idiot.
>>
>>54738116
>They are planning on building 2 in europe asap.
One from Calais to London and one from Istanbul to Berlin
>>
File: Sanguinius_Trump.jpg (498 KB, 1131x1600) Image search: [Google]
Sanguinius_Trump.jpg
498 KB, 1131x1600
>>54737980
>>54738006
How else can we build the wall quickly?
>>
>>54738416
Ahahahahah so immigrants don't have to walk or swim
>>
File: image.jpg (97 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97 KB, 450x600
>>54738096
Agreed anon.
>>
>>54738106
Underwater?
>>
I don't get it...

The train rests in near vacuum yet propels itself with a compressor. How is that possible? Shouldn't the compressor need some sort of medium to compress?
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 600x600
>>54738521
It compresses "AIR" kek
>>
>>54738503
Now that would be fucking beautiful. Hopefully.

A thought just came to mind though. I'm not sure I'd want to trust a monitor inside the hyperloop. What if it showed passengers something that wasn't really there? I'm guessing that careful planning of tube placement would incur higher costs. Would not want have people pass though, say, an area underwater thats flooded with trash and waste right? Im all over the place on this, I'm typing this out as I think
>>
>>54738116
>maintenance is also allmost non existent
We're talking about a massive low-pressure system, maintenance is going to be continuous.
>>
>>54738096
Clearly this wont be made for the American market
>>
>>54738185
they said same thing about private sector rockets
who is laughing now when NASA project costs x25 more?
>>
>terrorists blow apart the tube at near the end
>you're screaming towards the hole
>can't stop
>>
>>54738969
It's 100% guaranteed this will happen within two years of it opening in Western Europe
>>
>>54738969
I can't remember if this thing is underground, they would have to dig = instantly noticed
also do you know why railway bombings are more rare than airplanes blowing up? because it's hard, it's monitored now much easier than 20 years ago
>>
>>54738867
If it isnt build well you are right but the difference in pressure is only 1 atmosphere. Its like building a tube with normal pressure at 10 meters deep under water, that isnt unheard of without the constant maintenance you talk about.
>>
>>54738969
The capsule would stop moving if it lost pressure. They would more likely just bomb people at the station.
>>
>>54738969
If the tube ruptures the whole system stops working
>>
>>54738521
>near vacuum
>near
>>
>>54738096
ahaha no fatties allowed
>>
This is so cool
>>
It might be possible, but they have to use cheaper materials. It also has to be designed so it constantly needs repairs and maintenance in order to create jobs so it will boost the economy. One way or another the design has to be modified to have at least some reliance on fossil fuels so that Big Oil and the expansion of the military can continue to exist. These are the only possibilities in our current global socioeconomic system.
>>
>>54738867
Pressure vessels can be built to last
>>54737980
Musk's original hyperloop design has essentially been trashed in favor of passively levitated maglevs. it's still cool thougj
>>
>>54739656
Doesn't that infographic show pretty much the exact same idea Musk had, with a linear electromotors for propulsion and a fan to create a hovercraft-like air cushion the capsule floats on?
>>
>>54739690
Yeah but some MIT students found that passive magnetic levitation has a better lift/drag ratio
>>
>>54737980
Nobody has remotely the will to make something like this a reality.

Even a high-speed rail network... or a longer distance high-speed rail connection (and that is defined as not really fucking fast, but just like 240km/h) won't happen easily.
>>
>>54737980
Yes, I don't see any technical limits.

But it is complete foolish to build such a monstrosity.

What application would this have?

It tries to do everything, and in the process fails to win at anything. There are easier ways to get things done based on application.
>>
>>54738006
>What two locations need to move that much cargo, that far, that fast to make it cost effective?
Literally between any major city in the US?
>>
>>54740343
> But it is complete foolish to build such a monstrosity. What application would this have?
More economical replacement for air freight and passenger traffic between major population centers?

The idea for something like this is good, just nobody wants to fund the investment (plus extra money to iron out the inevitable engineering snags) required.

And of course political resistance from the competing technologies and companies also will be stiff. These things never get operated like streets and air traffic- they will put some specific entities in a very advantageous situation.
>>
>>54740360
Arguably, you might want to start with slower railways first... just make the existing railways more direct and build more lines in parallel so they jam up less with technical failures and stuff.

The bulk of freight traffic is fine if it just drives 100km/h or less.
>>
High-speed rail is expensive, but can somewhat compete with planes.

Maglev is much more expensive, can hardly be justified.

This thing will cost several times more than maglev, so good luck.
>>
>>54738595
It'll be too dark to see much
>>
File: similar idea.jpg (126 KB, 500x352) Image search: [Google]
similar idea.jpg
126 KB, 500x352
>>54740397
electric pantograph covered ground effect trains

let me break it down as I haven't seen anyone talk about this tech

going electric offers competitive bidding of energy sources and offers long term flexibility

pantograph contacts allow for remote energy transfer and the two major issues with them can largely be removed. (bad weather, structure is weather resistant. Wire and contact wear, new materials offer huge improvements over traditional systems.)

covering only needs to protect against bad weather, much easier then holding a near vacuum. This lowers costs, increases safety, and makes repair work faster and easier.

