[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why the hell would anyone use Python or Ruby over C. The software
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
File: 1407241021351.png (52 KB, 363x403) Image search: [Google]
1407241021351.png
52 KB, 363x403
Why the hell would anyone use Python or Ruby over C. The software should be nice to use. It's not nice when the program is slow as fuck.

Their dynamic nature makes debugging software increasingly hard. Basically developing with these higher level languages takes more time than with C.

Every program should be written in C. In most cases, it would be good to also optimize tight loops with Assembly. This way programs would be fast and fun to use.

Languages such as C# and Java have no point at all. They are essentially crippled versions of C. Limited pointers and limited memory management. The virtual machine takes forever to JIT-optimize the code, thus harming the user experience. Not to mention GC, which slows everything down, providing nothing useful in return. GC is shit.

Then there are these C++-retards. Sure, you can in theory make as fast C++-code as C-code, but is it really worth it? Every C++ program in practice is slower, harder to debug, and harder to develop.

Functional languages, such as Haskell are no answer to problem. They abstract the hardware to hell and are very slow in practice.

So tell me: Why is C and Assembly not used for every program today?
>>
Newer languages have safety features and even stuff like automatic garbage collection.
>>
>>54704816
This. Python is "accident-proof" in that it won't let you do something that will break your shit and abstracts away a lot of stuff that most people don't need to worry about.
>>
>>54704786
because memes and SHIT programmers want to feel like they can make things too and feel special and pat themselves on the back

they get defensive whenever you point this out, because they always have the knowledge that they're utterly shit at their job lingering in the back of their mind

:)
>>
>>54704845
>Python is "accident-proof" in that it won't let you do something that will break your shit

x=1+"foo"
>>
>sorry boss, i couldnt finish the project because i was reimplementing standard libraries
>>
>>54704876
wow we have a hacker in the system!!!

epic hack /g/ro ! XD
>>
>54704893
>sorry boss, i couldnt finish the project because i was reimplementing standard libraries

t. Pajeet

no wonder you're all pathetic, shit programmers. fuck off with your pathetic programs that you shit out for 10 cents an hour while your boss whips your ass
>>
>>54704876
Guise, I'm a prog newbie, what does "foo" "bar" means? I only know the music player.
>>
Easier build tools.
Macros in C suck.
>>
>>54704930

Foo = Food
Bar = Bar

Food Bar. Hungry, fat, neckbeards. It's one of the easiest things they can remember, so the implement it in programming as a sort of "spam" word, like Lorem Ipsum
>>
>>54704876
Don't like it? You have complete control over changing that __add__ method to do what you want it to do.

>>54704930
It means nothing and is derived from FUBAR, meaning in short, "it's fucked."
>>
>>54704786
All these things have uses. Yes, C is technically the fastest. But fastest isn't always the best.

Every language has it's use case, Python's being: "it's easy".
>>
Everything you said is reasonable except the part about cpp. cpp is better than c in every way possible, except for low level programming. Python is only good for socket programming because its easy. Java is pretty fucking dumb but you have to know it to be able to get a job today.
cpp, java, c, and python, and assembly are the only real languages you really need to learn, but when it comes down to actual functionality, cpp and c are the most optimal.
>>
>>54704786

The right tool for the job. Its absurd to use C for applications that dont have performance requirements where a scripting language work well enough, and vice-versa.

With commodity hardware becoming faster and faster - its natural for compiled languages to not be as popular as they were in years past.
>>
>>54705221
>work well enough
>well enough

this is the problem with millenials these days

fuck off
>>
>>54705279
You're the type of guy that doesn't use frameworks and libraries because of "overhead", aren't you?
>>
File: IMG_3304[1].jpg (93 KB, 498x548) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3304[1].jpg
93 KB, 498x548
>>54705365
You're the type of guy that doesn't use the loo because of the "toilet witch", aren't you?
>>
>>54705444
Dank
>>
File: Screenshot_3.png (53 KB, 590x832) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_3.png
53 KB, 590x832
>>54704786
>Languages such as C# and Java have no point at all. They are essentially crippled versions of C. Limited pointers and limited memory management.
manual memory management is useless in 99,99% of real world cases and it's always possible to interface the native code in those extremely rare cases.
>The virtual machine takes forever to JIT-optimize the code, thus harming the user experience.
Java is almost as fast as C even in a single run that includes the JVM startup
>Not to mention GC, which slows everything down, providing nothing useful in return. GC is shit.
it frees from having to write menial memory management boilerplate over and over and isn't even noticeable
>>
>>54704786
>Functional languages, such as Haskell are no answer to problem. They abstract the hardware to hell and are very slow in practice.
That's only one problem with functional languages. The bigger problems are circular reasoning and the idea that something that solves some problems solves them all.

