[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you aren't a Linux user, what does Linux need to have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 152
Thread images: 18
File: tux_the_penguin_linux-555px.png (35 KB, 555x710) Image search: [Google]
tux_the_penguin_linux-555px.png
35 KB, 555x710
If you aren't a Linux user, what does Linux need to have in order to convince you to become one?
>>
>inb4 go back to /v/
It's games. If a few more AAA devs started supporting Linux, I'd probably switch.
>>
Just work out of the box
>>
I use Debian.

Proprietary things—games, software, and drivers—are keeping people from switching. If given the choice, most people would choose Windows over Linux without so much as a second thought. Most don't consider Linux a viable option.

Also missing is the support of manufacturers. Very few computers come with Linux installed at the time of purchase; it's a niche market. The average consumer wants something they know how to use, and they definitely don't know how to navigate the command line, the vast number of distributions available, the desktop environments, replacements for proprietary software like Microsoft Word, and issues with drivers and hardware support. They don't want to deal with it.

I'm going to say it: Linux users will always be a minority. People who do not work in technology-related fields have no reason to use it.
>>
File: steamos_share.jpg (61 KB, 290x290) Image search: [Google]
steamos_share.jpg
61 KB, 290x290
>>54712416
Gaben's got your back.
>>
>>54712420
you must have never used debian, ubuntu, fedora, opensuse, mint, manjaro, and the countless other distros that work out of the box
>>
>>54712391
It needs to work first
I spend my day maintaining windows servers
I don't want to get home just to debug why Ubuntu won't recognize my motherboards sound card and instead wants to force audio out my 980s HDMI port.
Honestly I spent 2 hours trying to debug doing everything everyone suggested online to no avail.
I went back to windows and have never changed back.
>>
>>54712509
Keep telling yourself that. Maybe it will make it true one of these days.
>>
>>54712532
WOTB = it works out of the box
>>
100% LibreOffice compatibility
Better Wine support - can't run work programs on Linux atm

That's pretty much it
>>
File: PS4_lg.jpg (63 KB, 1024x785) Image search: [Google]
PS4_lg.jpg
63 KB, 1024x785
>>54712416
>>
>>54712532
i don't have to tell myself that. used both ubuntu and opensuse on quite a few computers and none of them didnt work out of the box.

keep telling yourself that they dont work ;)
>>
>>54712391
Linux confuses me and Windows is just not customisable enough.

I wish there was something in between them that was a modicum of confusing and customisability and more applications that worked properly on Linux.
>>
Software
Drivers
An easy way to install various programs to various locations
>>
I think MS Office support, you can't rely on LO to get formatting right, plus equatios get rendered as images (I know only the retards use Word instead of Latex for math), also the vydia cancer is something manchildren can't live without.
At this point Ubuntu 16.04+Win8.1 in a VM serves me greatly. I have the best of both worlds, and since i'm into Insurgency and Wargame RD i don't use Windows much more.
>>
File: motor_proteins.webm (2 MB, 638x468) Image search: [Google]
motor_proteins.webm
2 MB, 638x468
>>54712495
SteamOS is the biggest forgotten, lonely, undeveloped shit pile Linux has to offer. It's LITERALLY an African child:

>nobody cares about it
>it's underdeveloped
>it's named after what it is - a steaming pile of shit

Valve dropped the project past the back burner and into the bread drawer where it'll continue to become outdated and mold-ridden like the shit it is. Unless they're been doing major overhaul on it's proprietary driver work or steam integration and they have some cock throbbing release ready to surprise us with, it's not going anywhere. If I'm missing something about its dev cycle correct me
>>
>>54712495
I'm in the process of installing an old hard drive in my computer and installing Ubuntu on it so I can try Linux gaming, but I doubt I could do without Windows until like Battlefield and a few other games come to Linux.
>>
>>54712642
Microsoft will pretty much never make a desktop version of Office for Linux, but you can still use the web version.

https://products.office.com/en-us/office-online/documents-spreadsheets-presentations-office-online
>>
Linux should not disdain potential users by limiting itself to user unfriendly commands.