Going with ground effect over maglev costs a lot less and simplify many things, while still allowing speeds of 350mph. As with many of its competitors lower speed are possible to allow more competitive bidding on cargo hauling, allowing more cross market appeal. (something people seem to over look)

It will not replace planes in terms of speed, nor cars and light trucks in terms on last mile mobility. But the wide middle ground makes it much more competitive then people think, assuming they have even thought of this.
>>
What kind of major catastrophes can happen with these, not being pessimistic, just thinking about all potential risk factors.
>>
>>54741607

Seismic shifts can cause the car to be jarred around, perhaps even smashing into the wall and surely destroying antthing aboard.
>>
>>54741548
I bet some of these ideas would work well enough, but nobody will pay until they *are* simple (the work and engineering required will still be not trivial - maglev or pantograph or whatever)

Hell, nobody will pay to straighten out the rails very much on most lines in Europe (which mostly are already electrified - in itself something the USA couldn't be bothered to fund).

PS: I am sure we could also do air evacuated tubes. Seems easily enough within structural possibilities, we also make fucklong tunnels that deal with more than atmospheric pressure -also water and rock pressure- but someone needs to fund that, again, against all political resistance.
>>
>>54738060
>shenzen
triggered
shen zhen
深 圳
>>
File: 1460587502876.png (44 KB, 602x340) Image search: [Google]
1460587502876.png
44 KB, 602x340
>>54739795
>trusting MIT educated idiot CIA niggers
>>
>>54741878
I think it will be relatively hard to smash into walls.

Even if it's not as fast as a bullet in a barrel, this will have air pressure from air that streams along the sides, keeping it from the walls.

The shockwave of even a normally driving train is already quite significant - if you ever drove a normally fast passenger train at like 120km/h (or a fast one at ~200km/h) into a tunnel, you'll probably remember that there was a shock initially at the entrance, and then the thing was very stable...
>>
>>54738116
>maintaining a vacuum (the largest vacuum in the history of earth)
>huge compressor fan
>massive electromagnetic currents

>having this amount of energy generated by solar

>non-existent maintenance costs

you're a moron
>>
File: highwayTHUMB.jpg (49 KB, 368x380) Image search: [Google]
highwayTHUMB.jpg
49 KB, 368x380
>>54741905
I actually think the land and zoning would be the bigger problem. Where this gets built has a big effect on if it gets built at all.

We can't even build poorly constructed roads with the exaggerated costs and land disputes.

I am sure we could build evacuated tubes among many other things. But my goal is to keep it simple and lower costs all around, thus I came to that idea.
>>
>>54738136
I'm assuming its because a usable window would need to be something like what they made the cupola out of on the iss
>>
>>54738006
California to Washington.
>>
>>54737980
NICE TERRORIST TARGET YOU GOT THERE OP
>>
>>54737980
Yeah we just put your moms anus on the other end and the suction forces will pull any big and long at supersonic speeds
>>
>>54738006
so we can use more cost-effective technologies that were made cheaper by a big leap in technology and research?
>>
>>54738521
It isn't propelled by the compressor, the compressor just serves to lubricate the train with air. It's powered by linear induction motors.
>>
>>54742129
You're right, that would perhaps be the even bigger pain.

But the engineering costs are substantial either way. Politically, almost nobody can do anything that cool.

Almost related - something that got done, world's longest tunnel, filmed / photograped with 360 degree views:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0kdT5oEN2Q

Rest assured, even in this project various things that would have made sense (additional fixes on the way before and after the tunnel, extra pipes for enough capacity to actually meet demands, and so on) fell victim to budget cuts. Doing the same in an even more high-tech way and on a bigger scale seems politically almost impossible.
>>
>>54739795
Won't that drive up costs more, even if it's slightly less efficient? They still need the compressor to avoid the syringe effect, they might as well use it to provide lift as well, right?
>>
>>54742351
now that I think about this more it reminds me of my research on advanced concrete roadways, got to talk to some cool people. don't recall it exactly, but it was something like 4 times the cost for 10 the life expectancy at lower maintenance costs. obviously a great long term deal.

Got to talk to many experts and even asked a leading transportation rep why no one talked about them. one thing lead to another and I was basically told by a higher ranking rep that he and other politicians at the time had won their re-election thanks to how they both cut the state budget (and lowering taxes) and added jobs. It became clear that the solution was simple. They cut materials costs dramatically by buying really cheap stuff, (as someone who started studying material selection I was horrified when I found what they had selected) which made the road constantly need repair. Then created many new low paying jobs to constantly repair those poor roads. Government officials publicly appear to have fixed numerous problems by making a few simple changes, that actually hurt the state.
>>
>>54738185
>my gut impression is that you're an idiot
>over biudget
>>
>>54742579
This seems typical, yes. Skimping on investment and then using constant band-aid fixes rather than a real fix, even in cases where the state surely *could* carry the cost right now (but just doesn't want to).

