[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32
File: 1460476437464.jpg (3 MB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
1460476437464.jpg
3 MB, 3648x2736
Previously on: >>54722703

Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt to use IRC on a web client.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
http://fglt.nl/

Resources:
man <insert command here>
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org/
>>
>>54734972
How do I go on an adventure with Richard Stallman?
>>
>>54735039

Go to his events and ask him.
http://www.fsf.org/events/rms-speeches.html

If I am visiting an interesting city or region, I will probably want
to do a few hours of sightseeing in between the work. But don't try
to plan sightseeing for me without asking me first--I can only spare a
limited time for it, so I am selective about where to go. Please
don't assume I want to see something just because it is customary to
take visitors there. That place may be of no interest with me.
Instead, please tell me about possible places to visit--then I can say
what I would like.

I enjoy natural beauty such as mountains and rocky coasts, ancient
buildings, impressive and unusual modern buildings, and trains. I
like caves, and if there is a chance to go caving I would enjoy that.
(I am just a novice as a caver.) I often find museums interesting,
but it depends on the subject.

I tend to like music that has a feeling of dance in it, but I
sometimes like other kinds too. However, I usually dislike the
various genres that are popular in the US, such as rock, country, rap,
reggae, techno, and composed American "folk". Please tell me what
unusual music and dance forms are present; I can tell you if I am
interested. If there is a chance to see folk dancing, I would
probably enjoy that.

If there is something else interesting and unique, please tell me
about it. Maybe I will be interested.
>>
>>54735039
This
>>
>>54734972
Why does he travel so much? And who takes those pictures of him?
>>
>>54735152
Does he pose for those pictures or is he legitimately so obsessed with his computer so much he's constantly using it, even when sightseeing?
>>
>>54735179
I wouldn't go sightseeing if I was obsessed with my computer.
And I was.
>>
>>54735179
He's basically answering emails allday.
>>
>>54735039
invite him to your home, go innawoods, ????
>>
File: 1427241192369.jpg (10 KB, 248x200) Image search: [Google]
1427241192369.jpg
10 KB, 248x200
>>54734972
How fucked am I?

I posted yesterday asking about how to get into my win10 after installing Ubuntu. I was told to download a win10 iso and repair the MBR. I downloaded the iso and used
>sudo cp win10.iso /dev/sdc && sync
to make a live usb. However, the bios doesn't boot to the usb and returns to the boot list.

Either the iso is damaged, or the bios is. Is there some other way to get into win10? Pls help.
>>
>>54735039
Email him, and ask him that. Post his response if he replies to you.
>>
>>54735256
You should've used dd instead of cp.
sudo dd bs=4M -if=win10.iso -of=/dev/sdc status=progress && sync
>>
>>54735256
Did you change the boot order in bios?
>>
>>54735285
Sorry, there's no '-' before of and if. It should be like this:
sudo dd bs=4M if=win10.iso of=/dev/sdc status=progress && sync
>>
>>54735285
>>54735296
What does sync actually do?
>>
>>54735285
>>54735296
Ok, trying this now.

>>54735292
No, I went straight to the boot list where I can highlight and choose which device to boot from.
>>
>>54735321
literally in the man page
>flush file system buffers
I'm too stupid to know what this means. I'm guessing it makes sure that the data you meant to write has actually been written, and is not still floating in some buffer in memory
>>
>>54735256
Burn disk/WINE Rufus/Use VM
>>
What's a good program to check for malicious pdfs?
>>
>>54735256
if you deleted windows 10 then you deleted windows 10.
>>
>>54735382
He didn't though.
>>
>>54735357
I don't have a dvd burner cause caddy. How do I do the other 2?

>>54735382
Win10 folder and stuff is still there on the SSD. I have most probably fucked up the MBR.
>>
>>54735372
clam i guess? are you scared of the gentoomen library?
>>
>>54735413
I just want to scan my library after I was reading a blog about vunerables in documents.
>>
>>54735372
http://www.decalage.info/file_formats_security/pdf#Useful_analysis_tools
>>
>>54735285
>>54735296
Didn't work. Same thing happened. The bios screen returns to the list after I select the usb.
>>
>>54735483
Try either using unetbootin to create the bootable USB or try burning it to a CD/DVD.
>>
File: 1446761830172.jpg (64 KB, 492x600) Image search: [Google]
1446761830172.jpg
64 KB, 492x600
Let's say I've installed and setup a distro exactly how I need it, can I just create an image of it and use this image when I want to reinstall it or use at another computer?
>>
>>54735503
I tried unetbootin earlier but it was a fucking mess. If there is no other option, I'll wait to get my hands on a windows computer to use rufus to do it.
>>
>>54735517
You have to run unetbootin as root for it to work. You can do sudo unetbootin.
>>
>>54735536
I can't remember but I tried it and it wouldn't work for some reason. It was a damn mess.
>>
>>54735515
Which distro?
>>
>>54735880
Arch or any other rolling distro. I guess for other distros is wouldnt make sense.
>>
I'm looking to reformat my desktop to linux, currently windows 7 and only use for gaming. But, I'm begining work on parrallel processing of large amounts of information. Which disto would allow me to best control my hardware, and also run a vm for general use (windows)?
>>
File: image.jpg (118 KB, 1284x1057) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
118 KB, 1284x1057
>tfw want to use Linux full time but need windows for ue4 dev work and muh gaems

Vulkan takeover can't come soon enough
>>
>>54735922
Oh so you haven't actually done it yet.

Does it really need to be like an "image" because I would imagine it would go out of date pretty quickly which makes it seem kind of pointless.

