[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have something that you are trying to interface with a computer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: IMG_20160524_142307.jpg (2 MB, 2952x5248) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160524_142307.jpg
2 MB, 2952x5248
Have something that you are trying to interface with a computer that isn't normally supposed to interface with one?
>pic related
My first project with this sort of thing.
>>
It's a portable TV set unable to receive over the air broadcast anymore. What exactly were you wanting to do here? You would need a PC capture card most likely with coax I/O. Does that thing even have RCA jacks?
>>
I haven't done much research yet to be honest but my overall goal would be to interface it with my computer to use it as a spectrometer for currently playing music. If not.. somehow use an arduino to program the knobs in the front to create different frequencies.
>>
>>54723059
>>
>>54722882
You're an idiot. Take it back to the thrift store.
>>
>>54722882
Yes, a digital multimeter with a chipset supporting serial communications.
Which is obviously convenient.
Otherwise one might consider building their own I/O to serial interfacing. (Arduino comes to mind)
>>
>>54722882
>Have something that you are trying to interface with a computer that isn't normally supposed to interface with one?

What the fuck does this mean
>>
<333 You guys are so inspiring <333
>>
>>54723177
O wait I didn't see that one
Thats a gigantic waste of time given the complexity of the task and the final result
>>
>>54723831
also, detach crt vertical control and connect your junk on it with appropriate voltage
>>
>>54723177
>Program the knobs in the front to create different frequencies
Stop. Just stop.

Go and look up the millions of tutorials and instructional videos on turning old CRT TVs into oscilloscopes.
>>
>>54722882
>>54723177
jesus fuck just figure out how to wire an RF modulator to it
>>
File: SAM_1804.jpg (153 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
SAM_1804.jpg
153 KB, 1200x900
I was thinking about trying to connect my old exercise bike to a raspberry pi gpio and have it show speed and distance on a monitor. I'm not sure how to go about interpreting the data from the bike
>>
I turned a fax machine into a scanner back in the 90s. Dad thought I was some sort of wizard, but I just hooked it to my modem and used some pirated fax software and manually initiated the connections without a dial tone.
>>
>>54727280
Just use an optical sensor to count the passing of the resistance fan blades.
>>
>>54727424
It already has a sensor that connects to a simple monitor. I was thinking I could get the data from that somehow.
>>
File: IMG_0040.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0040.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>54723177
This is what you want. Not a portable tv player.
>>
>>54723177
>to interface it with my computer to use it as a spectrometer for currently playing music.
This is relatively easy and there plenty of guides online to do so.

>If not.. somehow use an arduino to program the knobs in the front to create different frequencies.
Unless you have a degree in EE, don't bother.
>>
>>54727465
Measure voltage, take readings, compare to existing equipment, use GPIO pins (voltage-adjusted), write whatever you want to to interpret the data, etc.
>>
>>54727758
Thanks thats pretty much what I was thinking but I dont have any experience with low level stuff like this. I'll give it a try sometime
>>
>>54727829
"low level" That isnt low level at all. Its basic electronics.
>>
>>54727829
I only do programming and system administration. To me it is low level.
>>
>>54727605

What are some actual practical uses for people to have an oscilloscope?
>>
>>54728212
Troubleshooting digital circuits.
>>
>>54723831
It's not a waste of time if OP enjoys it. It is stupid, though
>>
>>54728288
>Troubleshooting digital circuits.

that'd be a logic analyzer.
oscilloscopes are for analog
>>
>>54723733
Shut the fuck up, you ridiculous, narcissistic man-child. Don't you fucking read hackaday? What the fuck do you know about anything, motherfucker?!

So here's all you need to use that TV:
1) video card that will output composite video, check out ebay in vintage computing
2) OR vga to composite converter, you can get them for $20 on craigslist if you look around
3) RF modulator that takes composite and spits out channel 3 or 4, they came with pretty much every vintage computer and game console and can be had for a few bucks on ebay
4) maybe a little 75 ohm to 300 ohm balun depending on the antenna terminals on the TV
5) *boom* you got video to your TV from your computer

Everything you need can probably had for free or less than $30 on ebay.
>>
>>54728329

> implying you can't use one for that anyway

>>54728212

anything related to circuits and electricity. Sometimes just sticking a wet finger onto a pcb just isn't enough
>>
>>54728212
Debugging/testing any circuit. Testing the quality of power supplies. It's one of the first pieces of equipment any electrical engineer should buy.

>>54728329
All signals are analog signals. An oscilloscope can reveal many issues with a circuit that is supposedly digital. Many newer scopes can also decode serial data like I2C.
>>
>>54730422
The first thing they should buy is a decent multimeter... Then a powersupply. THEN an OScope.
>>
>>54730815
Depending on the line of work of an ee, one might never really need an oscilloscope in the entire career.
Then again others will need it all the time.
A portable tv oscilloscope? Now that noone will ever need.
>>
>>54727280
Wait, is that an fan that you have to peddle? Outrageous
>>
>>54733002
this post is embarrassing
>>
>>54733002
>american has never heard of exercise
lol
>>
>>54730815
>one of the first

I think top three qualifies as that
>>
>>54728329
fukken lmao this nigga thinks signals are truly digital. u major in cs, dumbazz white boi?
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.