[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Laptop overheating
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
I have this acer laptop, which officially has overheating issues, but it works for me, match all my mobility needs and after 5 years still works great
is packed with an i5 2540m and nvidia gt630m
is fine for low end mobility emergency gaming, but recently temperatures are so high...
with max fan cpu+gpu reach 90 degrees in game, which is the throttling temp I set inbios.
idle temp is 45c
I changed thermal paste 3 times trying two different brands and three different applications (more, less) and nothing helps.
now. it never heated so much before, I am sure it can stay at lower temperature with no fan base or external fan. what should I do with this?!
>>
That's not overheating, that's functioning as intended.

Get a cooling pad thing, they do work
>>
>>54732674
There is a way that could solve it, but it's hard to pull of.
Don't laugh, it's water cooling.
Some guy on a random forum posted pictures that he soldered a U shaped pipe that was pretty thin to the bronze heat disposer rod. He had the ends coming out from the side of the laptop so he could could easily connect/disconnect it from the external stuff.
It didn't look ugly at all.
>>
>>54732674
Use compressed air. Dust has built up inside. Put the nozzle in the air vent and blow that dust out.
>>
>>54732674
That's pretty much a laptop for you.
I live in AZ so my Temps are a bit skewed but my pc sits idle avg 35-42°c
Gpu about the same
Gaming it can go up to 70-75°c
Laptops will always overheat, it's just the way they are built, you can't expect optimal cooling in a package THAT small.
>>
>>54733916
man such hack could kill portability, but I will dig in it for fun
>>54733933
already cleaned shit with compressed air. lowered some degrees, but still hot
>>54734051
I'm sure it was not heating so much some time ago, I can push throttle limit up to 90 but I'm definitely killing components.

what thermal paste do you guys use? no silver thanks, too risky. I have a cooler master generic one that came with a water cooler, but I don't think that a different one would change much
I'm considering an external cooler, opolar is awesome, and also an ssd should help
>>
>>54732904
This is the only solution that isn't retarded.
>>
>>54732674
i had similar issues with my t430.
cleaning didnt help so i opened it up and it turns out the thermal grease they used on the cpu had dried and crumbled up.
after replacing it i with the stuff noctua nh-d15s come with it went down 30 degrees under load.
to 60 down from 90.

i did a bit of research and many notebook manufacturers skimp a lot on thermal compounds.
changing it out should help you a ton. i dont know if the acer laptop is as accessible as a thinkpad when opening up though.
had has an i7 26XX something mobile processor and an nvidia nvs5400 gpu.
i replaced the thermal compound on both the cpu and the gpu even though i have it disabled in the bios since the intel hd 4000 is good enough to play most games at 1080p believe it or not.
>>
>>54732674
>google chrome
>opera
>firefox
>internet explorer
I'm not sure what the worst thing is in this picture, the pizza on the laptop or having 4 web browsers pinned.
>>
>>54736503
Can't you read? He changed the thermal paste three times already. Fucking add retards everywhere
>>
>>54732674
Is the heatsink making good contact with the CPU and GPU? I had a similar problem with my T430, changed heat paste multiple times and nothing helped. Turns out the bottom of the heatsink was slightly bent, possibly due to me removing it multiple times. I bent it back to as flat as possible, and temps lowered around 10 C. Better solution would be to change the heatsink altogether.
>>
File: 2_cute.jpg (28 KB, 74x75) Image search: [Google]
2_cute.jpg
28 KB, 74x75
>>54733933
He think OP opened his laptop and changed the thermal paste but left the fucking dust in there?

ohmehgursh, OP, you so stoopid
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.