Why not just come up with a system of keeping all that stuff in a common location that can be easily migrated from one system to another, even across different distros? (I do this with a few folders for my personal files, and my user configuration files are symlinks to a directory that holds them all. If I do that on all my systems then simply syncing those directories is the same as syncing all the configuration files I have in various places)

As for installed packages I only know that in Gentoo you could probably accomplish that with the "world" file. But I'm sure other distros have a way to get the full list of packages the user has requested to install too.
>>
>>54736074
Actually a good idea.
>>
>>54736010
Not sure, but that sounds like what you want is to have control over what goes into your kernel. You can use your own kernel on any distro but the only one I know of that makes configuring your own kernel a standard part of installation and maintenance is Gentoo.

>currently windows 7 and only use for gaming
If you're a big gamer you might want to make sure you really know what you're in for before diving in. Although Linux gaming is really taking off lately there's still going to be a ton of games you won't be able to play.
>>
>>54736156
Or rather I should say a ton of games you won't be able to play natively. Of course you also can run them in WINE which can be really amazing sometimes giving you almost identical experience and performance as on windows
but also be aware that there are other times where it just doesn't work at all for some games, or has bugs or performance loss
>>
>>54736156
I'm slowing moving away from gaming as a past time, wanting to do more work. Also will not be my first experience using linux I currently use centos on my laptop and ubuntu at work
>>
>>54736257
Oh I should also mention that having all your software compiled on the actual machine it's running on is probably more optimized for the specific hardware you're using too (including the kernel I think), and Gentoo compiles everything from source.
>>
>>54736063
Ue4 editor runs fine on gentoo last time i checked. But vulkan adoption can't happen fast enough, i agree.
>>
File: 1336591003579.jpg (3 KB, 126x117) Image search: [Google]
1336591003579.jpg
3 KB, 126x117
>>54734972
>mfw fucked over MBR
>mfw can't get into win10
>mfw have to complete internship report by Monday
>mfw Libreoffice writer doesn't have spell-check
>fucking internet browsers have spell-check
>mfw internet keeps disconnecting cause of shitty drivers
>mfw Ubuntu
Fuck this shitty fucking piece of shit.
>>
>>54736809
first time installing an OS anon? serious question
>>
>>54737024
No. Have installed windows before countless times.
>>
>>54737024
>>54737051
Have also tinkered with android a bit.
>>
>>54737051
it's really not that difficult

you can rebuild the mbr with testdisk

if you mean that you overwrote your bootloader, then you can reinstall grub and os-prober via chroot or you can just use a windows recovery disc to reload the windows bootloader (although you won't be able to boot ubuntu)

but first you need to actually figure out what you did wrong
>>
>>54737051
what makes you think that your past experience with windows means that you will magically have linux knowledge?

that's like Tiger Woods getting frustrated that he's not a good QB because he's a good golfer and instead of blaming himself and improving his football skills, he writes off football instead
>>
>>54736809
So do you want help anon, or do you just want to complain to the aether?
>>
>>54737078
What's a testdisk? I think the mistake I made was to select "windows loader" for the "device for bootloader installation" option, though I can't remember exactly if that was the option in the first place. I just saw that option off google right now.

Would reinstalling grub get me access to windows again? I don't wanna fuck that up too and have no access to any OS on my laptop.

>>54737094
I never said i expected that. Installation should've been an easy task, though. I didn't expect to be able to use the terminal from the get go; hell, the reason I installed Ubuntu was to be able to learn to use it in the first place. But fucking up an installation that bad shouldn't be possible. It's just the fucking installation.

>>54737104
I've been asking for help for the past 2-3 days. Nothing has worked so far. I don't know what the fuck to do.
>>
>>54737167
yes, you can just reinstall grub if you want access to both oses. this involves a linux live/recovery cd, chrooting into your existing ubuntu installation, and reinstalling grub....very simple but if you don't have a conceptual framework of the process it may seem difficult

if you are just worried about windows then just use a windows recovery disc to reinstall the windows bootloader, but you won't be able to access ubuntu (possibly might be able to use bcdedit later to add access, but I have no experience with windows utilities like that)

and you didn't fuck up your mbr/gpt, which is why you probably haven't gotten much help, you need to actually know the terminology for what's going on to get people to help you
>>
>>54736809
>saving a thumbnail
>>
>>54737219
I have the ubuntu.iso file on my laptop from which I installed the OS in the first place. I can use that to reinstall grub? Should I boot into it and use repair like I would with a windows?
>>
>>54736809
Libreoffice has spellchecking though.
>>
>>54734972
Why do you name your operating system after the license header?
>>
>>54737280
We don't. Now b8 some other thread.
>>
>>54737277
yeah you can make a liveCD or liveUSB with the iso, boot it up, and then follow this:

http://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-repair-restore-reinstall-grub-2-with-a-ubuntu-live-cd
>>
>>54737279
not him, but it's currently broken in linux, or at least it is in my manually installed 'fresh' version
>>
>>54737305
Would >>54735296 work the same way with the ubuntu iso to create the liveusb?
>>
>>54737294
>GNU/Linux
>Only major contribution of GNU to Linux is the GNU GPL
>>
>>54737316
yes
>>
File: 1443379384376.jpg (9 KB, 277x238) Image search: [Google]
1443379384376.jpg
9 KB, 277x238
>>54737280
Oh look, unique bait.
>>
File: 1458744077522.png (181 KB, 506x405) Image search: [Google]
1458744077522.png
181 KB, 506x405
>>54737333
Go away.
>>
>>54737333
Just because you got trips:

The GNU project is in development since the 80s; it's an incomplete OS.

The Linux kernel is in development since the 90s; it's an incomplete OS.