It's also more fun because more companies tend to profit somehow, even if the public looses money.
>>
>>54738006
Literally any major city to another major city.
>>
>>54738136
Christ, imagine the tsa checks for this. One terrorist bomb in a underwater section, or even anywhere, is gonna fuck shit up hard.
>>
>>54742351
This whole video looks and sounds so much like HL2.
>>
>>54738969
>>54742239
>>54742845

And then they get banned because stupid muslim faggots and we will live another 100 years futher in the dark age like the monkeys in middle east.

And people think Trump is bad.
>>
http://www.bossroyal.com/tech-toys/hyperloop-one-looking-change-way-travel/
>>
>>54742899
Yea, they apparently used shitty cameras (some GoPro thing) or software despite the apparently fairly notable effort that went into the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDNOWcEfCzc

(Obviously this one looks a lot better, they filmed that with regular professional cameras).

Figures 360 degrees film is still hard to do unless you go full IMAX-tier equipment...
>>
>>54738595
>Im all over the place on this, I'm typing this out as I think
Lay off the weed mate.
>>
>>54741548
IIRC there has been a lot of research done on GEVs and the conclusion was that the stresses on the material meant that it just wasn't worth it, among other things.

As for "just" covering against bad weather, you could also cover the top to provide additional benefits. Oh hey, that makes a tube a much more economic shape. Now, if we just apply a pressure differential then we can boost the efficiency a little...

Also, why the fuck are people talking about near vacuums? These are to operate with a pressure difference, calling it a near vacuum is a massive exaggeration.
>>
>>54741548
That thing looks a lot less safe
>>
a new train AWESO%E
>>
>>54743540
Train? Where did you get that idea?
We are talking about your moms new dildo silly...
>>
>>54738070
top kek
>>
>>54738070
Don't worry your mom doesn't need that many dildos now. She can just use the cargo pod.
>>
>>54742351
that's a nice 3d video of a nice terrorist target
>>
>>54741905
>in itself something the USA couldn't be bothered to fund
It doesn't make sense for the USA, there's too much rail to electrify to make maintenance worth it even if the government subsidized the installation. But it may be possible as the lines continue to consolidate like they have for a good while.
>>
>>54742129
fuckin Iron Range mang
>>
>>54743281
they undergo the same kind of stress loading as an airplane. that is more than a typical train, but weight consideration are far less demanding than an airplane allowing for more construction options. Thus it is more than a typical train, but less then a typical airplane. Something we already build and use daily, so we can do it.

Yes, additional covering construction and lower air pressure are reasonable progression in design, but that simple idea is far from simple to implement compared to a ground effect craft. Even 0.5 atmospheres would be a big deal. Stress is a function of the surface area of the tracks outer wall, and this thing is going to be many miles long. So this structure will have to withstand huge forces, not impossible but far from reasonable given the goals.

My reasoning is not just looking at the physical science, but the economical aspects as well.

Things you would instinctively think cost more actually may not. After all coating the entire contact wire with industrial diamond dust in my design would cost a fraction of using rare earth magnets for maglev, those cost structure are unlikely to change given historical and underlying reasoning trends as industrial diamonds keep dropping in price and rare earth elements keep climbing. Also many common failure points are isolated to the train, not the track. So repair and inspection are easier.

>>54743395
pic is similar, but not the same, how does it look less safe?

>>54746537
what?
grab that pic off web cause it seemed relevant, not much info on source.
>>
>>54737980
Saw the largest high speed wind tunnels in the world a couple weeks ago. One of their biggest issues is constantly plugging up the leaks that plague their pipes. And these loops are "only" a couple hundred yards long.
>>
File: for what purpose.jpg (137 KB, 323x454) Image search: [Google]
for what purpose.jpg
137 KB, 323x454
>>54746815
Now I may need to brush up on my physics here, but I'm pretty sure the stress on the hyperloop track due to pressure differential would be constant per section regardless of the distance, as pressure is applied evenly across the surface area.
Also
>coating the entire contact wire with industrial diamond dust
>pic related
>>
>>54746919
True, the application stress would only need to load per span distance. And we could make that whatever we want. Structural beams ever few inches would work just fine, but cost a fortune. However the total structure load would be huge, much like a damn.

Deal with electrical contact wearing on the wire and pantograph.
>>
>>54746815
Why would it need a contact wire, I thought the idea was that the hyperloop pod would be inductively charged, or would carry enough electricity in batteries to handle power needs for its short trip to the destination.
>>
>>54737980
what happens when you bomb one of these?
>>
>>54740790
pretty much this, unless they're planning on making the tube the largest rerouting hazard for ships
>>
>>54738006
It would serve as an alternative to rail. Railways are still critical to national infrastructure.
>>
>>54742129
>virginia mn

Fuck, had no idea they were doing this there
>>
>>54747126
the same thing that happens when you sabotage rails on a railroad track.

whats your point?
>>
>>54737980
lol, people fussing over this like its the future of travel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beach_Pneumatic_Transit
>>
>>54738521
the /near/-vacuum takes out the majority of the air, the compressor takes care of what's left, they work together to minimize air-related drag
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.