[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
IT fags on suicide watch.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7
File: terminal pepe.png (120 KB, 623x800) Image search: [Google]
terminal pepe.png
120 KB, 623x800
>He wasted his life learning how to write programs, when AI can be easily trained by normies to work just as well.
>He fell for the Technology Career meme.

http://www.wired.com/2016/05/the-end-of-code/
>>
Yeah, that's not how this works.
>>
>>54711548
It's literally exactly how it works. You can just contradict an argument by saying "NU-UH!"
>>
>>54711598
*can't.
>>
File: 1446512631569.gif (1 MB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
1446512631569.gif
1 MB, 540x540
>>54711509
But sombody has to make the AI :^)
>>
>>54711509
Where the fuck do they hire these idiots?
>>
If you think we'll be able to "LOL JUST TRAIN A NEURAL NETWORK" to be able to architect massive scale enterprise systems, you're either retarded or just don't know what neural networks and machine learning actually are.
>>
programming is an art form
>>
>>54711968
>programming
It's coding now grandpa
>>
>>54711960
>If you think we'll be able to "LOL JUST TRAIN A NEURAL NETWORK" to be able to architect massive scale enterprise systems
but this is exactly what will happen. Scale is something that is always, always defeated by time (and new hardware) in computer science. If you can solve a tiny problem today, you can solve one twice as big in 1.5 years, four times in 3 years, using the exact same methodology.

All the big tech companies are pushing dedicated hardware to scale up machine learning by manifold. Google has a hardware tensor processing unit. IBM has Watson. These technologies are literally beating moore's law by an order of magnitude.
>>
>>54711509
This is honestly comedy gold:

"Programmers hate him, find out how this guy created an award winning fizzbuzz without writing a single line of code"

"The End Of Wired"
"Proof that you can only write pseudoscience bullshit and baseless assertion for so long before your readerbase walks out"
>>
File: 11-drake.jpg (234 KB, 2025x1350) Image search: [Google]
11-drake.jpg
234 KB, 2025x1350
>>54712044
>These technologies are literally beating moore's law by an order of magnitude.
Moores law is about the number of transistors on a chip which is reaching its limits now.
>>
This has the same ring to it as upload your brain to the cloud. Or Deep learning the machine is learning like a person bro multilayer neural networks. That article is almost a satire of itself
>>
>>54712087
Can we create a law that any pop culture law will be misconstrued and oversimplified until it loses any significant meaning it may have once had?
>>
>>54712141
Millennial's Law
>>
>>54712087
>>54712141
Moore's law was generalized into "computing power / die size" ages ago.

If you go by "size of transistor" only, it hasn't held up since the 90s. Because we have transistors of the same size clocked twice as fast instead.
>>
>implying I didn't walk into undergrad with a full and accepting awareness of this
>implying I'm not working towards a career in AI research
>implying the point of all of this toil isn't to finally build a machine that makes me as a human obsolete

Yes, we have started the fire. It rises
>>
>Ha, you won't have a job in 2000 years!
Sure showed me. At least I can always count on you to ask if I want fries with tha- oh dear you've been replaced by a bot run by less than 100 lines of code.
>>
>>54712580
This. I can safely bet that any genuinely tech-obsessed /g/eek on this board in a CS/SE/EE program was already aware of the general direction of AI use in society.
>>
I'm pretty sure when programmers get replaced by AI, the majority of jobs by then will also be replaced as well. Perhaps the majority of the population will be living off of a universal basic income at that point.
>>
>>54712044
>manifold

Anon, these aren't cars.
>>
>>54711903
I kept watching to see how many tries it would take him.
I can stop now, can't I?
>>
Good luck teaching a computer think for itself.
>>
>>54711509
Before AI can replace programming, it will replace practically every other job on the planet. If AI replaces me, then we've hit the Singularlity and I have much more bigger things to worry about than being unemployed.
>>
>>54713118
>much more bigger
much bigger*
I know how to speak English, I swear.
>>
>>54711509
Honestly, I can't wait. Programming is just a means to an end, not an end in itself. The fact that the tech culture as a whole doesn't get that is the root of so many stupid problems.
>>
my god that annoy wall was anoying
>>
>>54711509
I fell for the teacher meme
>>
>>54713124
I bet AI can already into English better than us. :^)
>>
>>54712064
Hilariously enough, you'd have an easier time making a journalist bot. I guarantee their audience wouldn't even be able to tell the difference.
>>
>With machine learning, the engineer never knows precisely how the computer accomplishes its tasks

This is exactly why manual will live on for the foreseeable future. Anything that's fail-deadly cannot be trusted to machine learning. NASA, for example, has so many redundancies built into their system that they had multiple flight computer systems. Not just multiple of the same one, but multiple types running multiple, independently developed software packages.

Anything that's carrying people or weapons in it will have code that engineers know inside, out, and backwards.
>>
>>54712044
dumbest post currently on /g/, congrats
>>
>>54711509
>IT fags
>IT
you fucked up

Also
>implying we won't be the last to go
When the scientist creates the machine that makes the workers obsolete, who goes bankrupt first?
The scientist or the workers?
>>
>when AI can be easily trained by normies
What did he mean by this? Does he really think Chad can do anything but trick people with charisma? Does he really think Stacy can fire enough neurons to understand and implement gradient descent much less a full neural network?
>>
>>54711509
nobody who has any idea about 1) the state of current ai 2) how long/hard it is to actually automate things for corporations is worried

this will be more of a problem for kids born in the 2020s and beyond, our generation will be the one to profit from all of this
>>
>>54711960
ibm showed me some cool slides and had me sign a 100 million dollar contract, they can't possibly be lying
>>
>>54713804
old-school sysadmins are kinda fucked but that's not a job worth saving tbqh
>>
>>54711509
>IT
That's not how it works
That's not how any of it works.
>>
>>54711931
Futurists, they are all idiots.
>>
>>54713897
It become more and more often that I feel the need to type these words on /g/.
What went wrong?
>>
>tfw code artisan
>tfw dumb machines who could never create a work of art can't replace me
>>
>wired

how about no.

funny that they even ask me to turn off ad blocker just to read those shitty articles
>>
>>54715606
Summer
>>
>>54711598
>Argues against someone saying nu uh by saying nu uh.

ok dude...
>>
"coders", web "developers" and bootcamp kiddies are going to be fucked. Software engineers will be OKAY.
>>
File: 1436559529933.jpg (22 KB, 533x477) Image search: [Google]
1436559529933.jpg
22 KB, 533x477
>>54711509
tfw ph.d math
300k any job
>>
>>54713236
It's an abstract concept that if AI was capable of doing, we would have reached a point where jobs are deprecated

We can have sex, play sport/video games, and do our hobbies (programming, gunpla, etc) without worry
>>
File: 1451263397424.jpg (14 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1451263397424.jpg
14 KB, 320x320
>tfw truSTEM and not a meme profession like CS
>>
>>54716077
I was simply pointing out the fact that he was bringing nothing to the discussion. What else was I supposed to do?
>>
File: spooky shaking.gif (136 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
spooky shaking.gif
136 KB, 480x480
>>54713094
You can never stop :^)
>>
>>54718649
>using the smiley with a carat nose
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.