GNU plus Linux = A complete operating system.
>>
>>54737513
But what does GNU have to do with being an operating system? I know userland utilities are useful and all, but to me an operating system means providing:

>Storage abstraction, file systems
>Interface between the hardware and programs that run on it
>A way to start programs
>Interrupt handling and device drivers
>Memory management, memory protection and virtual memory
>Multitasking, scheduling
>Networking
>Security, privileges, separation
>Device initialization, enumeration and hotplugging

As far as I can tell, these are all done in the Linux kernel. What part is GNU contributing?
>>
I want to jump on the linux train, but my pc has only 1gb of RAM and I'm not planning on buying a new one.
Is there any easy to install, lightweight distribution?
>>
>>54737622
lel, I knew it: https://rbt.asia/g/thread/S54502672#p54506961

Fuck off finally.
>>
>>54736809
>playing with OSes when you have shit due

Seemed like such a good plan tho..
>>
>>54737682
I didn't expect it to fuck up this badly. I'd read I'd have to fix the MBR if I deleted ubuntu, but not about not being able to get into win10.
>>
>>54737644
lubuntu
>>
>>54737747
>I'd read I'd have to fix the MBR if I deleted ubuntu

Well whatever source you are using, stop using that because it's completely wrong

you can still boot w10 from grub, no problem, doesn't matter if ubuntu is installed or not
>>
>>54737644
puppy
>>
>>54737305
Some questions before I follow the procedure in the link.

It says to
>"Mount the partition your Ubuntu Installation is on."
I ran lsblk and got pic related. The installation is on sda, right? If not, how do I find out? I don't wanna use Gparted and get stuck so wanna find out beforehand.

In the second step, it says to run
>sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev &&
>sudo mount --bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts &&
>sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc &&
>sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
Do I just run them as it is or do I have to change anything?

Again, in the 3rd step, to check and update grub, do I replace the 'X' with the letter the installation is in, like in the first step?
>>
>>54734972
>Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
but I'm using busybox
>>
File: 1462408091729.png (55 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1462408091729.png
55 KB, 625x626
>>54738046
>>
Any small distros with a non-net installer?
Connection is shit here.
>>
>>54737979
first of all, your partioning scheme is really fucking weird so I can't tell you with 100% certainty where everything is at

the installation appears to be on sda5, but depending on your partitioning scheme you may need to mount sda1 as /boot or /boot/efi (I cannot tell what it is from blkid).

Mount sda5 first as / and then mount sda1 as /boot (500MB is usually a default /boot size) or else /boot will get overwritten by sda5 (think about it for a second so you get an idea of what's going on)

But again, your partitions are all over the place and I can't even tell where your Windows partition is (sda2? sdb1?)

The second step is literally copypasta, that's just to transfer your existing ubuntu live hardware detection to the chroot environment so when you run update-grub it will find all of your partitions correctly and in the right order

the update-grub command in ubuntu should do everything for you (determine if you are using GPT or MBR and updating the grub.cfg in the right location)

the grub-install command will need to be directed to the right device, that I am guessing is /dev/sda but can't tell for sure.

I think ubuntu has a boot-info script (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info) that will give more info than blkid, might be more helpful

but honestly the only way to be 100% certain is to always KNOW WHAT YOUR PARTITIONS ARE
>>
>>54738134
Judging by the partition sizes, I can tell that the 132gig partition on sda is for windows and the 100gig one is the one with ubuntu. At least, that's how I want to install it. The set up was so fucking shit that I might have messed it up.

I'll get that online report from >>54738134
>https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info
and post it here for a better idea.
>>
why would I build anything from source if there is a precompiled version available?
>>
>>54738241
tweaking compile flags
modifying source
just knowing what's in the program you're running
>>
>>54738241
Maybe the precompiled version doesn't have the configuration you want?
>>
>>54738255
>>54738281
ok I guess. I'm not experienced enough to know what I would want that a precompile wouldn't have
>>
>>54738241
Removing some stuff you wouldn't use anyway can speed up a program. Removing propritary stuff to have more freedom. Also this: >>54738255
>>
>>54738134
>>54738216
Well, the liveusb didn't work. Selecting it as the boot device gets me to a black screen with the blinking cursor. At least its better than the win10 liveusb, which got me back to the boot list.
>>
how do I find the command name of a program? Is ps aux really the best option?
>>
>>54738476
apropos
>>
>>54738360
it sounds like you have gpt/mbr incompatibility. Are you booting ubuntu in MBR mode and then trying to create a GPT liveUSB? Is your UEFI/BIOS set to hybrid or dual mode or uefi only? How is your USB stick formatted?

here are a 100 different options to create boot media that can circumvent that problem:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick
>>
>>54734972
I have torbrowser running. Do i also need a separate standalone tor for my default linux browser? because when i check.torproject with default browser it says tor is not running.
>>
>>54738573
>re you booting ubuntu in MBR mode and then trying to create a GPT liveUSB? Is your UEFI/BIOS set to hybrid or dual mode or uefi only? How is your USB stick formatted?
How do I find out any of that?
>>
>>54738666
Yes, but why would you want that?
>>
>>54738696
sudo parted -l
>>
>>54738241
Not optimized to your system
>>
>>54738706
shouldnt the default browser also be using tor?
>>
>>54738666
Yes.
Change your proxy settings in your browser.
Though this defeats the purpose of the bundle.Just setup tor by your self
>>
File: Selection_023.png (8 KB, 655x106) Image search: [Google]
Selection_023.png
8 KB, 655x106
that feeling when chrome is using so much memory you have to use a hdd for swap
>>
>>54738821
>the feeling when you dont understand caching
>>
>>54738804
well the real problem i am having is irssi can connect to onion getting timed out, so someone sd its possible the tor isnt running
>>
>>54738800
No, torbrowser was made because for full anonymity you need, additional to tor, also tweak some browser settings. Torbrowser comes already tweaked and set up with tor. To use tor for your whole system, you need to use tor as system service and pipe the desired connections through it's port.
>>
>>54738873
i beleive i setup tranparency and iptables.sh and am going though tor i thought. i had irssi working and connecting but today im just getting timed out
>>
>>54738899
#!/bin/bash
export TORCHROOT=/opt/torchroot

