[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone ever do a external gpu for their broke ass laptop? Anyone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: IMG_20160501_165057.jpg (3 MB, 2160x3840) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160501_165057.jpg
3 MB, 2160x3840
Anyone ever do a external gpu for their broke ass laptop? Anyone who has done this before, post stories, problems, etc. Pic unrelated

This is a repost because peeps can't read/Google. External graphics processor units is what I'm saying, not external gps.
>>
>>54728341
I haven't had a problem with my GPS yet.
>>
Mini PCIE is 1x. Assuming there was some sort of MPCIE riser / adapter, you're looking at speeds slower than AGP.
>>
>>54728449
You autistic bitch lol
>>
>>54728341
what is that a picture of?
>>
>>54728515
That's pretty much what it is, and ya its a decent bottleneck for data speeds. Works if you got 3 laptops all with shitty graphics but a decent cpu inside. I'd want to try it on my AMD A8-4500m, quad core with 1.9 ghz of power. Can just make it to specs to play 'elite: dangerous' then I'd be good. Ever don't it with success?
>>
>>54728515
After further investigating, it appears such a thing exists. It requires an additional power source though.
>>
>>54728626
No... the APU would be much faster than any 1x GPU you could find.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (260 KB, 1728x1152) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
260 KB, 1728x1152
>>54728632
Ya, an extra psu is needed. this is what I was the adapter I considering, plan on making a case for the gpu and the psu to help with stability. I found an entire site that's detected tells how to make it all work
>>
>>54728625
That's actually an external hard drive dock that blew up while I was using it, didn't mess up the hard drive at least. All that gray shit is stuff from inside the capacitor that blew, you can see the blue cap lodged into the corner of the case.
>>
>>54728673
Here you go little guy

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/computing-components/graphics-cards/how-to-make-an-external-laptop-graphics-adaptor-915616
>>
is it possible to have an external GPU on a thinkpad t42?
i was thinking of a slim 256mb radeon of some sorts
lower power usage, low temperatures
>>
>>54728740
You do understand the 16x GPU will operate at 1x speeds, yes? It might be fine for mining bitcoins or folding proteins, but it wont be suitable to gaming.
>>
Nice to see you fixed this thread from e-GPS to GPU, you fucking retard.
Did some googling did you bud?
>>
>people can't google/read
You put GPS in your last thread title, and you blame other people? You're a fucking joke
>>
could always do it with thunderbolt, but you'd need both a laptop and an external gpu with thunderbolt...

Also, it'd still just be 4 lanes
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.