[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Going to be building totally new PC to replace ancient Core2
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3
File: Intel-X99-Chipset-Logo.png (116 KB, 2250x3000) Image search: [Google]
Intel-X99-Chipset-Logo.png
116 KB, 2250x3000
>Going to be building totally new PC to replace ancient Core2 Extreme system
>Really want to go with X99, either Haswell-E or Broadwell-E, depending on how much of an improvement Broadwell-E actually is.
>6+ Cores, extra PCIE lanes, shit ton of USB ports all sounds great
>I don't do any anything that actually requires this sort of system (don't 3D model, render movies, stream, or use SLI/Crossfire)

Is the hope that DX12/Vulkan will more properly utilize >4 cores enough to go with X99? Money isn't really an issue. Help me silence my inner pragmatist.
>>
>>>/v/
>>
File: 1447476159557.jpg (7 KB, 210x208) Image search: [Google]
1447476159557.jpg
7 KB, 210x208
>>54715966
>Implying anyone on /v/ knows jackshit about enthusiast PC hardware.
>>
you sound like you don't need an extreme platform, stick to 4 core 8 thread i7s and a Z platform, you'll save money and with good overclock it'll perform better in most games

if you REALLY just want to spend money, buy a pre binned i7 at silicon lottery for guaranteed high overclock
>>
File: 1456867873042.jpg (100 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1456867873042.jpg
100 KB, 633x758
>>54715959
>I don't do any anything that actually requires this sort of system (don't 3D model, render movies, stream, or use SLI/Crossfire)
Congrats, you just admitted that you're a retard. I'd try to understand your way of thinking but it seems like a waste of time.
>>
If you got the money go for it BUT if your not bothering to get a high end GPU its not worth it in the end that's why this X99 is enthusiast grade

Yes its a good idea if you plan to go cannonlake and so forth but you do need something that can use all the cores.
>>
>>54716187
Let's be specific here, am I retarded because I'm considering going X99 without a real reason, or am I simply retarded for not engaging in one of the aforementioned activities

>>54716208
Planning on either GTX1080 or whatever AMD has to offer.
>>
>>54716482
unless you're doing 3-4 way CF/SLI or have some other use for the system that would benefit from the extra cores, PCIe lanes, and memory bandwidth, X99 isn't worth it.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.