mkdir -p $TORCHROOT
mkdir -p $TORCHROOT/etc/tor
mkdir -p $TORCHROOT/dev
mkdir -p $TORCHROOT/usr/bin
mkdir -p $TORCHROOT/usr/lib
mkdir -p $TORCHROOT/usr/share/tor
mkdir -p $TORCHROOT/var/lib

ln -s /usr/lib $TORCHROOT/lib
cp /etc/hosts $TORCHROOT/etc/
cp /etc/host.conf $TORCHROOT/etc/
cp /etc/localtime $TORCHROOT/etc/
cp /etc/nsswitch.conf $TORCHROOT/etc/
cp /etc/resolv.conf $TORCHROOT/etc/
cp /etc/tor/torrc $TORCHROOT/etc/tor/

cp /usr/bin/tor $TORCHROOT/usr/bin/
cp /usr/share/tor/geoip* $TORCHROOT/usr/share/tor/
cp /lib/libnss* /lib/libnsl* /lib/ld-linux-*.so* /lib/libresolv* /lib/libgcc_s.so* $TORCHROOT/usr/lib/
cp $(ldd /usr/bin/tor | awk '{print $3}'|grep --color=never "^/") $TORCHROOT/usr/lib/
cp -r /var/lib/tor $TORCHROOT/var/lib/
chown -R tor:tor $TORCHROOT/var/lib/tor

sh -c "grep --color=never ^tor /etc/passwd > $TORCHROOT/etc/passwd"
sh -c "grep --color=never ^tor /etc/group > $TORCHROOT/etc/group"

mknod -m 644 $TORCHROOT/dev/random c 1 8
mknod -m 644 $TORCHROOT/dev/urandom c 1 9
mknod -m 666 $TORCHROOT/dev/null c 1 3

if [[ "$(uname -m)" == "x86_64" ]]; then
cp /usr/lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so* $TORCHROOT/usr/lib/.
ln -sr /usr/lib64 $TORCHROOT/lib64
ln -s $TORCHROOT/usr/lib ${TORCHROOT}/usr/lib64
fi
>>
>>54738750
Does this help?
>>
>>54738966
u want me to replace the iptable.sh with this code?
>>
What's the point of Fedora?
Why does it exist, except for being a RHEL testbed for users who do it for free?
>>
>>54738985
This will make a chroot of tor in /opt/torchroot.

>iptables
Save your self some headcache and use ufw as an overlay to iptables
>>
File: IMG_0242.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0242.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Guys I need help

All of a sudden my Debian Testing desktop is showing me a black screen with the pic related messages. It seems to happen shortly after the computer has booted and I'm already browsing the internet or whatnot. It's happening every single time now for some reason.

How do I fix the lvmetad issue? I always had the Warning on boot but it never said those parts about recovering journal or recovering orphaned inodes. Just the "Failed to connect to lvmetad" and "Assuming drive cache"
>>
>>54734972
Does anyone know of a way that I could use an argument for MPV to make it launch on a specific screen? I am using i3, and the --screen argument did not seem to work. I have this script set up in open with on firefox:

/usr/bin/mpv --profile=pseudo-gui --ytdl-format=bestvideo[height<=?1080]+bestaudio/best
>>
>>54739024
the inode part is fsck,it either was dirty or you had an unexpected shutdown reboot,this isnt a an issue and is expected behavior
Post the output of syslog or journalctl -b
>>
>>54739000
ty will try
>>
>>54738983
what is the exact command you are using to make the liveUSB using DD?
>>
>>54738993
>Fedora has a reputation for focusing on innovation, integrating new technologies early on and working closely with upstream Linux communities. Making changes upstream instead of specifically in Fedora ensures that the changes are available to all Linux distributions.
>>
>>54739101
This one >>54735296
>>
>>54739101
Check the ArchWiki @ https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/USB_flash_installation_media
>>
>>54739120
are you making it on a different computer?
>>
>>54739116
>beliving this shit
>>
>>54738774

Yes, the 0,00005% speed improvement is really worth it.
>>
>>54739140
go home canonical
>>
>>54739139
Do you mean a different one from >>54738983? No, its the same. I just have the one laptop.
>>
>>54739142
Its not even a speed increase,though it may in certain circumstances
The biggiest change would be how gcc is tuned.If you have generic instructions sure it works,but if it is optimized for your family of cpu,shit is just going to work better overall.
its comparing i386 to x64
>>
>tfw Nvidia will never fix Vsync issue in Nvidia Prime
>>
>>54739157
I'm utterly confused anon, you said earlier you wiped your bootloader but now apparently you can boot into your ubuntu install? Why not just reinstall grub from there or run boot-repair? What you have described is not accurate.
>>
>>54739074
Which part exactly? It's a very very long text file
It actually happened again when I was in the middle of getting it together for you

Now the black screen only says

WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to device scanning. 

/dev/mapper/DebianSSD-Root: clean, 391123/1831424 files, 3829788/7323648 blocks

It doesn't mention orphaned inodes anymore.

Is there any point in leaving it alone? Is it sorting itself out in the background or something, or is it just frozen?
>>
>>54739286
drop to tty2 and look at the journal or dmesg for clues, it might be stuck on something x11 related
>>
>>54739221
I've always been able to boot into Ubuntu. It's what I've been using all this time. It's win10 that I can't get into.

I didn't say I wiped my bootloader. I thought, form what I've been told, that the MBR is reckt, which is why I can't get into win10 from grub.