Linux want's the disenchanted Windows userbase right? How about not scaring them off with technical fuckery?
>>
Windows like consistency in performance, by which I mean that all distros should perform similarly in benchmarks.
More developer support. Yeah, Linux has a bunch of server grade applications that make it good for sysadmin/devops work, but let's be honest, it's not really ready for the average user to start using.
Higher ease of use- things need to just twerk when I expect them to. For example, I plugged my laptop into my TV to watch something on the big screen and the audio didn't automatically switch over to HDMI, I had to manually configure it to do so, and when I pulled the plug, it didn't automatically go back to the laptop soundcard. This is a no brainer, why the fuck would you not have this already implemented?
>>
>>54712626
I'll never understand why people go on /g/ just to post lies
>>
>>54712391
Programs and proper hardware support.
>>
>>54712391
>If you aren't a Linux user, what does Linux need to have in order to convince you to become one?
This is so much better than the "muh OS is best XD" threads that dominate /g/ without promoting any insightful discussion. Thanks OP.

For me it'd be:
>Better autoconfig.
Finding, installing, configuring & updating drivers specifically. Windows update has had this shit locked down since XP, plug in any device and it will find a driver for you, download and install it, and (usually) not require a restart.

>Compatibility with .exe and .dll files. Essentially having WINE built-in, included in core repos and developed/maintained by core devs. I work with ECE CAD software and there is no "it just werks" solution for Linux.

>They need to decide on one desktop, DE, window manager, package manager, etc. and stick with it.
Linux has very little consistency in design patterns and the way you interact with your OS changes hugely between distros and DEs. If I use an Enterprise variant and my buddy uses a Desktop variant, I should at least be able to use the same commands to download & update software, and interact with the desktop and menus in the same way.
>>
>>54712664
>making a console OS in 2016
Dunno what Valve was thinking. Should just fucking support GNU on desktops and stop with their fucking "we want to make a GNU-based console hur" bullshit.
>>
>>54712689
I know but i use Office 2013 in a VM, and since you can save the state of the VM it's great for picking up where you left.
>>
>>54712391
Nothing, even if Linux had everything that OS X / Windows already have I wouldn't switch.
>>
File: image.jpg (62 KB, 250x397) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62 KB, 250x397
>>
>>54712391
Native .exe support :^)
>>
If they made it easy to install dual boot. This is also windows fault too.
>>
>>54712727
>better autoconfig for drivers
Nearly everything works out of the box with any noob distro and installing "proprietary" drivers is running one fucking clicky-clicky GUI away.
>having wine built in
No. There are GNU versions of everything you have on Windows, use those. Wine is a last-ditch effort to run something and there are tons of easy ways to do it.
>little consistency
So you want every car, every house, every product sold ever to be consistent? No? THEN WHY THE GODDAMN SHITFUCK DO YOU WANT CONSISTENCY IN GNU?

Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, DUMB.
>>
>>54712710
Although you folks have tried to help me out I sometimes feel that I can't figure out what is fucking up my installation at all and the easiest way of fixing the problem is just to reinstall the whole OS and start again.

That might be because I went straight from Windows pleb to trying to install and configure shit from command line on a headless server with no background in any sort of computer science, though. Although I'm getting better now, I'm still afraid to install random shit on a server in case I can't figure out how to uninstall it.
>>
File: 767309-A43Xf_m2FJrz0_Or.jpg (5 KB, 256x193) Image search: [Google]
767309-A43Xf_m2FJrz0_Or.jpg
5 KB, 256x193
I was a Linux user, bought a new laptop for uni

>what does Linux need to have in order to convince you to become one?

Drivers for my wireless chipset, mint works perfectly but my connection keeps dropping after 2 or 3 minutes, trying to sort any issue out with Linux (drivers especially) has me >pic related
>>
File: fresh off my clipboard.png (18 KB, 576x385) Image search: [Google]
fresh off my clipboard.png
18 KB, 576x385
>>54712753
???
>>
>>54712776
> So you want every car, every house, every product sold ever to be consistent?

