[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are PC speakers either trash or $500 professional studio
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
File: 81q7xmdbs5L._SL1500_.jpg (150 KB, 1500x949) Image search: [Google]
81q7xmdbs5L._SL1500_.jpg
150 KB, 1500x949
Why are PC speakers either trash or $500 professional studio monitors? Is there no middle ground?
>>
The "middle ground" depends on your budget and expectations.

There's an "autistic true audio instead of toy computer speakers" in almost every price range, especially if you don't mind buying used, but if you don't have the time or interest you can get away with basic computer speakers and be satisfied unless you're an audiofag.
>>
Audiophiles are the highest form of autism. Don't go audiophile, OP
>>
>>54718255
Are there any "autistic true audio" speakers for around $100?

Looking for something that sounds crisp at the sacrifice of some bass. I'm aware I'm not getting both.
>>
File: klipsch-promedia.gif (105 KB, 770x433) Image search: [Google]
klipsch-promedia.gif
105 KB, 770x433
I got these from best buy for $99.99, which I feel is a great price for the performance
>>
>>54718282
I had the exact same speakers and they just died on me yesterday. Now I'm worried I won't luck out with the sound quality vs price again.
>>
>>54718272
http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-B652-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B002RMPHMU

with

http://www.amazon.com/Lepy-LP-2020A-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B009G0RK26
>>
>>54718303
That sucks. I got my first pair around 2005, they died in 2009 (I think there was a problem with the power board on the earlier ones).

If you didn't throw them out it may be repairable.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/144665-my-promedia-21-subwoofer-died/
>>
>>54718319
I'm pretty sure the board in one speaker is fucked and one of the pins in the woofer is fried. Might be worth repairing. Thanks.
>>
File: wake up.jpg (191 KB, 611x713) Image search: [Google]
wake up.jpg
191 KB, 611x713
>tfw i tried 2.1 speakers after using stereo usb speakers for over 6 years
I can't go back.
>>
>>54718314
Looks like a pretty sweet setup.

>$10.57 shipping

Fucking hell
>>
>>54718400
Makes about 100 bucks incl. shipping, but feel free to browse for alternatives.
>>
>>54718192
>>54718272
Look at local used electronics shops or thrift shops like goodwill. They ALWAYS have speakers and high end receivers for CHEAP.
>>
>>54718192
PC speakers have always been like this.

the middle ground is to go get a newer digital amp and run it in stereo/analoge and get a bunch of vintage speakers or build them yourself

i setup my system for under $200

audiophiles are fucking reatrds
>>
>>54718479
>tfw bought a nice Onkyo TX-SR308 for $10 at goodwill
>tfw bought a nice pair of speakers for $7
If I'd both them new, I'd have paid about $300-400.
>>
Any dedicated Hifi amp and speakers is going to sound infinitely better than "PC speakers" and can be picked up dirt cheap.
>>
creative t10s are the best budget speakers for a computer, you can get them new for like $39.99.

The downside is they have shitty controls on the speakers, but its nothing a players eq wont sort out...

if you honestly need something better you're probably not just playing mp3s and shit on your computer and youd be better served buying a good 5.1 system for around 300 - 500 for immersive gaming and movie watching if your rig is a lounge setup with say a big screen tv/projector, or perhaps a multi monitor setup, or if you're doing pro audio work getting a set of 500-1000 dollar monitors.
>>
File: UCA202.jpg (120 KB, 640x532) Image search: [Google]
UCA202.jpg
120 KB, 640x532
>>54718192
>PC speakers

Just buy normal speakers and hook them up with a DAC.
>>
>>54718536
>Onkyo TX-SR308
lol audiophiles are dumbshits

i hang onto amps for 5-10 years below they blow up/unrepairable
>>54718583
nope their fuck awful
>>54718564
this.

even buying new older amps cost like $100
buying new speakers is fucking retarded especially when you can usually find them for free
>>
>>54718192
klipsch promedias
>>
>>54718583

also inb4 somebody says yeah but $149.99 [___brand___] speakers are better, yeah no shit, im talking about pretty much a set of almost throw away speakers here..