I'll try to summarize the situation
>have win10
>download ubunto.iso and make live usb
>install ubuntu
>can't get into win10 from grub
>live usb made in ubuntu won't work

What do I do?
>>
>>54739312
make sure os-prober is installed and just run sudo update-grub

it should find your windows installation automatically and add it to your grub menu
>>
>>54739311
http://pastebin.com/56kFT9v6

Here's what I mentioned earlier, results for syslog
>>
>>54739325
How do I check os-prober is installed and run it?
>>
>>54739338
I don't use ubuntu but something like:

dpkg --get-selections | grep -i prober

or just try to install it

sudo apt-get install os-prober
>>
>>54739311
>>54739074
>>54739336
Can you spot anything suspicious? I don't think I do, I've never had to troubleshoot this before
>>
>>54739498
it looks like an incomplete log since GNOME is starting but there are no time breaks

can you try journalctl -b and dmesg?
>>
>>54739381
Nevermind, just ran sudo os-prober and got pic related. Got pic related.

Then updated grub and tried to boot into windows from it. Didn't work.

From lsblk, I know that win10 is installed on sda2, cause that's the 132gig partition I kept it to. However, os-prober detects it on sda1. Could this be the reason why it won't boot from grub?
>>
File: 1463966411898.jpg (40 KB, 570x574) Image search: [Google]
1463966411898.jpg
40 KB, 570x574
>>54739646
Yes

here's journalctl -b
http://pastebin.com/raw/bCDc0QF4

and here's dmesg
http://pastebin.com/raw/WffApW7i
>>
>>54739741
can you run boot-info and paste to pastebin

or just try running boot-repair
>>
>>54739808
It appears to still be booting up fine

How much time have you given it? There are only 30 seconds of logs
>>
>>54739831
I tried
>sudo apt-get install boot-info-script pastebinit
then
>boot_info_script
The first one worked, the 2nd one yielded
>boot_info_script: command not found

What do?
>>
>>54739904
Since this boot and the last one before that it's actually been fine for a long time (20ish, 30ish minutes). No problems now for some reason

Did it solve itself?

I'm still getting the warnings on boots, but that's always been the case

How can I get rid of them?

WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to device scanning. 

/dev/mapper/DebianSSD-Root: clean, 391123/1831424 files, 3829788/7323648 blocks
>>
>>54739922
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair boot-info && boot-info && boot-repair
>>
>>54739975
http://paste2.org/Ldfg5gbH
>>
>>54739953
obvious question, are you using lvm?

if not, it looks like the kernel is finding something on your disk that resembles lvm and you can just ignore the warning

if yes, then you need to make sure that the lvm2-lvmetad service is running BEFORE the system performs that check. Try enabling it in systemd
>>
>>54739953
what does systemctl status lvmetad show?
post your grub.conf
>>
>>54738099
Puppy Linux
>>
>>54740059
Yes, I'm using LVM on my SSD. How can I enable it in systemd? I've never messed around with it to be honest. Assume I'm sort of new, please

>>54740073
● lvmetad.service
Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
Active: inactive (dead)

Do you mean grub.cfg? Couldn't find grub.conf
>>
>>54740040
lol

have you ever run the grub-install command by chance?

because it looks like you ran grub-install /dev/sda1 and NOT /dev/sda

so you overwrote the windows bootloader on sda1
>>
>ubuntu is good for gaming

How did I fall for this meme?
I can't even launch steam.
>>
File: 1336590413908.png (50 KB, 1207x935) Image search: [Google]
1336590413908.png
50 KB, 1207x935
>>54740140
I-I don't know. I've run a lot of commands over the past few days. Though, now that I think of it, its possible I did it while I was installing Ubuntu the first time.

Am I fucked?

>at least I have my memes
>>
>>54740138
>grub.conf
yes grub.cfg

Is use_lvmpolid set to 0 in your /etc/lvm/lvm.conf?
>>
>>54740138
>>54740073
>>54740059
Weird thing is that if I use system-config-lvm, I get a prompt saying

"An error occured while loading or saving configuration information for system-config-lvm.py. Some of your configuration settings may not be working properly."
If I click on "Details" I get a bunch of lines with "No D-BUS daemon running"

But aside from that I can see my LVM configuration normally

>>54740215
>>54740268
>Is use_lvmpolid set to 0 in your /etc/lvm/lvm.conf?
No, it's set to 1

this is my grub.cfg
http://pastebin.com/raw/ZmkcMHDs
>>
>>54740299
Also it should be obvious from the grub.cfg, but yeah, I am dual booting. The large majority of my SSD/HDD is for Debian with a small portion of both being for Windows. Windows is not included in the LVM, obviously. It does show up in Grub (as it should)
>>
>>54740202
you're never totally fucked but it's a long road back because windows doesn't play nice with other OSes and you have to reinstall its bootloader, which will wipe out grub

you need to use a windows recovery USB/disc, repair the bootloader with boot repair (it should do this semi-automatically). This will kill grub so you will need a liveUSB of ubuntu to boot into, after which you should be able to just run grub-install /dev/sda (NOT sda1). You might be able to get away with doing this outside of chroot, but it would be MUCH better to chroot into your current installation from the LiveUSB before running grub-install and update-grub
>>
>>54740299
you need to make sure you have all the proper lvm packages installed so that the lvm2-lvmetad.service OR lvmetad.service are present (I don't use your distro so I don't know the naming convention).

Then just run sudo systemctl enable lvm2-lvmetad.service or sudo systemctl lvmetad.service and reboot
>>
>>54740331
>you need to use a windows recovery USB/disc
But a liveusb won't work on my system, as I tried it already, with both win10.iso and the ubuntu.iso.

