[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ubuntu is the only distro where you can get moderately up to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: xubuntu.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
xubuntu.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
Ubuntu is the only distro where you can get moderately up to date propriety graphics drivers. It's a shame that the open-source drivers are terrible (especially for Nvidia) and all the other distros are either freetarded or too small for someone to bother putting drivers out for them.
>>
File: 20160520_165805.jpg (2 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160520_165805.jpg
2 MB, 5312x2988
>>54736828
Yeah I've had problems with drivers with Linux before, just this week I installed kubuntu on secondary pc and I was setting up the drivers for my gpu and rebooted it and all I got was a black screen, I could access the terminal but I was too angry and tierd so I installed botnet windows.
>>
Arch Linux
>>
>Ubuntu is the only distro where you can get moderately up to date propriety graphics drivers

Fedora + RPMFusion non-free.
Arch (and its derivatives e.g Antergos, Manjaro, Netrunner Rolling).
Probably Gentoo too.
>>
Consider switching to an OS that actually works, like Windows 7.
>>
Why the fuck are there so many flavors of *buntu anyways?

Can't it just be one main Ubuntu and then during setup you can choose desktop environment and default apps…
>>
Isn't 7 like 10 years old
>>
>>54737517
>suggesting switching to an OS that you have to stay on a three major versions old version in order for it to be useful
>>
>>54736828
Lmde2, OpenSUSE...
>>
>>54737637
It is quite normal for distributions to offer themselves in a range of different ISOs with different DEs. If you just had one main *buntu where you could choose your DE, the ISO would be enormous. It would have to hold GNOME, KDE, Mate, Cinnamon, Unity, Xfce and so on. It just wouldn't be feasible.
>>
>>54737490
I use Manjaro on my laptop, and have used it on my desktop. In games though, you get an enormous amount of stuttering which seemed to magically disappear when I switched to Xubuntu with the latest propriety Nvidia drivers (I also had propriety drivers on Manjaro). I still prefer Manjaro overall, but I need *buntu for the drivers.
>>
>>54737637
marketing
>>
>>54739588
Why would a free os need marketing
>>
>>54739988
market share
plus making it as accessible to everybody as possible
>>
>>54736828
fedora handle manual instalation from nvidia site pretty well mate, and usually has new drivers in the repo. but yeah ubuntu is easy to set up with nvidia drivers, even when you have an optimus laptop.
>>
>>54739988
Everything needs marketing. That is not the reason for all the *buntu flavours though.

There might be the absolute goat OS out there with all the good features of Ubuntu, OSX and Windows combined and none of the bad ones coded from scratch by some random Indian dude in his basement but with no marketing noone hears about it hence it silently goes into oblivion... marketing is vital for anything you want people to use...
>>
>>54740614
>There might be the absolute goat OS out there with all the good features of Ubuntu, OSX and Windows combined
No there can't be. Because the "good features" of OSX and Windows are all proprietary.
>>
>>54736828
>Ubuntu is the only distro where you can get moderately up to date propriety graphics drivers
This is false
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.