Uh... yes?
>>
>>54712793
That's the maker of your wireless chipset's fault, not GNU's. The Linux kernel can't have a stable driver for proprietary, ass-backwards chipsets unless they luck out trying to reverse-engineer them.

>>54712810
Bullshit, no you don't. You don't want everything to look exactly the same, you goddamn moron. CHOICE and PERSONAL PREFERENCE, do you know what that fucking is?
>>
>>54712806
Now open a Windows program
>>
File: 1329420389435.jpg (531 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1329420389435.jpg
531 KB, 1024x768
>>54712793
Brand and model of your wireless adapter?
>>
>>54712776
>Nearly everything works out of the box with any noob distro
I have never, NEVER had wifi or sound cards work on any linux distro "out of the box". Some worked after extensive downloading shitloads of third-party crap and running shell scripts from the internet. Most never did.

>There are GNU versions of everything you have on Windows, use those.
GNU Solidworks? GNU Altium? These programs won't even run in wine, much less native Linux. Their free software counterparts are completely worthless for industry.

>So you want every car, every house, every product sold ever to be consistent?
consistent enough that I can go into a car different from mine, and still be able to drive it. Or a house different from mine, and not have it catch fire when i open the front door. Standards exist for a reason.
>>
>>54712830
you got me there fampai
If Linux had Foobar2000 native, I'd suck Stallman's cock til he could no longer have kids.
>>
>>54712821
Autism
>>
>>54712855
>Foobar2000 native
Winamp 2.95. All problems solved.
>>
File: Tm7Ie.png (577 KB, 1226x731) Image search: [Google]
Tm7Ie.png
577 KB, 1226x731
>>54712855
Say hello to your new friend DeaDBeeF.

http://deadbeef.sourceforge.net/
>>
>>54712848
>If your hardware doesn't work it's your own fault REEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>54712848
>wifi or sound cards
See the first part of >>54712821 but I have had every single one I've ever tried just fucking work out of the goddamn box. Stop using obscure and/or shit hardware.

>solidworks
The tons of CAD software for GNU.
>Altium
Same regarding PCB design. Don't be an idiot. Google, for fuck's sake.

>I can't figure out another GUI even though they all look and work mostly the goddamn same
Are you retarded? They all work very similarly and the only real difference is look and feel.

Jesus fuck, it's almost like you're all paid Microsoft trolls trying to lie your way through this thread to discredit GNU.

That's what this is, isn't it?
>>
>>54712593
You aren't doing anything worth doing with your computer if everything works out of the box. This is true for every operating system that has ever existed.
>>
Geimus.
>>
>>54712878
I'm gonna have to try it out. I've used Winamp on Windows before and I always went crawling back to Foobar, but maybe I'll end up actually getting used to it this time.

>>54712884
It's not the same. Just look at how many fucking plugins there are http://www.foobar2000.org/components
>>
>>54712890
>stop using X

I love this
>>
File: b.jpg (70 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
b.jpg
70 KB, 1000x1000
>>54712890
>>54712890
>>54712890
>>
>>54712855
Give credit to the developer for making FB2K proprietary.
>>
>>54712895
Define worth
>>
>>54712391
nothing, it already has too many idiots in the community
>>
>>54712913
Give it a go. Keep it simple stupid, etc. It's still worth an honest look as old as it is.
>>
Honestly, it is the learning curve. Between allowing proprietary software, WINE, and VMs with gpu passthrough, anything on windows can be done on Linux.

The thing is, you have to learn to do them first.
Do most people want to do that? - No.

Also, another big issue is the lack of standardization. I think the variety and differences between different distros and packages and etc are good, because I consider that a big part of the freedom aspect of Linux, there are no limitations. On the flip side of that, without standardization you have to tinker with shit to get it working on your specific install or distro.
I think Canonical is on to something, but they go about it the wrong way because of the shit they've pulled like Unity, Amazon.
>>
File: owwww.jpg (21 KB, 351x359) Image search: [Google]
owwww.jpg
21 KB, 351x359
>>54712831
Realtek RTL8723BE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E nic

It might have been updated by now, but hell if I know.
>>
>>54712969
>The thing is, you have to learn to do them first.
and then over and over again for each new distro.

