[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>2016 >using Java or other Oracle IP >fucking ever
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: larry-ellison.jpg (80 KB, 1040x667) Image search: [Google]
larry-ellison.jpg
80 KB, 1040x667
>2016
>using Java or other Oracle IP
>fucking ever

Look at this man, Larry Ellison. He doesn't think he's better than you - he knows he's better than you. You're infringing on his divine rights, and you owe him copyright royalties. No ifs, and or buts about APIs - you've always owed him copyright royalties.

But really, you should've seen Oracle's copyright harvest coming since the moment they bought Sun.
>>
File: CONWAYS_LAW.png (398 KB, 980x955) Image search: [Google]
CONWAYS_LAW.png
398 KB, 980x955
>>
>>54716496
Google copied Oracle code, you jackass.
>>
What parts of Java do Oracle own? Can you write/run Java apps using free alternatives?
>>
google essentially made another Microsoft-Java with android

hopefully they win so Google has to drop Java
java needs to end
>>
>>54717217
What's the alternative? LLVM?
>>
>>54717250
Well apple made their own for iOS and it worked fine, native fast apps
>>
>>54717144
everything. Java is not a standard, it is a trademark.
on the contrary C# and CLR are standard, Microsft just gave them away to Ecma.
>>
>>54717144

there is gcj but you're better off using something else.
>>
>>54717217
I hate Google for embracing Java. They just wanted to exploit its ecosystem and tools for free without compromising hatred against anything Microsoft's
>>
>>54717217
doubt they will swiyching on something else they already stated that they will swiych on openJDK
>>
>>54716496
WHo's that ugly mofo and where the fuck are his eyebrows?
>>
>>54717300
Do you realize ECMA are lobbied by Microsoft for a very long time now. It's pretty much Microsoft proxy.
See docx vs openoffice.
>>
>>54716496
One
rich
asshole
called
larry
ellison
>>
>>54717257
>iOS and it worked fine
Yeah, on a single piece hardware without any large variant.
Android works not only on ARM but also x86.

Anyway, you can also write native apps on Android.
It's just that not all apps are games on Android.
Who cares native when you only making simple apps.
>>
>tfw forced to run Oracle's Java Script on all our web browsers
>>
>>54719208
I've been hearing that for over a decade. It's meaningless FUD. Javascript has been under Ecma umbrella for years, why is noone bitching about that?
>>
>>54717217
>hopefully they win so Google has to drop Java
Are you fucking retarded? The consequences will impact far more than just Google. They will negatively impact all of the IT industry.
>>
>>54716496
i'll always hate google for bringing back java.
>>
>>54720316
>FUD
Yeah and OpenJDK are GPLv2 with classpath exception, so why does it matter with Oracle IP.

You can't be sued just by using Java, just like C#.
But, it won't be the same if you start messing with Java (or .NET) internals, adding your own language extensions, but still markets it as Java (or .NET).

Also, there's no guarantee you'll be second class citizen on your selected platform.
And this problem are more apparent on .NET when Microsoft release new features or bug fix, as there's a possibilities to prioritize Windows first.
>>
>>54720937
And Google needs their shit kicked in for a change
>>
>>54721164
THIS IS NOT ABOUT FUCKING GOOGLE, YOU FUCKTARD, THIS IS ABOUT THE WHOLE FUCKING INDUSTRY WHICH INCLUDES ORACLE, GOOGLE, EVERY TECH COMPANY EVER AND EVERY FUCKING CONSUMER THAT EVER LAID HIS HAND ON SOMETHING RELATED TO TECHNOLOGY, INCLUDING YOU AND ME.
>>
Since the great Unix wars, non-MS based IT companies learned to never cut each others' throats again but collaborate against the common "evil" MS.
So, I really don't think this Google-Oracle fight is real, it's probably an elaborate scheme to help balance Oracle books without paying taxes and losing shareholder value, "you help me today, I'll help you tomorrow" sort of deal. None of them can afford a real fight.
>>
>>54722100
> I really don't think this Google-Oracle fight is real
It is fucking real. If Oracle wins APIs can legally be copyrighted. If APIs are copyrighted, you can't make drop-in libs anymore. This is terrible.
>>
>>54722202
no, they'll just settle, as I said, on some predetermined amount. it's all about money.
>>
>>54722202
Compatibility of everything will break because nobody will use API's for fear of legal action. There really are no companies more perversely self oriented and evil than Oracle.

Retarded intellectual property laws are literally the reason we can't have nice things.
>>
>>54722202
That's not what this is about
The court already stated that APIs are copyrightable, this is a matter of whether using the API counts as fair use.
>>
>>54721193
t. Pajeet
>>
One
Rich
Asshole
Called
Larry Ellison

Nobody likes Oracle except Oracle.

>>54724205
Technically correct.
>>
>>54716762

Google didn't copy Oracle's code. Android uses its own Java implementation, and was using it before Java transferred ownership to Oracle. Oracle is claiming Google can't use Java in Android because they own the API. Meanwhile, OpenJDK WHICH IS ALSO USING THE JAVA API is perfectly fine to use it... for now.
>>
>>54724766
I read the decision. What you're saying is correct but there was also some copied source code.
>>
>>54725688

>there was also some copied source code
Goddammit Google. You're going to get the only good mobile OS killed because of your stupidity.

What am I supposed to switch to, Ubuntu Mobile? I can't use iOS, and I certainly don't want to use Windows Mobile...
>>
>>54716496
Oracle is dying, how he ever came to control the relational database market is a fluke of worse-is-better, Oracles stock is dropping, they will slide into oblivion soon
>>
>>54726701

I'm creating something NetBSD based. Stay tuned.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.