[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Raspberry pi3 for media and emulators ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: images (1).jpg (7 KB, 279x181) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
7 KB, 279x181
How does /g/ feel about the raspberry pi3 for movies and retro emulators ?

I was thinking of getting one for my living room , just to play old SNES games and watch a few movies there. Good idea ?

How does ./g. Feel about the raspberry pi
>>
Can't install windows 10 on it. Therefore it's bad
>>
>>54714082
Get an orange pi plus 2, you won't regret the extra ram
>>
>>54714082
>How does ./g. Feel about the raspberry pi
best device to shove it up your feminist vagina

gfto
>>
>>54714082

I did this when the Pi 2 came out. Look at openelec for your movies solution. It plugs into your TV via HDMI and works great! Just don't expect that little CPU to produce 4K streaming video. It won't.
>>
>>54714499
>gfto

Go fuck the octopus?
>>
bought pi3 with a 2.8 tft add on monitor, i was expecting it would manage a 2 monitor setup HDMI+TFT but it doesnt .Im disappointed
>>
>>54714082
retropie can do this, and Kodi is in it's repo foor installation as well. I got it running on my Pi2.
>>
>>54715421

Yep, this is the way to do it.
Great interface, and you can emulate basically anything.
>>
>>54715431
yeah it works pretty well, and the Kodi interface is even set up to work with the controller now!
>>
OP it's great. I use it for Retropie, a Minecraft server, and miscellaneous music playing. Does all of them perfectly. Haven't done video much but I imagine if it's through a dedicated front end it would do fine.
>>
>>54714136
except that you can
>>
>need a key to decode MPEG2 in hardware
Don't even try to get a Raspberry Pi. Just get something faster like Minnowboard Max or something like that. I currently use one.
>>
>>54716573
>Minnowboard Max
>$99
No wtf. BeagleBoard is cheaper
>>
>>54714082
It's SJW bullshit.

No go back to tumblr
>>
>>54717274
How so?
>>
>>54714136
>Ruining a perfectly good machine with Windows 10.
>>
>>54714499
Raspberry Pi Zero might be more suitable variant for that, you can set set it up with a camera too.
>>
>>54714499
>>54717274
>hue hue hue
>I has can't go five minutes without thinking feminists/sjws!
>I ams talks about they at every opportunity!

>>54717309
>sjw = stuff I don't like WAHHHH!
>>
>>54714082
kinda okay. i have RPI2, only way to play movies properly is videocore-enabled omxplayer that doesn't support everything (especially subtitles with non-english fonts). Also, my rpi2 onboard sound-thingie is terrible, sometimes it lags, sometimes it's just awful audio quality. CPU is not powerful enough to handle software x11 rendering and couple of Firefox tabs at once. Hell, even one tab with rich content (like html5 gmail) makes it so laggy it's almost unusable.

you shouldn't have too much problem with emulators though.
>>
>>54714473
>Allwinner
enjoy your lack of support

>>54714082
RetroPie.

>>54714588
>openelec
libreelec. openelec is dead.

>>54716573
yeah, the 3 bucks really going to make a difference.
>>
>>54714136
why would you want to?
>>
File: IMG_1095.jpg (46 KB, 480x474) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1095.jpg
46 KB, 480x474
>>54717274
>>
>>54714082
Just get a $50 Android TV box. Some of them come with 4 USB ports and sheet you can use for controllers/mouse/kb etc. and you can use any media player/emulator from the Play store.
>>
>>54716573
Raspberry Pi 3 can play 480p h.265 in software though.
>>
>>54716573
thats more for DVD playback.
>>
>>54722273
You don't even need it though. Point VLC or SMPlayer to a DVD folder and it will play it just fine. MPEG2 playback is not demanding at all.
>>
>>54722321
no but it's nopt a free license is they reason why. some may want to hook a DVD drive to their Pi (like i do for a project im doing) and that license is necessary. but i play 1080p blu ray rips on it with no effort).
>>
>>54722379
I think there is some disconnect here. The paid code for MPEG2 enables hardware accelerated decode. You don't need hardware accelerated decode because you can easily do it in software.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.