>Also, another big issue is the lack of standardization.
This.

Linux is WAY too fragmented to ever become a mainstream contender.

One dev each working on 1000 projects/forks will always be shit compared to 1000 devs working on one project.
>>
>>54712777
Sounds like you need to learn how to approach a problem, learn and understand how to use your systems debugging abillities, dmesg, free, top , df , journalctl and probably selinux. These will usually give you a lead on something to google.
>>
File: Muh_Photoshop.png (541 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Muh_Photoshop.png
541 KB, 1366x768
>>54712727
>Finding, installing, configuring & updating drivers specifically.
Manjaro has mhwd (Manjaro hardware detection tool)
Ubuntu and Fedora also has hdt afaik

>Built in wine
Some distros (manjaro) has WINE built in. The problem with WINE is that the libraries are a bit outdated (XP-Vista tier compatibility). Moreover some cuck tier software require tons of irrelevant shit to work. (i.e Photoshop CC actually needs IE libraries)

>They need to decide on one desktop, DE, window manager, package manager, etc. and stick with it.
Strongly disagree. If you want something locked down like that you can always use Unity or GNOME

>>54712830
AYY
>>
>>54713092
Also instead of being cucked by one tyrannical package management system (i.e .deb or .rpm) I actually like open build system which allows to run cross compiled bins
>>
>>54713092
dag, I actually had no idea about most of this.

manjaro sounds like my perfect distro.

any downsides?
>>
>>54713015
Thanks for the tips anon. Free and Top I think I have under control the rest I have vaguely heard about or didn't know existed.
>>
I do as the daily driver on my laptop.

Went through Crunchbang and Mint and some others. Looking at what to install now on new ChinkPad.

I do design work and video editing, though, so my secondary OS on laptop and primary on muh battlestation is wangblows. Adobe sucks the biggest bag of dicks, but it's not really a choice.
>>
Cheap single board computer ($35) with at least 4 GB RAM to replace my computer so I can browse 4chan with ease.
Raspberry Pi isn't quite there yet.
>>
>>54713134
Yes, theoratically Manjaro has a lower compatibility with the Arch user repository.
Also I don't think Manjaro is all that safe, their website went down due to maintainers' lack of attention.

I think your best bet is Korora. Based on Fedora, it also has a hardware detection tool
>>
>>54713212

If you can use crunchbang you're ready for Arch. Using it on a chinkpad myself, it just werks.
>>
>>54712977

Try restarting network-manager
>>
I have an Asus PCE-AC56. Apparently the chipset it uses (Broadcom BCM 4352) does have Linux support though, you just have to compile the driver yourself. https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_PCE-AC56
Is that something someone inexperienced like me can do?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-24_13-26-33.png (207 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-24_13-26-33.png
207 KB, 1366x768
Pretty comfy. Although I'd be really happy if vmware had a seamless mode like virtualbox
>>
>>54712391
>better power management
>better disk io speed
>better driver support (yeah, I know this isn't *nix devs fault specifically, but it's still needed)
>don't need to buy a specific laptop to ensure compatibility, things like hibernation and lid opening "just werk"
>stable and mature GUI API (for all its problems, the win32 API has been stable for decades)
>hell, even a unified system wide graphical API
>no more drivers crashing the whole system because the kernel can't handle it
>lol fucking grub, where do you even start
>distros that actually audit the packages they distribute
>don't make people choose between supporting recent hardware and breaking compatibility with previous kernel versions, Linux has been around for as long as windows but is STILL unstable as hell (as shitty as it is, companies still run VB.6 programs on Windows today without change, even though vb.6 was released in 1998)
etc. etc. I used *nix exclusively for a few years and went back to Windows. It sucks in a lot of ways, but it's consistent and it works. I spend more time working then I spend getting a window manager to work.
>>
>>54712776

