[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/g/ is now a good time to get a pebble? Are they truly open source?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: pble.png (457 KB, 1265x701) Image search: [Google]
pble.png
457 KB, 1265x701
/g/ is now a good time to get a pebble? Are they truly open source? Are they any good?
>>
>>54717392
I have one. It was really nice while it lasted, but now there's lines across the screen
>>
>>54717392
https://www.pebble.com/

Wait a little bit
>>
It's never a good time to get a smart watch
>>
The original Pebble is a little bit outdated by now but still perfectly usable if all you need are media controls and notifications on your wrist. Still, even the original destroys both Android Wear and Apple Watch in convenience and battery life.

But yeah, they're announcing something in a few hours, wait a bit to see what's that about.
>>
>>54717392
Got one a week ago, it rules hard. Not open source though.
>>
The original pebble is kind of outdated, the Pebble Time non-steel versions are going for less than $100 now

they're announcing some new product today at 10am
>>
>>54717436
screen tearing is common on the original pebble and pebble steel. if you write them about it they'll typically replace it even if the warranty is expired
>>
>>54717615
Doesn't look like a new product though, they mention "you're in for a treat" and the countdown is showing the shapes of current models. Maybe some new software update that hooks with Android Wear? That would be bananas.
>>
>>54717622
Really? Because my warranty expired February last year iirc.
>>
>>54717862
yeah, my brother has a pebble steel and they replaced it after the warranty expired, he just sent them an email with an image of the screen tearing. he didn't ask for an out of warranty extension, they just offered to replace the device.
>>
>>54717447
a pun?
>>
>>54717874
I bought a used pebble steel which got screen tearing after 6months. Wrote to pebble, told them it was a gift and had no idea ifnit was still in warranty. They just asked for pics and sent me a new one.
>>
>>54717392
>Just bought a Time Round a few weeks ago
>Hear that they're announcing something
Dammit.
>>
File: bezel.png (208 KB, 680x260) Image search: [Google]
bezel.png
208 KB, 680x260
>>54719198
They have a kickstarter. Basically at preorder prices:
>Get an updated version of OG pebble with black and white screen, heart rate monitor: $99, ships september
>get an updated version of the pebble time steel with larger screen: $169, ships november
>clip-on fitness tracker with 3G and a headphone jack that can stream spotify, track routes with GPS, mic for voice commands, "help I'm being raped" SOS button: $69
>hacker version of same minus a couple features plus SDK: Also $69
>3G service is not included for the fitness tracker but they have wifi too

The Pebble Time 2 looks awesome, even though I kind of don't want to order a new one when my current one works the heart rate tracker is nice and the bezel on the new one is a lot smaller... the one on the original Pebble Time steel is fucking huge.
>>
>>54719523
They look pretty nice. I like how thin and not-smartwatch-looking my Time Round is though.
I'm interested in the hacker version of the little puck though... I might put it on my cat.
>>
>>54719523
I need one with bluetooth and music playback so I can ditch my phone when I exercise.
>>
>>54719594
Having to charge every day or two would drive me nuts. The profile of the round is good but I hate charging shit daily. Pebble Time usually gets 5-6 days battery for me (but I get tons of notifications).
>>
>>54719657
That's what the Pebble fitness clip thing is for. Headphone jack and 4GB of storage.
>>
>>54719693
>headphone jack
I'm not wearing wired earphones attached to my wrist when I run, that's uncomfortable as fuck. Not so bad when lifting but then I might as well use my phone with Bluetooth earbuds.
>>
File: pebble-cor.png (864 KB, 680x817) Image search: [Google]
pebble-cor.png
864 KB, 680x817
>>54719762
The fitness clip is not a watch, numbnuts.
>>
>>54719674
It's really not that bad. I take it off when I go to shower, and that's when I pop it on the charger.
>>
>>54719774
That doesn't look so bad I guess. Would still rather not have the wire flopping around though.
>>
>>54719890
You can connect Bluetooth headphones to it, too.
>>
>>54720062
Sold
>>
>>54719674
I use a watchface that wakes up on Demand.

With airplaine mode, while turning on BT once a day to sync,o background apps, my round lasts 6-7 days!
>>
>>54720551
That's nice for a watch with a changeable face but for me getting email, call, app alerts is a major part of the smartwatch. Once a day removes the real time bit for me a lot.
>>
>>54720564
Youre right, it really depends. I once got 200+ emails/call/msg notifications a day and my batt drained. From then on I started being selective on which apps can send notification to my watch.

I pretty much only have it enabled for Calendar, Calls and text from certain people. Makes the round last longer IMO. But its still the shittiest battery in their line and no contesting the Time Steel.
>>
>>54719523
Shit that is really cool. I was certain I'd have to upgrade to a galaxy gear to get those features.
>>
Got the Pebble 2 and the Core thingy. I hate to take my smartphone for runs but would love to GPS track it.

I decided against the Time 2 because it's my first smartwatch and I really don't see the benefits in the color display for nearly 80% more money. But as it seems most "early birds" want the Time2 as that is where the money goes.

Did I do the right thing /consumerelectronics/?
>>
>>54722024
The Pebble has a plastic body, and the color display provides some nicer separation from content. It also has better battery life.

The core seems cool but I passed on it. Not that interesting for me.
>>
>>54722024
The only things that I use the colour display for is UI design, which isn't needed. If you don't care about battery or design, then yeah the regular one is perfect. Core thingy seems to be designed for exactly what you want, so that's good.
>>
>>54719523
Eric Migicovsky must be thanking dearly all Pebble Time 1 beta testers. Huge size with tiny screen and larger than life bezels, smaller batery life, accessory straps... a prototype in every way and sense. Time 2 is what it always should have been. Pebble Round? That aberration must disappear from the recorded history.
>>
>>54723010
I like my Round. It works well and actually looks like a watch.
>>
>>54723010
Well, it worked, I bought the Time 2. Even better, the time 2 was substantially cheaper than the original Time. Argh. Probably because the Apple Watch got so cheap at stores with gift cards Pebble really started feeling the heat.

I'll probably give my Original PTS to my brother...
>>
What smartwatch to get if I just want to control my phones musicplayer (hikiplayer) from my wrist ?
>>
I wore my OG swimming in a lake and the band broke, having my watch sink to the bottom of the lake... Feels bad man, I forget about it on most days.

Original pebble steel is all I'd get. Only one that looks great and is functional
>>
>>54719523

I'm so glad I returned my pebble time a few days ago
>>
>>54717392

just backed it, missed out on the $169 pebble time 2 though, just went with the regular $170+$10 shipping one. I guess $10 off is something.
>>
>>54724894
The cheapest original b/w pebble already does this and is still supported (except for the Health app)
>>
>adding useless heart rate sensor to justify maintaining higher price point
>>
>>54722024
Hope you have a phone with BT LE.
>>
File: bzbwviaerpcd6uprek1o.jpg (65 KB, 800x520) Image search: [Google]
bzbwviaerpcd6uprek1o.jpg
65 KB, 800x520
Time 1 scream was insulting.
>>
>>54728264

wow it looks so much nicer I'm gonna get one
also it has corning glass now so the screen will be much more scratch resistant
>>
>>54717392
Pebbles might be to small, jut get a rock.

If you get a lot of pebbles, you'll have gravel.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.