I can understand what you're saying and what the problem is, but now I can't figure out how to make the liveusb work. I don't have a CD-ROM either cause I'm using a caddy.
>>
>>54740215
never edit grub.conf directly

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

then use update-grub (ubuntu) or grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
>>
>>54740299
>lvmpolid
Set it to 0
>>
>>54740391
try using usb-creator-gtk instead of dd. There is some mbr/uefi nonsense going on, probably from your borked grub install
>>
>>54740147
Not meant to be rude, but if you switched to GNU/Linux for using the same proprietary shit like on Windows, you fucked up anyway.

Next to this, every GNU/Linus distro has the same functionality; there's nothing "better" on Ubuntu.
>>
>>54740419
What will that do? I wouldn't want to mess around with it without knowing exactly what changing that would do
>>
>>54740499
Don't tell people how to use their own computers, cunt
>>
>>54740430
>usb-creator-gtk
Is there someway I can install that directly via the terminal? The ubuntu site says I should install it via synaptic or aptitude, which both recommend using them to install themselves.
>wat.jpg
>>
What's a good light terminal emulator?
So far I've been using xterm but I'm not sure if I should change it.
>>
>>54740370
I think this is the package you mean, and it's already installed

Can't seem to find anything similar to lvmetad.service or lvm2-lvmetad.service. Googled around for it but can't see it. Which is weird because apparently that's how systemctl refers to it

Any advice?
>>
>>54740538
>Don't yell "stop" at me when I'm crossing the street and a car is going to kill me, it's my freedom of choice to die!
>>
>>54740579
>>54740579

Forgot link sorry
https://packages.debian.org/sid/lvm2
>>
>>54740571
Does xterm make you happy? Don't switch, it's very good terminal.
Do you need more functionality? Go with URxvt.
Some people recommend termite, but I never tried it.
>>
>>54740547
sudo apt-get install usb-creator-gtk
>>
>>54740571
termite
>>
>>54740620
I like it, plus it came with all the stuff.
I was just wondering if there was something faster or better.
>>
>>54740499
Many people are switching to Linux because Microsoft is shitting on Windows users
>>
>>54740643
Done. Now, how do I use it?
>>
>>54740669
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications#Terminal_emulators
>>
>>54740704
it will be in your applications menu or just start it from the terminal: sudo usb-creator-gtk
>>
>>54740601
>>54740579
>>54740370
Any ideas my mang?
>>
Steam will bring about the year of the Linux desktop
>>
>>54740833
try adding use_lvmetad=0 to /etc/lvm/lvm.conf
>>
>>54740833
Not sure what else to try. Disabiling the polid is really all i can see to try.

>mess around
Its working fine with 4 lvm spans for me.
>>
File: 1455347315659.jpg (45 KB, 711x669) Image search: [Google]
1455347315659.jpg
45 KB, 711x669
>>54740768
>mount windows.iso to usb
>"you're now ready to use ubuntu on any system via this usb"
>mfw usb has ubuntu files and not windows
>>
>>54740962
>>54740768
Ok, I just noticed. I select the win10.iso, but it doesn't actually select it and continues showing the ubuntu.iso in the selection panel. Could this mean that the win10.iso is damaged or something?
>>
>>54740962
if you are trying to make a windows bootable usb using some random iso, you're going to have a bad time anyways

you can possibly use unetbootin and hack around the ntfs limitation: http://askubuntu.com/a/252910

I have no idea what's on that iso, if it's hybrid, for mbr or gpt only, and if it doesn't touch the boot sector, how your flash drive is formatted to mbr/gpt

M$ officially only supports liveUSB creation from its own media creation tool

>>54741033
have you run an md5sum on the iso? maybe it doesn't like the filename (try renaming it to ubuntu.iso)

or try using unetbootin instead (I never recommend this program but it might be your best shot at making a W10 liveUSB in Linux)

The best solution would try to boot the iso in a VM and then use the W10 media creation tool and USB passthru to actually make a real W10 bootable USB
>>
>>54741079
I'm just testing it now using the ubuntu.iso I used to install ubuntu to see if the usb actually works.

Windows says to use rufus, which is what I used the first time I installed win10. Anyway I can use that? Is the process complicated?
>>
>>54741136
there is no 'rufus' for ubuntu. dd is a failsafe method but if it's not working there is something wrong with your iso or the iso isn't overwriting your mbr/gpt to whatever it needs and your flash drive doesn't currently have the correct one or it's incompatible with your bios/uefi

Microsoft doesn't support 3rd-party media creation tools so you're really on your own. I have very little experience working with windows installation media and the voodoo and hoops they require you to jump through. I've never had a problem using dd so obviously something is borked with your flash drive, bios, or iso.
>>
>>54741079
>>54741136
Ok, so the ubuntu.iso worked.

So this means the usb creator tool works. How do I check the win10.iso? I'll try the renaming option right now.
>>
How "heavy" is Mint exactly?
Would I gain any noticeable improvement in speed from using Cinnamon on top of arch or something like that?
Pic related, htop after a system reboot.
>>
>>54741212
My last option would be to download and create the win10.iso from a windows computer and then use it to fix my shit.

Is there a chance that the liveusb won't work even then? Keep in mind that the ubuntu liveusb just worked. >>54741218
>>
>>54741260
cinnamon is quite literally gnome3 with different desktop paradigm
>>
>>54741312
>with different desktop paradigm
Yes. A sane desktop paradigm.
>>
Reminder that systemd is the basis for a RedHat/NSA takeover of GNU/Linux.

A list of distributions and alternative OSes that do not include systemd by default is available here:
http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page#Free.2FOpen_Source_Operating_systems_without_systemd_in_the_default_installation
>>
>>54741279
check that unetbootin link I posted earlier about making a W10 bootable USB

Basically an iso needs to be a "hybrid" iso in order to boot reliably on mbr and gpt systems. I have no fucking clue what that W10.iso is or whether it's a hybrid iso or what. If you make a W10 bootable USB using the windows media creation tool, you're basically guaranteed for it to work. This may or may not work well in a VM, but certainly on a different computer.