It's because of people like you that Linux is underdeveloped. Why would ANYONE want to even try and develop an OS with a neckbeard douchenozzle like yourself? You want command prompts and green text? Great. No one else in this thread does. Gtfo.
>>
I'm just using Windows cuz I'm developing a WP app -_-
>>
File: 1458404462605.png (114 KB, 594x483) Image search: [Google]
1458404462605.png
114 KB, 594x483
>>54712776
>Baka, baka, baka, baka, BAKA.
Someone's mad
>>
>>54712391
a better de than aqua + general polish
>>
>>54713424
kvm or kys :^) virtualbox a shit
>>
>>54712391
GNU
>>
>>54713697
kvm is a timesink and I don't play cuck games
>>
>>54713612
He's the baka here.
>>
>>54713741
KERNEL HEADER MISSING PLEASE RELINK OR RECOMPILE YOUR HEADERS - virtualcucks 2016
>>
Second Generation Vulkan API.
>>
>>54713822
wew lad, even I, as a noobuntubabby can solve this
 sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)
>>
>>54713862
The headers are already there it's just that virtualbox can't see them without relinking
>>
>>54714066
Seriously, don't you have a spare machine to turn into a dedicated box? You'll learn faster.
>>
>>54712977
I got the fix for this anon!
open up your terminal and type
 sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8723be.conf 

then paste this into it and restart your laptop

options rtl8723be fwlps=N ips=N 

worked on my thinkpad running ubuntu gnome 16.04
>>
Proper support for GPUs & their drivers, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premier Pro.
>>
>>54713228
Haha, Crunchbang was like the first thing I ran that wasn't just live off a USB. I'll go for Arch then.

I'm more stuck on what DE I should use, but I'll FIO soon enough.
>>
>>54714147
Lol i run fedora at work and home, i know how to fix the issue, it's when i was first trying to get virtualization working i would run into that issue every god damn time after a update or a fresh install, tried KVM and it just twerked.
>>
>>54712391
A real way to break my baby duck syndrome.

I grew up with the way Windows works. I like how it works. I can use it to a much greater degree than I can Linux.

Mint won't cut it. It's gotta work just like Windows, faults and all.

And thats not gonna happen.
>>
A memory editor as fully featured as cheat engine, and a packet editor as fully featured as wpe pro.
>>
I just don't have a reason to. It's not any faster or slower or better or worse at anything that I do with a computer. Windows is already essentially free. So at my level of overall computer expertise, it means very little to me what OS I use, and I already know Windows.

Who knows? Maybe one day I will end up in a career position where I need to switch to some other OS. I would learn it just fine. I'm not opposed to Linux or OSX. I just don't need to at the moment.
>>
I already use linux, but I hope fermi reclocking on nouveau comes soon desu (I typed this directly)
>>
>>54712391
Nothing. If you are not interested in learning more-controlling more about your computer it provides no improvements whatsoever. It runs better on toasters but it's not a valid point at this time (it is valid for mobile though, which is why android is widely adopted).
>>
>>54712977
Broadcom-wl-dkms from AUR works for me using that same adapter
>>
>>54712977
Use proprietary drivers. Open source-reverse engineered drivers are still not very good. I had a similar issue with infamous Broadcom 43222 and proprietary drivers solved it right away.
>>
File: 2ch_4038d5_5156674.png (173 KB, 1239x712) Image search: [Google]
2ch_4038d5_5156674.png
173 KB, 1239x712
I already dual boot. But if I were to use GNU/Linux alone, I'd need eroge devs to make their games for Linux as well. As of now a lot of them run fine under WINE, but a lot of them don't.

