[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Honest question from someone who understands nothing about programming:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: picture-111.png (2 MB, 1217x808) Image search: [Google]
picture-111.png
2 MB, 1217x808
Honest question from someone who understands nothing about programming:

would it be possible to make some kind of program to transform google maps/street view information to a game map? for instance, a minecraft map.

or a fps map/racing game map

how difficult would be to do something like that?
>>
Using their api is easy. Making a game is harder, especially online multiplayer
>>
>>54721299
Theoretically yes, you can do whatever the fuck you want. Making a map program that takes google raster images and turn them into 3D data would be fucken hard tho.

But you can make minecraft maps and such from elevation data quite easily with existing software, but that is elevation only, no buildings.
>>
>>54721519
Google Earth has cities in 3d. It's very rough geometry created from 2d images though.
>>
>>54721563
The 3D imagery in Google Earth can not be exported. To use those images you would have to make a program that somehow saves the 2D images and reconstruct them as 3D objects.
>>
niantic have come closest with ingress/pokemon go
although i think some jew trickery was involved as they were acquired by google then given independence again. i assume they have had the help from google to achieve such feats
>>
>>54721942
Ingress just layers stuff on top of google maps through some google API. Nothing is exported or converted.
>>
>>54721299
Yes. The US Geological Survey site has elevation maps for the entire country. If you wanted to import something like the grand canon, that'd be the place to look. If you wanted something that included buildings (ie NYC), then I'm not as sure
>>
>>54721916
You can export the 3d meshes and uv unwrapped textures, but it requires third party tools.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.