[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Project ARA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: 1408543297950-559d0048a8f5a.png (29 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1408543297950-559d0048a8f5a.png
29 KB, 633x758
Fuck google. They had to go out and fucking ruin it completely. Fuck Google, I'm done with their shitty antics.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/24/11748428/google-project-ara-modular-phones-iot-store
>>
>non-modular screen
>non-modular SoC
The dream is dead.

>this is just the developer edition
>maybe the user edition will return to the original dream
What? Okay, fine. The dream is still alive. For now.
>>
>>54730818
The article seems to imply its for all the editions. They honestly just removed the main attraction and premise of ara, what am I going to do now, add some sick beats speakers? What a waste
>>
>>54730776
DUDE

phones are already modular, holyshit. Can you replace the battery?

FUCKING MODULAR!

Can you replace the screen?

FUCKING MODULAR!

jesus fucking christ you autists are the worst
>>
>>54731141
A..are you ok? Need me to call the paramedics? Or a psychiatrist maybe?
>>
>>54730776
>But the metaphorical sense of locking down is perhaps more interesting; all modules will be approved by Google and without Google's code, they physically won't connect to Ara.
>"There's no gray market opportunity," a member of the Ara team says. "It's all coded within there." Instead, the market for selling modules will run through Google, which will sell the modules in addition to approving them. And it will take a cut too,
WALLED GARDEN
A
L
L
E
D
>>
File: 1253590670447.jpg (79 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1253590670447.jpg
79 KB, 640x480
>>54730776
You cant ruin something that will be dead on arrival anon.
>>
We never really had modular laptops why do you think we'd have smartphones
>>
Ara ara~
>>
>>54732780
came here to post this.
>>
A modular smartphone in the sense you want, will be bulky as fuck. The G5 has a somewhat sensible amount of modularity to it (even though the camera extra is kind of stupid) and it already is large in the hands. Having mounting points will increase size and weight of the phone for what? That you upgrade half of the parts after 1-2 years anyway? It's a meme and it always was
>>
>>54730776
>Of course Google is happy to have this be its first phone, can you imagine a more Google-y phone than one you can customize on the fly?

Boy can I
>>
Hahahahahaha good old google cucking everyone.

>there will be no grey market potential. All components must be approved and signed by google to lock them into place with their super exotic locking mechanism using fuckknowswhat DRM technology, ensuring g every module is "genuine", so that fashion companies can assure the customer only "genuine" accessories can be connected to the phone

This is cracking me the fuck up. God bless Google, coming up with yet another way to fuck you until you drip churned buttermilk from your blown out boipucci lmao they did it again.

Really impressive, how it sounded so good with replaceable cheap components that anyone could manufacture, opening it up for everyone. But no, fuck that idea, let's take a page out of apples book, and make sure we are in control of every aspect of your device.

Bravo. Well done. I can't wait to see what kind of trainwreck this will turn into, how much consumers will be bend over and fucked by proprietary, locked down, restrictive and deliberately closed down devices controlled by a singular entity whom everyone depends on their good will to "do no evil".
>>
>Google can LITERALLY PHYSICALLY LOCK your hardware
When I thought that smartphones can't get more cuckrietary.
>>
>>54731903
>walled garden
It's a fucking walled wall at this point.
No garden here bitch.
>>
>>54731903
This is brilliant.

Essentially it guarantees to be dead on arrival. If every module has to go through an approval process and comply with Google idea and vision of what it should be, you no longer have a truly modular device, but rather a customized device very much like you can choose what extra features you want in your brand new Nissan skyline.

This is a tradegy, because it probably means no small business or independent entrepreneurs will be able to do anything remotely interesting with it, and the only ones who will be able to finance and develop for it will be the big industrial giants and the idea of freedom and true limitless potential is nothing more than an illusion.
>>
>>54733940
>has to go through an approval process and comply with Google
If the play store is anything to go by this is little more than a non-issue tho.
>>
>>54733859
Well they don't want you to buy the cheapest chink shit on the market and then blame Google for a laggy, broken or exploded device, and a hacked bank account. I'm pretty sure that you can circumvent these controls, but you have to do it deliberately and knowingly, the same as installing untrusted software on smartphones
>>
>>54730818
>Not buying aria and filling all the slots with micro SD cards
>>
>>54730776
So it's literally doing nothing more than LG G5 or the new Moto Z?

Can't say I expected much more of it desu.
>>
is this modular crap an attempt to future proof muh specs for future lagdroid versions?
>>
>>54733960
the Problem IS that Unlike With the Play Store that allows you to still Install apps from unknown Sources You will only have one distributor of Parts and thats it
>>
>>54730818
Screen I'm fine with, but if I can't update the SoC or ram then fuck that shit.
>>
>>54734025
have you read about the proprietary Connection mechanism and Communication Protocol ? It's like nothing that exists today and is Invented specificaly to Prevent Unauthorized modules from being used

Theyre putting restriction mechanisms In place before they're even designing these Modules
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.