[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, after becoming one of the latest victims of the "forced"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4
So, after becoming one of the latest victims of the "forced" upgrades from Win7 to Win10 that bricked my PC I've decided I've had enough with Microfail and I'm looking for an alternative OS.

I'm also not huge fan of Mac OS X ever since Mavericks and I bought my new PC very recently so it wouldn't make sense to get a new Apple computer.

I'm looking for any Windows alternative such as Linux and BSD but I'm open to any suggestion. What does /g/ recommend? My one limitation is that I use Autodesk and Adobe software daily for my work and I'm not sure how those could be used in a non-Windows environment and how well they would perform (I used VMWare briefly when I had a Mac and the performance wasn't the best).

Any suggestions?
>>
Gentoo
>>
File: 1459454385356.jpg (48 KB, 466x601) Image search: [Google]
1459454385356.jpg
48 KB, 466x601
>>54712500
W10 Upgrade is basically a computer literacy test.

If you're too dumb, stupid, or technology illiterate to go into Windows Update and turn off Automatic Updates, or too stupid to google a simple tool to block the upgrade, you are exactly the type of retard who can't be trusted to take care of a computer, and MS is doing you a favor by taking over your PC and forcing you to install patches and security updates that you would otherwise click "no" to for years while installing 200 malware greeting card toolbar cancers onto your PC.

Prove me wrong.

PROTIP: You can't.
>>
File: 1456501670544.png (45 KB, 600x700) Image search: [Google]
1456501670544.png
45 KB, 600x700
>>54712621
>W10 Upgrade is basically a computer literacy test.
Yes, everything else no. Leave MicroShit You're been than that. Hook up to ethernet, fire up a Debian install. You will be fine.
>>
>>54712775
>been
better*
>>
>>54712621
Cool sperg-out bro, but I didn't read the news about the switch from "recommended" to "important update", otherwise I would have turned the Automatic Updates off.

So Gentoo and Debian have been mentioned, what are the merits of either? Does graphics-heavy software run well on programs like Wine?
>>
>>54712500
>So, after becoming one of the latest victims of the "forced" upgrades from Win7 to Win10 that bricked my PC
>bricked my PC
>bricked

>>>/out/ b8fag
>>
>>54712859
>Does graphics-heavy software run well on programs like Wine?

No. If you want to keep gaming you have to stick to Windows or get a console. I'm sorry but no other options are viable at the current time.
>>
>>54712893
It actually did just that. I let the Win10 install finish and when the EULA showed up I pressed 'decline' which would then supposedly reinstall Win7. only to boot up with a blue screen. I had to re-install Windows 7 from the recovery partition.
>>
>>54712936
It's more for CAD, BIM and image-editing software like Ps and Ai.
>>
>>54712936
Yep
>>
>>54712500
Go to bestbuy and get geeksquad to put a fresh install of Windows 10 on you hdd. If this happened to you in the first place, you obviously need someone to hold your hand.

Linux would just make you confused and frustrated
>>
>>54712947
then your computer was not bricked.

bricked means turned into a paperweight (aka a "brick"). no signs of life. no boot screen. completely unrecoverable. zero input or output.

A blue screen just means a mangled OS partition. Your computer itself (hardware, firmware, BIOS) is unharmed, and indeed cannot be harmed by software mishaps on the user level.
>>
>>54713105
Alright, I mis-used the term 'bricked' my bad.

Anyone used this? Seems interesting.

http://cadgroup.com.au/cg/archives/3554
>>
>>54712500
Call Muicrosoft support, say the upgrade they made you do broke your computer, try to get a new one ontop of your new Gentoo machine
>>
>>54713291
I'm actually gonna try this tomorrow. Those fuckers made me lose 3 work days.
>>
>>54712936
>>54712965
There's also the option of virtualizing a Windows box and passing GPUs to it.
>>
>>54713346
Is the performance good with such a set-up?
>>
>>54712500
I would recommend getting some version of Ubuntu.

Perhaps give PC-BSD a try.

Gentoo, in my opinion, is a huge pain in the ass. (especially if you're not already familiar with the ins and outs of Linux)
>>
>translation

i tried to fuck with the upgrade process fucked my PC up beyond all belief and now im blaming Microsoft for my own stupidity and wish to move to linux a significantly harder to maintain operating system and then get mad when i fuck that up as well cause fuck thinking
>>
>>54712621
what if i intentionally upgraded to windows 10 back in the insider preview days and never looked back?
>>
>>54713385
stallman-tier
>>
>>54713363
It depends on how much you are willing to spend on hardware.
Just look at this:
http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/4U/7048/SYS-7048GR-TR.cfm
>2 TB max RAM, yes, terabytes
>>
>>54713367
I had a look at some articles comparing PC-BSD and FreeBSD performance to Linux distros and they seemed to keep up well although most of the tests weren't really relevant to my line of work.

>>54713377
Declining the EULA is legitimate you arse, if you don't you pretty much forfeit the right to any potential future claims against Microsoft. Besides, if they could actually make things properly it would have done what it said when I clicked decline and actually re-installed Win7 but it didn't so they fucking suck.