Oh, and better driver support I guess...
>>
>>54712391
>If you aren't a Linux user, what does Linux need to have in order to convince you to become one?
No propritary modules.
>>
>>54714936
Most have been working for me under WINE staging, and also with gstreamer stuff set up. I had issues with some games since I don't have all of the 32-bit gstreamer plugins, but I "fixed" the issue by reencoding all the mp3 sound files to ogg (the engine the game used ignored extensions, apparently)
>>
>>54714954
There is a deblobbed kernel and Debian uses it. Not sure what other distros do, but surely at least the ones the FSF list do.
>>
>>54712934
I'm not the guy you were talking to, but for me, the Ubuntu experience has often been:
>install Ubuntu
>Everything "works" - meaning an OS that looks like it works well until you open a window - no hardware acceleration
>Try installing drivers
>Blackscreen.exe
>Try fixing stuff with the ctrl+f1 terminal
>sometimes this has black screen too, sometimes the network gets fucked up, sometimes fuck up until os doesn't start anymore whatsoever

Recently however, I had some luck and got it to work (after some fiddling) so I could mod and build myself a custom android rom, and I learned quite a bit about Linux there.
Its a lot of fun for a guy like me and I love it - the gnome desktop switcher is great and the terminal interaction makes me jizz all over the screen. But the way there was anything but wotb.
>>
>>54712391
when I wasn't a linux user, and then I started using it, it was because of rice

now I can't go back because I don't want to program on windows with cygwin
>>
>>54714170
Cool, I will try this out later! Thanks, hope it works.

>>54714901
Can you provide a link please, or elaborate? I'm dense as fuck when it comes to this stuff.

>>54714918
Do you have a link for this? Thanks.
>>
>>54715134
>Do you have a link for this? Thanks.
For what? The drivers? Check your manufacturers website. Otherwise depending on your distribution they may already be available packaged for you. dkms versions save time a lot if available.
>>
>>54714901
>>54715134
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/broadcom-wl-dkms
>>
>>54712391
>Video drivers
The open source drivers have shit performance, and AMD recently dropped support for the proprietary drivers for my video chipset. If I want to use an updated distro and still run games or VMWare with 3D acceleration, I'm now fucked until I buy a new laptop. Also, the multi-monitor experience is still far nicer on Windows.
>Apps
I have yet to find a text editor on Linux I like as much as Notepad++, or a music player as good as Foobar2000, and LibreOffice still pales in comparison to MS Office, etc. Sure, I could run all these things in Wine and deal with various minor bugs and incompatibilities, but at that point why bother.
>Games
Sure, Linux now has some games. Still not many, and mostly not the ones I'm interested in playing. Again, Wine works for some things, but not everything (I can't believe Quartz still can't deal with MPEG-1 streams after all these years, for example).

I love the idea of Linux and attempt to make the switch pretty much yearly, but every time it just ends up being a lot of effort for a somewhat inferior experience compared to Windows.
>>
File: 1463507965957.png (37 KB, 658x662) Image search: [Google]
1463507965957.png
37 KB, 658x662
Drivers. If driver support wasn't a constant issue, then I wouldn't need to boot into windows. I never realized how big of an issue this was until I started using linux as my primary OS. There's always some issue with my phone, a usb stick, or a graphics tablet. It fucking sucks, bro.
>>
Anyone know of a good modern flat bed scanner that is completely supported by Linux. And please don't reply with links to stuff I can easily google. I've done that. I want to hear from people who actually own scanners that work.
>>
>>54715214
I really hope Linux catches on in developing countries because it is cheaper so that hardware manufacturers will provide better driver support for Linux.

Think about it, if someone was trying to sell an absolute barebones laptop for like Africa or India, they could shave a decent amount off the price by using Ubuntu instead of paying for Windows. But that probably won't happen as long as Windows is so easy to pirate...
>>
That one mmorpg im currently playing
>>
>>54714661
>free

Cost wise maybe. Do you value your freedom by the amount of money you spend?
>>
>>54714305

Just make a crunchbang clone. openbox WM and tint2 panel. Conky if you want.
>>
>>54712626
Use ubuntu, its user friendly installing programms is via softwarecenter.

