[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the most energy efficient CPUs? Is pic related?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: 1.jpg (32 KB, 556x315) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
32 KB, 556x315
What are the most energy efficient CPUs?
Is pic related?
>>
>>54715097
Depends on what you want them to do. It might be Intel, or might be AVR or something like that... depends on awake time current / sleep time current ratio and what is to be done during the wake time. Get it?
>>
>>54715097
For x86 and support for modern instruction sets, embedded VIA CPUs are probably the most energy efficient.

Not sure about other architectures.
>>
>>54715160
Wouldn't atom be more efficient?
>>
Well, lets try hooking up 2 1TB SDD to an ARM Soc using power management with SATA DMA enabled and another 2 1TB SDD to a Micropchip Pic via GPIO and transfer that data across from SDD device to SDD device on each of the systems. Measure the difference in power consumption for completion of the transfer. Tell me which one wins.
>>
I did my tests:

Underclocked FX 4130 two cores dissabled, underclocked to hell (333 mhz)

And any good yield skylake (not a pentium, something expensive that is expensive just because its yields are low) underclocked to pentium 4 levels
>>
>>54715230
Why would I need terabyte SSDs when I'm barely going to exceed 8 megabytes?
>>
>>54715282
You may have answered your own question... but somehow I still wonder about that.
>>
>>54715097
Probably not, there's more modern CPUs that provide vastly greater computing power whilst requiring less power.
I think some of the ATOM cpus are rated for less than a watt.
I mean chances are there's something that's more efficient than that but it'll be in some extremely difficult to obtain form and probably a shite to actually use.
>>
probably ARM on 14nm or the Xeon D
>>
>>54715097
>What are the most energy efficient CPUs?
Efficient measured how?
>>
>>54716139
In milliwatts
>>
>>54716165
>In milliwatts
Then no CPU will outperform a rock.
>>
>>54715181
Performance per watt wise, Atom is more power efficient. But for in the real world, some the embedded VIA CPUs will consume less power overall because of their insanely low idle power consumption (we're as little as 0.1 watts for the Eden ULV 500).
>>
>>54716250
You mean?
Mentioned CPUs in the thread seem too powerful for me, I think I wouldn't need something over 10 MHz.
>>
>>54716525
>wouldn't need something over 10MHz
For what?

I've worked with CPUs in that order on PICs and they're quite capable if you program them efficiently.

Other than that I look at my pebble time steel, its got a 100MHz cortex M4 and is pretty quick, driving 60fps display with full speed animations and basic 3D gaems with perfect consistency. Not bad at all.
>>
>>54715097
New ones maybe, old Z80s could probably take anywhere from 1 to 5 watts. Pretty much jack shit, but obviously not very efficient.
>>
>>54716525
How about you just tell us your application shitlord?
>>
>>54716847
I need to turn a servo motor attached to my dildo off when I move my ass away from it. Currently it's hooked up to a basic light sensor, I'd like it to run on batteries so I need it to be low power. Obviously nearly anything will work but I'm trying to have a little fun with this as a project. So I wanted to know some obscure son's I can use. I'm currently looking at a via choose. That seems cheapest/most effective.
>>
>>54716891
microcontroller
>>
>>54716891
SOC's not son's . Autocorrect, sorry. And I'd like to use a chipset, not a microcontroller. That feels like cheating. I may program it to play some music/some other trivial thing as well. So ideally it'd have a large surplus of inputs.
>>
>>54715097
Low performance ARM
>>
>>54715097
NASA probably bought all
>>
>>54716891
Right. ATtiny 102. Up to 1.5mA operating current, down to .15 uA standby. 1 pin for servo PWM, one pin for the light sensor, done.

http://www.mouser.com/pdfdocs/Atmel-42505-8-bit-AVR-Microcontroller-ATtiny102-ATtiny104_Datasheet1.pdf

Now fuck off.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.