They are like the sennhesier hd201s ( beast headphones for like 25 dollars) of speakers, a fucking stupidly cheap but as good as twice the price option, with somewhat average build quality which should be fine so long as you dont treat them like a savage.
>>
>>54718608
>nope their fuck awful

not for 39.99 they aint, find me a better pair under 50 dollars.

if you compare them to a 99 dollar 2.1 system sure, or a cheap set of desktop say budget behringer/ m audio monitors for like 250 dollars.
>>
Creative A350 or Logitech Z323?
>>
>>54718608
For $10, you can't beat the price, no sub $100 amp will compete with this thing.
>>
>>54718608
any brand in particular to watch out for or are all "bookshelf speakers" pretty much the same?
>>
You can get a damn good setup with a $20 t-amp and a $100 pair of bookshelf speakers.
>>
i seriously recommend the swan media stuff
example would be the d1010's. if you actually pay attention stuff like the d1080's which i just placed an order for, are amazing. Infact fuck studio monitors unless youre buying legit rocket 6's, hs5s, lsr 305's ect. anything under 300$ in studio monitors sounds like hot garbage. But seriously hivi/swan make the best pc sound systems period. the m series is amazing and the d series isnt to far behind. link to hivi's shit by the way

https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/multimedia-desktop/hivi-acoustics
>>
File: tweak_dk_Argon_6340A_12.jpg (100 KB, 520x714) Image search: [Google]
tweak_dk_Argon_6340A_12.jpg
100 KB, 520x714
>>54718192
The PC speaker market have been dead for a long time now.

Go for a set of "active" speakers that have built in amplifier instead.

Pic related is what I use now, costed me around ~$170 and sounds excellent for the price.
>>
>>54718192
Polk audio. Usually find their equipment on sale for way less than msrp. They do a good job on their crossovers generally.
>>
>>54718591
How will they work, then?
>>
>>54718192
I have my PC hooked up to a cheap sony receiver with two maranitz bookshelf speakers
i won't ever go back to conventional PC speakers ....
>>
First of all, unless you travel, have severe space limits, or play a lot of gigs, you don't need powered monitor speakers. Good monitors cost more than $1000. The shit you see paraded around here on /g is the same as the shit you see on the watch subthread. Merging the amplifer with the speaker in one box, when not done well, causes interference and noise. When the speaker amp dies, the speaker becomes useless. Also, heat generation in the speaker cabinet that houses the amp is undesirable and shortens the life of both components.

Second of all, excellent used passive speakers are available all over the internet. You can find some for less than 300 dollars. Then pair them with a cheap amp (not lepai garbage) and you have a basic mid-range sound system.

If you add on another $400 dollars budget, which is not much, considering audio equipment lasts for decades, and not six to 12 months, like most computer tech, you can attain low-end audiophile quality sound reproduction.

It requires a certain amount of research and then knowing what you're looking for. Most of posters in these threads really have any idea what they're doing, or any idea of how shitty their recommendations are.
>>
A regular stereo for stereo sources + a 5.1 system + good headphones. No need for gay 2.1.
>>
File: 91Pa4D6j-2L._SL1500_.jpg (221 KB, 1089x1500) Image search: [Google]
91Pa4D6j-2L._SL1500_.jpg
221 KB, 1089x1500
Should i hop on a pair of HS8?
>>
Genelec user here

Anything cheaper is trash
>>
Too many turbofaggots in /g/.
>>
>>54721971
Recommend some brands/models then
>>
>>54724219
tell me your approximate budget, what state you live in, what kind of music you listen to, and the size of your room
>>
>>547186
hi every1 im new!!!!!!! holds up spork my name is katy but u can call me t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m!!!!!!!! lol…as u can see im very random!!!! thats why i came here, 2 meet random ppl like me _… im 13 years old (im mature 4 my age tho!!) i like 2 watch invader zim w/ my girlfreind (im bi if u dont like it deal w/it) its our favorite tv show!!! bcuz its SOOOO random!!!! shes random 2 of course but i want 2 meet more random ppl =) like they say the more the merrier!!!! lol…neways i hope 2 make alot of freinds here so give me lots of commentses!!!!
DOOOOOMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <--- me bein random again _^ hehe…toodles!!!!!

love and waffles,

t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.