[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hacking a simple(?) USB motor driver
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 20141018-Inwerk-Table-Pad-001.jpg (308 KB, 1000x668) Image search: [Google]
20141018-Inwerk-Table-Pad-001.jpg
308 KB, 1000x668
How do you attempt to speak to a USB device if you know next to nothing about its specifications and don't have driver/software for it?

I am going to purchase a height-adjustable table and it has an optional USB-interface to control the table height with your computer. So some software-controlled way to enable/disable the motors and their direction

Naturally, software only exists for Win/Mac. I do not know yet if there is some beta software/documentation to get it to work on Linux but if we assume the worst case: Is there any way to DIY my way into that interface?

Generally speaking, how would you attempt something like this? Can the Win/Mac software be analyzed in some way? Can you spam the USB-Device until something sticks?
>>
>>54707573
You could test to see what the program sends to the controller, then send that data from a program you write.
>>
>>54707573
Get an oscilloscope and see what happens in the datalines.
>>
>>54707619
>>54707654
In both cases, I need the software working natively, right?

As in: on a working windows system/vm.

I don't have easy access to an oscilloscope and wouldn't know how to operate it. What's the software route that
>>54707619
seemed to suggest?
>>
>>54707573
Speak loudly and slowly.
>>
send 240v down each usb pin
>>
>>54707573
>Naturally, software only exists for Win/Mac. I do not know yet if there is some beta software/documentation to get it to work on Linux but if we assume the worst case: Is there any way to DIY my way into that interface?
conact the manufacturer
tell them you'll develop a linux port for them
receive source code and a free table.
>>
>>54709985
I did that. Well I asked them for linux software or at least a driver/tech docs. I cannot promise development in return because of a substantial lack of experience and confidence in this specific matter.

We'll see how they react.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.