What I think is happening is that you are using a BIOS computer (based on all of your disks being dos formatted) but the windows iso think it needs to boot as gpt/uefi because that is how your flash drive is likely formatted. Or it's a bad iso, or not a hybrid iso. If you want to make sure, use parted or fdisk to change the flash drive from gpt to mbr and then use dd to load the W10 image. If it's not a hybrid iso, this will fix it.
>>
How do I go from DE to WM only?
Do I need to know something else besides moving around and basic stuff with bash?
>>
>>54741353
>A sane desktop paradigm.
That depends on your preferences.
If Windows is all you've used for the past 20 years of your life then yes it's the only paradigm that will make sense to you.
Baby duck syndrome or something like that it's called.

If we were to start fresh however desktop paradigm of gnome3 is the one that makes the most sense from human ergonomics point of view because It was actually designed with cognitive ergonomics in mind.
>>
>>54734972
Using Linux is same as you would say I'm using a phone that my friend gave me for free. Although Linux isn't that much of a thing it's very powerful, stable and you can do so much more with it. Linux may not be intuitive in some cases, but I suggest that Beginner users use Ubuntu or some other intuitive and simple Linuxes. For Intermediate users I suggest using Debian or Gentoo. For Advanced users I suggest using Arch or Kali.
>>
>>54741417
Unfortunately, it is gnome.
>>
>>54741390
he wants to manage init dependencies manually instead of using modern systems theory to handle it mathematically perfectly for him
>>
>>54741406
you must first acquire the wizarding level 12 card and associated magic staff
>>
File: liberator-face.jpg (19 KB, 595x604) Image search: [Google]
liberator-face.jpg
19 KB, 595x604
>>54741390
>A list of distributions and alternative OSes that do not include systemd by default is available here:

A "list of half broken garbage" takes less words
>>
>>54741446
systemd is a hell of a lot more than just an init system these days.
>>
>>54741417
>Baby duck syndrome or something like that it's called.
Except I've went trough DOS Windows 2.0, 3.11 and I fucking hated Windows 95 at first, and I even used OS X when it first came out.
So no, it's not baby duck syndrome. Just because something came from Microsoft doesn't mean it's inherently bad.
Cinnamon is a lot like Windows, but better and I can appreciate that.
>>
>>54741483
>Just because something came from Microsoft doesn't mean it's inherently bad.
I never said that you defensive knob

Read the first sentence of my post.
>>
... why is he always sitting with his laptop?
>>
>>54741404
Even if I use a windows pc to make the usb, I'll use rufus cause the fucking windows media creation tool is a fucking piece of shit. It always hangs on me when I tried it. Rufus works flawlessly.

The unetbootin link you posted seems easy enough, but I'm way too exhausted to try any more shit on ubuntu.

Is there a reliable alternative to internet download manager for ubuntu? I wanna leave the win10.iso to download over the night and firefoxs downloads often fuck up, especially when they're this big.
>>
>>54741520
he gets lots of emails with questions about his anime preferences and green peppers
>>
Are there any good alternatives to Libre Office? It's absolutely horrid.
>>
>>54741536
http://ugetdm.com/

never used it
>>
>>54741557
Office 365
>>
>>54741557
Google Docs™®©
>>
Are suspend resume problems caused by shit video drivers? I'm using an AMD card.
>>
>>54741500
No, you were being extremely dismissive and condescending, (muh Windows baby duck syndrome) don't even pretend otherwise.

>>54741557
WPS Office
>>
>>54741583
look at the logs
>>
>>54741583
Almost certainly. You should try using a Voodoo3 chipset instead.
>>
>>54741563
Already have that and it caused an error at the very end when the download was completed. Probably why the iso is fucked in the first place.
>>
>>54741557
What's wrong with it?
>>
Is rms autistic?
>>
>>54741625
Are you autistic? Huh? Huh?
>>
Is there any terminal that does automatically re-align it's text when I resize the window? Or is there a way to enable it in urxvt?
>>
>>54741597
>No, you were being extremely dismissive and condescending, (muh Windows baby duck syndrome) don't even pretend otherwise.
Oh yeah just because someone memed you hard in the future you assume every time someone mentions the "baby duck syndrome" you assume it's there to insult you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imprinting_%28psychology%29#Baby_duck_syndrome
Kill yourself or cease posting immediately my friend.
>>
File: SCR_1464207837.png (826 B, 221x31) Image search: [Google]
SCR_1464207837.png
826 B, 221x31
shit faм
shit
shit
shit
>>
>>54741616
just use wget and if need be invoke the continue option
>>
>>54741656
in the past*
chroist
>>
>>54741557
i like it.
>>54741625
he is probably an aspie. it's impressive how much he accomplished in spite of it.
>>
File: 1462635878636.jpg (7 KB, 263x192) Image search: [Google]
1462635878636.jpg
7 KB, 263x192
>>54741661
That's what you get for using macfag meme shells
>>
>>54741642

I think vte3 supports that, so just use a terminal emulator that uses that library. GNOME terminal or mate-terminal-gtk3.
>>
>>54741661
Your PATH isn't set in your .zshrc

Run "echo $PATH" and then add to your ~/.zshrc "PATH=[output of the previous command]"

That should work.
>>
>>54741711
Thanks, will check that out.
>>
File: SCR_1464208119.png (3 KB, 212x159) Image search: [Google]
SCR_1464208119.png
3 KB, 212x159
>>54741706
Don't worry, it's gone now.
Everything is gone.