I'm using it right now as transition from windows to the linux, that suits me most.
>>
>>54712391
Once some of the distributions achieve compatibility with more programs than Mac OSX I migh start taking notice
Also, once they're able to run .exe files...at least, I'm pretty sure they still can't do that
>>
>>54715615
Have you heard of WINE? WINE exists on OS X too AFAIK, but has less support.
>>
>>54712642
>you can't rely on LO to get formatting right, plus equatios get rendered as images
I just create a PDF copy. It ensures that all the formatting and fonts I used will look the same on another computer. It helps a lot with presentations.
>>
>>54712478
im not working in tech and ive used it since 07 as a daily driver on all my laptops cause it just werks and im not fucking old
>>
Linux is fine, I just prefer OpenBSD
>>
Maybe Linux has to start to spy on user for people to want to try it.
>>
>>54712977
Buy a cheap ath9k card. I got mine from ebay for $4 shipping included. You'll also get master mode as a bonus.
>>
>>54712391
First and foremost I believe Linux should be constantly connecting and transmitting data of my computer usage, I mean, if other people don't how long I keep my browsers open and how many and what photos I've opened, what's the point in using Linux?

However I give it to Ubuntu they have something along these lines going on but it's a long road

And what's the deal with open source, I like my software just with the binaries. I don't want to know what's going on, and I certainly don't want others to know about either. It just reflects how unsecure the developers are of their productif they need it open and show it to whole planet. Geez.
>>
>>54712391
le computor gaems kekeke amrite :^)
who #gaymyersehole here
>>
>>54712391
I don't know - Windows felt better in all possible ways - I could get used to Linux but it would take long and much ignorance over lack of things.

If I started with Linux I totally wouldn't care about Windows - I would've perceived it as "meh something extra I can live without it - at least Linux is free" - but since I lived all my life with comfort of windows product it's a bad habit - I can't break, and I really don't want to waste brain chemicals in decision making and learning linux trough and trough.
>>
File: Autodesk-Large.jpg (11 KB, 374x202) Image search: [Google]
Autodesk-Large.jpg
11 KB, 374x202
Windows program compatibility out of the box
Alternatively I'd be ok with autodesk suite, Adobe suite, Microsoft office
>>
>>54712416
This.

>>54712558
>playing FPS anything on a console
>what are legacy games
>anything RTS ever being on Console save like a dozen ports and shitty exclusives across all generations
>>
>>54712391
Installed Ubuntu Linux on my dad's dying laptop against his will, he previously had windows 7. Riced it a little (proper icons, cool gtk theme, disabled botnet features).

My dad now loves Linux and thanks me everyday.
>>
File: 1464042278134.jpg (69 KB, 498x482) Image search: [Google]
1464042278134.jpg
69 KB, 498x482
>>54712890
>The tons of CAD software for GNU.
I don't think you understand how this works anon. If you can't run SolidWorks or CATIA then you ain't fucking shit and literally no one will hire you. You might find some shitty shop that uses AutoCAD for some godawful reason but literally no one uses any kind of FREE AS IN FREEDOM mechanical CAD software in industry.
>>
>>54712848
should've install new versions of Ubuntu or Mint

I've recently installed Mint Cinnamon Rafaela on my gf's old laptop and Lubuntu 16.04 on mine, both worked perfectly out of the box with wifi and shit
>>
>>54717726
>autodesk
Some software has linux compatability. Maya 2016, for instance, runs on red hat enterprise linux and centos - it's on their requirements page.
>adobe suite
photoshop - gimp
premiere - blender
okay, this is a weak argument, adobe wins here
>MS Office
Libre Office, or for a very good replica of MS Office, WPS Office
>>
Nothing. I use Windows 7 because it does everything I want it to and I'm accustomed to it. I don't have anything against Linux, I just don't want to learn how to use a different system.
>>
>>54712391
More drivers and better stability.
Also the installation process takes too much time and effort for what it is.
>>
>>54712391
I fundamentally hate everything about unix and unix-like systems. So there's no way I would ever become a linux user unless I had literally no other option.
>>
>>54712757
There used to be an Ubuntu program that let you install it via windows and reboot into Ubuntu, worked okay in my experience idk if it's still a thing
>>
>>54718431
in reality this is most windows users, but they make up excuses as to why it isn't worth learning another system.
>>
>>54717813
This is pretty much true, all the free CAD software like FreeCAD, LibreCAD or kiCAD is perfectly fine for Hobbyists and makers who don't want to spend 3000-10000$ on CAD software but for professional use you'll need something else.
>>
Less reliance on the command line for everyday tasks. Less dumbass forks and distros. Easier to install software (I should never have to touch the fucking command line) with INSTALLERS.