>>54713385
Why do you like it?
>>
>>54713430
>declined the EULA

you already accepted it in windows 7 and already waived those rights its still your fault YOU bricked YOUR PC dont you dare blame this on other people you ass
>>
>>54712500

Every single one of these daily threads is a lie. Why do people keep responding to bait threads? I use linux, and think win 10 sux but these threads are embarrassing. If windows 10 installed you literally clicked yes at somepoint. Five seconds of google and removing some updates (if you were stupid enough to install them in the first place) will fix all the windows 10 bs. I just did a fresh install of 7 on a pc a few days ago, installed hundreds of updates and I have never NEVER been prompted to upgrade.
Basically what this guy said.
>>54712621
>>
>>54713429
This is fucking beautiful.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-24_13-26-33.png (207 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-24_13-26-33.png
207 KB, 1366x768
>>54712500
Linux as a host
Windows in a cuckVM
>>54712621
Shut up white loli
>>
>>54713470
That's a completely different EULA, not only is it for a different product it has different terms in it as well. Idiot.
>>54713479
I 100% did not click yes at any point. All I did was leave the WU setting on automatic. Before MS started distributing Win10 as an update the average user didn't really have many reasons to turn off automatic updates.
>>
>>54713550
if you where this worried about it why did you leave auto updates enabled?
>>
>>54713573
Because I didn't know MS had changed the Win10 update status to "important".
>>
Linux Mint Debian edition
>>
>>54713487
How does the performance on that compare to actually using the software on Windows? Last time I tried using Revit on a Mac with VMware was around 4 years ago and it was almost unusable.
>>
>>54713666
1. Use an extremely stripped down version of windows, disable file indexing
2. Better hardware. GPU passthrough is an option if you are doing heavy tasks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-hOr44oBAI

I only use word to check how WPS office is compatible.
>>
>>54713726
>GPU passthrough
Thanks a lot for the advice, I'm reading up on the above as well. What Linux distro would you recommend for this?
>>
>>54713757
any
>>
>>54713550

Liar, it will download win 10 and put that faggot icon in the taskbar it WILL NOT install on its own. My girlfriend who is mildly computer literate has has the upgrade to windows 10 nagware on her comp for MONTHS now and it has at no point attempted to install windows 10. You are either a liar or completly computer illiterate.
>>
>>54713757
Also, GPU passthrough is a 400 level project so you might have to do a lot of reading
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16dbAUrtMX4
>>
>>54713845
Yup, it does seem complicated but I'm willing to do that. I've never been a fan of Windows anyway.
>>54713791
Most user-friendly for someone who is totally new to Linux?

>>54713798
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=forced+windows+10+upgrade
>>
>>54712621
i want smug anime girls to get cancer
>>
>>54713952
I wouldn't generally recommend this but if you are doing a lot of reading + applying, Arch is actually the best distro to try. Arch and Gentoo has absolutely the best wiki that you can rely on like the bible.

So try Antergos (Arch with a GUI installer). Because Arch is the best DIY distro other than Gentoo.

Also I hope you understand you probably have to upgrade to enjoy the full potential of GPU passthrough
>>
>>54714042
Thanks a lot for the suggestions.
What sort of equipment would suffice for a GPU passthrough? I'm currently reading about doing it with a single GPU, but it's not clear if it's actually possible or if it needs a dual GPU set-up.

For what it's worth these are my stats:
Core i7 6820HQ (2.70GHz)
16GB DDR4 RAM - 2133MHz
Nvidia Quadro M1000M
>>
>>54713952

Did you read any of the fucking articles in the results? None of them said it will updated windows on its own. From the first article.
"Those who reserved the upgrade way back, but never received it, get it first. It will be BITS that will locate these PCs, so there will be no windows update presented. Maybe that is why you have seen nothing to date from WU. The files will just arrive and a reboot will install it."

Note the keywords, thise who reserved their win 10 upgrade but have not installed it.
>>
>>54714187
I'm on traffic right now but look for cuda or stream cores in your gpu and post 2015 skylake are much preferable
>>
>>54712621
Must keep illya alive
>>
>>54713985
>>54713985
Her father shot her in the forehead in front her mother if that makes you feel any better
>>
>>54714323
>post 2015 skylake
>cuda
Yup, Quadro M1000M is a post-2015 skylake card and cuda-enabled. Nvidia page on CUDA gives it a "compute capability" score of 5.0, with the top score in the Quadro range being 5.2 and the top score out of all their Cuda-enabled GPUs being 6.1 so I assume I'm good?
>>
>>54713105

You can fuck up a bios though.
>>
>>54713429
>>>54713363
>It depends on how much you are willing to spend on hardware.

This is true for literally all PC gaming.
>>
>>54712500
A couple of people told me about this forced upgrade at work today... I was like "what the fuck?!!" They FORCED you as in RAPED you to upgrade? I can't believe the shit people will take these days. That is so beyond fucked up, I have no more words for it. Moo Moo
>>
>>54714449
I'd guess so
>>
>>54712621
holy shit
>>
I'll just leaave this here https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/linux/
>>
>>54713952
if you can set up arch go arch
if you want ubuntu go xubuntu https://rbt.asia/g/thread/S54375381#p54376573
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.