[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Windows 10 Not Genuine Anymore?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
/g/, I am so irritated and I have no idea what I can do.
I had a laptop computer whose parts were actually falling apart at the seams (left hinge was completely broken; we found small pieces of the plastic from it scattered throughout the case. It was bad.) and last night I put all of the survivable parts of it into the case of another computer. Everything seemed pretty okay last night, sans the processor being a little iffy, but I survived.
Today, I wake up and open my computer and I have this "activate windows" thing on the corner of my screen that won't go away (pic related). I go, "okay", and attempt to activate Windows even though my copy of Windows 10 should technically still be genuine since I didn't do anything to void the 'genuine-ness' of it. I called support, gave them the product key on the case that I'm currently using, and they hang up on me and have not yet called me back. I do not have the product key on the old case with me, but I could probably get that back in a few days if that would actually help me.
Can I survive without a 'genuine' copy of W10, or should I attempt to get the product key back from the guy that has my old case? Is there a way I can make my copy of W10 genuine without getting the old key?

TL;DR: Poorfag can't afford a new computer, fusion-ha'd two laptops together to make something breathable until I can get a new computer in the coming months. Microsoft no likey.
>>
File: 1464129109996s.jpg (3 KB, 250x65) Image search: [Google]
1464129109996s.jpg
3 KB, 250x65
Active Windows

Go to Settings to activate Windows
>>
>>54726618
MSToolkit
>>
>>54726618
Use KMS activator
>>
>I didn't do anything to void the 'genuine-ness'
Yes you did. What is "genuine" is the unique set of hardware with which the OS was installed. If you too drastically change the hardware configuration like you did, you have a new computer in Microsoft's eyes. This requires a new license; Windows licenses are non-transferable. It's one thing to add a new hard drive or replace some failing RAM, but they drew a line in the sand so that people wouldn't make the Laptop of Theseus.

Pretty fucked, huh? Get yourself a new OS, either a different version of Windows or try dipping your toes into Linux.
>>
>>54728929
Nice try Linus, but Windows takes about 5 seconds to crack
>>
>>54728929
Oh, rip, I wasn't aware of that. I took like 90% of the parts of the other computer and put it onto this one.
Would the product key for the new case you think be usable for this?

>>54728979
I'm a dipshit desu, how would I do this? I just want to get rid of the hover thing more than anything else, I honestly could care less if this computer is genuine or not. I'm getting a replacement in like three months, this is basically just to tie me over until I can get the money for something from this decade.
>>
Also I would rather not attempt linux, mainly because I want to still run Windows stuff without catching my hard drive on fire. Would Wine be able to run on a processor that's on its dying breath?
>>
>>54729251
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/28669-Microsoft-Toolkit-Official-KMS-Solution-for-Microsoft-Products
>>
>>54729348
This didn't want to work for me... Idk if I did something wrong or what but it just kinda sat there loading for about twenty minutes.
>>
Did your old laptop originally came with win 10 when you bought it?

Did you put its parts in a desktop case or a laptop case?
What parts did you put exactly?
>>
>>54730533
>Did your old laptop originally came with win 10 when you bought it?
What kind of question is that?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.