And sell the goddamned product. If it's overcomes its problems we will pay. Less than Windows.

And murder half of the obnoxious linux community. And stallman is a fat commie asswipe...stop glorifying him.

That's all.
>>
>>54712509
They fucking don't.
>>
>>54718997
Linux already has more drivers than any other kernel in history, and is the most widely used kernel for uses requiring stability.

Why don't you hold other systems to the same standard?
>>
>>54719196
We do. They actually fucking work.

Until you've spent four hours to get a wifi driver working with 'ndoswrapper' and still haven't accomplish shit then you don't know what hell is like.this experience is only available on Linux.

And DROP the GNU shit.
>>
>>54712391
It just feels like an unfinished product. I don't know how to describe it. I use all Windows, OS X and Linux for different reasons. Better software support would be great too.
>>
>>54718997
>More drivers and better stability.
Pretty sure Linux already has the most device drivers out of any available OS. How many more does it need?
>>
>>54719078
t. OS X user
>>
>>54712391
1. just werk
2. preinstalls
>>
>>54719158
Buy RHEL if you want to pay for stuff, but keep in mind that CentOS usually patches before they do, so you'd be paying for slower service.

>Less reliance on the command line for everyday tasks.
any serious administrative work on a computer should be done via command line. people using computers as a mere utility don't need to touch the command line in systems like RHEL and Ubuntu
>Less dumbass forks and distros.
FYI there are not really any forks for Linux, just a number of differently packaged distributions of software. I don't see why this makes you mad.
>Easier to install software (I should never have to touch the fucking command line) with INSTALLERS.
Installers are awful, package managers are the way. Synaptic is a graphical package manager, but doesn't really work well with RPM based distros like RHEL.
>>
hardware support, good drivers, gaymen, less fucking issues with crashing software/bugs
>>
>>54719226
>ndiswrapper
people still use this? just use the linux driver, not the windows one. far more stable. you can't blame linux for your own stupidity.

good luck getting linux to drop all GNU utilities. Even Windows is adopting GNU. you can't get away from the GNU
>>
>>54719292
>easybait.png
>>
>>54719304
serious though.
>>
>>54719271
>any serious administrative work on a computer should be done via command line. people using computers as a mere utility don't need to touch the command line in systems like RHEL and Ubuntu
bullshit

normal computer users have to maintain their own computers.

the notion that a gui should be an essentially useless launcher for dumb user applications like web browsers and office suites and nothing else is THE REASON that linux never succeeded on the desktop and never will.
>>
>>54712391
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
Today I got hired instead of some plebians because I actually maintain a source based distribution.

Score
>Gentoo: 1
>Debian: 0
>>
>>54712664
>and they have some cock throbbing release ready to surprise us with,
lewd
>>
>>54719318
it's not that gui should be an essentially useless launcher for dumb user applications: it is an essentially useless launcher for dumb user applications

you can do all the plebian tasks with a gui on linux distros like Ubuntu. updates, installing new software, adjusting screen resolution, turning on local file sharing, etc. if you want to do that stuff faster or script it like an intelligent person, then the CLI shell comes into play. experienced users tend to stick to the CLI because it's the laziest way to do things.

>THE REASON that linux never succeeded on the desktop and never will.
OK, sure. As far as I'm concerned, linux has already succeeded on the desktop. My desktop. I don't need millions of other people to do the same as I do. The majority of people don't even have a desktop computer. Though it is kind of funny that it was developed for home computers but has become the standard for everything except home computers.
>>
>>54719487
you got hired because of the os you use?
were you hired as computer-poweruser?
>>
>>54719558
Yeah great, you call pull out all the dumb surly linuxtard rhetoric about how linux is perfect and guis are for babies and you don't care if normies use it, except that this thread is explicitly asking why people don't use linux. Well here's your fucking answer. If your response is "I don't care", then fine. GO AWAY.
Thread replies: 152
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.