They have a mentality that functional programming is good because it's good, not that it's good because it's useful. It's a "solution looking for a problem" so to speak.

I think the FP hype is because of blindness towards what people are already doing. If everyone used FP and explicit state passing and someone came up with the idea of "imperative programming" where a variable can be passed and returned without having to explicitly specify it, people would say that's a good thing, but since people are so used to it, they don't realize how it could be an improvement.

It was really detrimental to the research in imperative languages, which is why millions of people use a language created for a toy OS on a PDP-11 instead of a really amazing language that the researchers of the 70s imagined everyone would be using by now.
>>
>>54704786
Scheme and common lisp are the only high level languages you should use.
>>
>>54704786
Diversity is a sign of progress. Just stick with your shit and let others evolve their stuff. (Says software developer with 20+ years experience in commercial SD, involving assembly, C, C++, Java, JavaScript, C#, Python, Scala, OpenCL and GLSL.)

If you think a screwdriver is the only tool the world needs, well... says a lot about your mind. Also, sage.
>>
>>54706296
>which is why millions of people use a language created for a toy OS on a PDP-11 instead of a really amazing language that the researchers of the 70s imagined everyone would be using by now.
what languages do you mean? I just wish everyone used Ada or Object Pascal
>>
>>54706359
The Lisp mentality ruined computer science.

It is true that people using newer languages are copying from Lisp. The "webdev" mentality popular among JavaScript and PHP programmers originated with Lisp.
>>
You sound like someone who just graduated CS and has yet to get a real job OP
>>
>>54706545
>Ada
this is by far the best, especially with SPARK 2014
>>
>>54704786
Because C is too damn complicated for beginners (like me) and Python is pretty straightforward.
>>
>>54704786
>So tell me: Why is C and Assembly not used for every program today?
because it fucking easy to make a careless mistake or a typo that the whole team will be tracking for days and Assembly isn't really maintainable. get a job in the software industry first and talk about what they should be using later
>>
>>54704786
I bet you haven't created a single piece of usable program before.
>>
>>54706545
They thought software would one day be as reliable as hardware.
>>
>>54706868
>>54706613
>>54706545
>compared to programs written in C, programs written in Ada 83 contain "70% fewer internal fixes and 90% fewer bugs", and cost half as much to develop in the first place
>protects from bugs like nothing else
>isn't particularly hard
>portable
>supports low level
>readable
>puts emphasis on molecularity and scales extremely well
it would be absolutely perfect for Enterprise™ and yet no one is using it. literally why?
>>
>>54707134
with Ada.Text_IO; use Ada.Text_IO;
procedure Hello is
begin
Put_Line ("Hello, world!");
end Hello;

>begin
>end
>>
>>54707194
>not even knowing what begin means in Ada
>>
>>54707194
it's better than chasing braces Tbh
>>
>>54707134
>>54707194
"When Roman engineers built a bridge, they had to stand under it while the first legion marched across. If programmers today worked under similar ground rules, they might well find themselves getting much more interested in Ada!" — Robert Dewar
>>
>>54709078
>programmers
it's managers' fault. they either pick a technology because everyone is doing it or they pick some latest meme hipster framework because they're trying to be cool. no actual research goes into it.
>>
>>54704786
>>Every program should be written in C.
Problems with C: it's really easy to make mistakes thanks to c style strings and manual memory management, hard to use in teams because no OOP, no references, hard to debug programs.

There are newer languages which have similar performance and are better than C, such as go (simplicity, fast compilation, easy multithreading, great library for web applications), rust(better than c for system programming, no memory leaks because compilator checks for them) and D (what c++ should have been).
>>
>>54704786
If I have to work in a group with incompetents I would rather see them use python than C
>>
>>54704930
They're just dummy values used to refer to variables. Think of it as "foo" means "example1" and "bar" means "example2"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foobar
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.