[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking for advice from full-time software engineers. I just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_20160521_154448024_HDR.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160521_154448024_HDR.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1456
Looking for advice from full-time software engineers.

I just graduated with a degree in computer science and was immediately absorbed by a United States defense contractor. The interview process was extremely low-key and relaxed, but uninformative. They asked me some basic object-oriented questions, then shuttled me around the facility without revealing where I'd be working or what kind of work I'd be doing.

I'm a little intimidated. I earned good grades at university, but my course load was light and my curriculum was not rigorous. I mostly worked non-developer jobs to pay rent while in school, and more recently as a web developer for the government, but otherwise I haven't had time to teach myself anything I actually wanted to know. I just went through the motions, did my homework, crammed for tests and crawled out an idiot posing as an educated person. I'm going to spend the remainder of my summer brushing up on C++/Java, but other than that I'm not sure how to prepare myself for a full-time software engineering position. Any advice at all is appreciated!
>>
Secretly outsource all your work to some underpaid Indian and pass it off as your own
>>
>>54714265
move to philly and start a noise band
>>
>>54714265
smoke meth. you will like it.
>>
>>54714307

As long as OP likes being in Federal prison
>>
* any advice at all related to entry-level software engineering is appreciated. I don't like meth or noise rock.
>>
Learn design patterns and work on a small but significant project that you can describe to interviewers. This presumes that you are currently looking for work. Otherwise, if you about to start your job, maybe you could learn mySQL. I am about to start a software engineering internship, and my boss said SQL technologies are important for most programming jobs.
>>
>>54714541
This generally sums up all the advice I have heard from more experienced software engineers. But take what I say with a grain of salt, as I am about to start my first position in this field. Oh, and of course make sure you have a basic understanding of data structures and algorithms.
>>
>don't have an engineering degree
>get an """engineering""" position
Aren't there laws against that? It's kinda sad how often it happens in software engineering.
>>
>>54715051
how about audio engineers
etc
>>
https://workplace.stackexchange.com/questions/6223/im-a-new-developer-in-a-new-position-and-im-overwhelmed-by-the-position-how-d
>>
File: image.jpg (129 KB, 400x328) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
129 KB, 400x328
>>54714337
The fuck kind of advice is this?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.