[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, I own a thinkpad and sign in with my fingerprint. I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: lenoX220[1].jpg (95 KB, 500x487) Image search: [Google]
lenoX220[1].jpg
95 KB, 500x487
So, I own a thinkpad and sign in with my fingerprint.

I'm assuming that microsoft collects all the fingerprint data. How fucked am I?
>>
They can replicate your print and leave it to implicate you in crimes you didn't commit. Better sand off your prints while you can.
>>
>>54736171
Does that work?
Like do I just put my finger tips on a sander?
>>
>>54736179
either that or you can put your hand into a jar of acetic acid.
>>
>>54736140
I used to on my HP laptop till the fuckers decided it wasnt supported anymore and stopped it.
Now I got a built in fingerprint scanner on my laptop that is like a chocolate fireguard
>>
>>54736140
Why are you using Windows on a Thinkpad
>>
>>54736179
Put five pin holes forming an x then soak in pineapple juice, repeat every 3 months
>>
>>54736171
More like catch people for crimes they commited 20years ago and now they can use the finger prints as evidence.
>>
>>54736223
Because I need visual studio and linux is for basment dwellers.
>>
>>54736241
Citation?
>>
>>54736574
google it, its a fairly common method
>>
>>54736140
Your fingerprint is public. Nothing wrong with sharing it with a third party. The wrong thing in her is using a fingerprint as a password. You should scan your it as an username and put your password in to login.
>>
>>54736140
>>54736140
Why anon?
>complain about windows stealing fingerprint
>not smart enough to use toe print instead
>toe print works and keeps more data safe since haxxors cant find toes.
>>
>>54736140
>Letting the government access you laptop via ur finger print which they can compelling you by
>>
>>54736447

And so, the war began with mere words.
>>
>>54736447
So are thinkpads edgelord.
>>
>>54737323
I barely got a memepad but honestly for the price their pretty good.
>>
>>54736582
Just watched a brittish kid on youtube who tried it in 2009. Didn't work. Kid had to type with his knuckles because his finger tips hurt lmao
>>
>>54736207
>Decided it wasn't supported anymore
What?
>>
>>54737422
If you're on about who I think you are, he did it wrong you pin prick each finger then soak them for 10 minutes a day for a week is that how he did it?
>>
>>54737349
>TFW just got a memepad on ebay for $41 (no HDD)
Time to free the firmware!
>>
I physically removed my fingerprint reader and bought a palmrest without the hole. Stop being an idiot, that shit is well known to be insecure. I have no idea why companies even offer them anymore.
>>
fingerprint scanners don't work like most people think they do
it's not using a literal image of your print like putting it on your copier
it's kinda like taking a hash of your finger
it looks at a couple places and assigns your finger a number
if your finger needs to be a 62 to login but someone scans their finger and it looks like a 47 they aren't getting in

>using fingerprints only as usernames, not passwords still applies
>>
>>54737475
lmao what was the point of removing it? Why not just stop using it? To be fair, I'm removing the microphone from mine. And using a FOSS wifi chip.
>>
>>54737497
Are you fucking kidding? What use is just disabling it if somebody has physical hardware access?
>>
>>54737532
...Are you asking me a question? Or mocking my question? Tell me how removing your fingerprint reader helps in the case of someone getting physical access to your fingerprint reader. If they can't use it to login then what will they do with it?...

If you were asking why removing my microphone helps, an attacker doesn't need physical access to reach my microphone. Malware can do that.
>>
>>54737452
What model did you get?
>>
>>54736447
epik
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.