>>54741724
Nah, man. Nah.
>>
>>54741675
not caring about what people think of him and his ideas probably allowed him to think further than most others ever will.
Not that he is a divine genius or anything, but you have to lack regard for the opinions of others when you write things like these:
Besides, I often enjoy rhinophytonecrophilia (nasal sex with dead plants)

which is of course just a clever way of saying that he likes to smell flowers
>>
>>54741661
export PATH=$PATH
>>
File: bumblebee-rm-rf-usr.png (32 KB, 581x260) Image search: [Google]
bumblebee-rm-rf-usr.png
32 KB, 581x260
>>54741736
gjge
>>
>>54741664
Seems complicated as fuck. Just got wine from the ubuntu software thingy and trying to make rufus work.
>>
I have a bunch of links in a single line (i.e. <div class="example"><file source="1.ex" /><file source="2.ex" />.....</div>). I understand most text processing programs like grep, sort, all work on a once per line basis. do I need sed to introduce a new line after every tag, and THEN do my text processing?
>>
>>54741766
you just started down a trail of tears

good luck
>>
>>54741656
I know what the term means god damn, what I'm saying is people like you use it in a dismissive manner every time someone says something about Gnome.
>Gnome is better because of these buzzwords and if only you weren't so used to Windows you'd see how glorious it is!
Yeah nah, maybe if I was on a tablet I'd use it.
>>
who is the smartest, stallman or linus?
>>
>>54741737
i love his wordplays and puns, i'd recommend to
lynx https://stallman.org/puns.html
>>
File: rm2.jpg (7 KB, 504x315) Image search: [Google]
rm2.jpg
7 KB, 504x315
What does one do in the event of "rm -rf /" on a VPS?
I have a shell that doesn't run any commands, I have VNC that doesn't log me in.
But of course I have no backups since dumbfucks at ramnode don't have that option for KVM VPS.
>>
>>54741706
zsh can be "okay" if you just use the shell itself (and really need features bash can't do). It's basically just the macfag community shilling their cancerous alias framework "ohmyzsh" etc.
>>
>>54741766
>installing wine
>installing wine for rufus

kek
>>
>>54741815
probably stallman, but i never spoke to linus. both are impressive people.
>>
>>54741782
>>54741833
What? What did I do wrong? Is it dangerous? Should I delete it?
>>
>>54741771
I dont understand what you actually want, but post an example line and what part of the line you need.
>>
>>54741829
>>54741706

zsh has worked on a lot of my personal shell scripts that won't run in bash for some archaic bug-related expansion reasons but works perfectly as intended in zsh

anon is right, zsh w/o ohmyzsh is fine
>>
>>54741842
Any particular reason why, or do you just like him more?
>>
>>54741821
I guess I'll boot the live image and inspect the damage.
>>
>>54741875
the way he composes sentences and how fast he can formulate arguments that fit, but that could be due to linus being from finland. finns are pretty good at english tho.
>>
>>54741860
>>zsh has worked on a lot of my personal shell scripts that won't run in bash
You are doing it wrong anon. A shell script should work for a specific shell, declared in the shebang at the top of the file. Even better practice is to code POSIX compatible (just using sh).
>>
>>54741847
eli5 answer:

I drove a honda civic and it had a cupholder i really liked

I just bought an indy car and although it's got 800 different cupholder sizes and locations that I can plug-n-play install in 1 minute, I'm going to rip out the cupholder from the old civic and then spend 5 days elmer's gluing it into the car, and even though it won't work right or hold my drinks as effectively as it did in the civic, it'll be something I'm familiar with
>>
>>54741925
holy fuck I know this dude, I'm a computer engineer, but even though you can write a POSIX-compliant script doesn't mean that the shell will have its own quirks that hit edge cases
>>
File: 1438713020299.jpg (17 KB, 299x383) Image search: [Google]
1438713020299.jpg
17 KB, 299x383
>>54741966
>computer engineer
>trail and error scripting
>>
>>54741737
He supports pedophillia.
He wants his corpse to be used for necrophillia(which he also supports)
>>
>>54742002
literally what?

I've got to get off of here, I forget sometimes I'm dealing with morons
>>
>>54741900
Because stallman has nothing else to do,but formulate arguments people can have against him.
Linus on the other hand,is contributing to society and his peers.
>>
>>54742004
No he doesn't. If you now continue posting quotes of RMS on pedophilia, you are propably too retarded to read and understand and leave the gene pool.
>>
>>54742004
he doesn't support pedophilia, he said "I am skeptical of the claim that voluntarily pedophilia harms children. The arguments that it causes harm seem to be based on cases which aren't voluntary, which are then stretched by parents who are horrified by the idea that their little baby is maturing. "
which is pretty reasonable. being sceptical is a good thing, especially about things that have little to no research behind them
>>
>>54741855
nevermind, I simply did it with a for loop
>>
>>54742041
dude, linus is contributing to one single kernel that he knows will be obsolete one day. i like linus and still think you are a faggot for trying to make a fight out of this.
>>
>>54742042
+should
>>
>>54741936
Surprisingly, I understood that. Trying to emulate a windows installer would be a real bitch cause theres billions of different programs that it should support and as a result, too many variables to account for.

Deleted it. Will just use rufus on a windows computer.

Ubuntu, never again. At least, not on my one and only fucking computer.
>>
>>54742069
So much this. Seriously.

Everything ends up with dividing the community, splitting them in Linusfags and Stallmanists.

Just fucking stop replying to these faggots.
>>
>>54742104
>>Ubuntu, never again. At least, not on my one and only fucking computer.
remember that it's you who overwrote the bootloader and windows that doesn't play along nicely with multiboot-systems.
>>
>>54734972
this nigga bout to get crushed by that damn rock
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.