[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
are computers a safe job?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
are computers a safe job?
>>
>>54701258
No. All that shit could be outsourced at any time.
>>
>>54701258
there's no such thing as a safe job
>>
>>54701575
And there's a reason why they aren't. While it's easy to find programmers finding ones that are good is difficult. And while you have to pay a lot more to them they're still worth the money.

I've seen so many companies first outsource all their shit to India and fire their devs only to hire them back at a much higher salary a year later.
>>
>>54701580
This
>>
>>54701799

Tell that to a gov employee.
>>
>>54701812
>be me
>be civil servant
>be in terms with death
>enjoy life shitposting and consuming entertainment
>die painlessly
>>
If you want safe, be a dentist. Even if you get fired for malpractice you're still valuable in the apocalypse.
Reasons for people not to kill and steal your stuff are the only valuable things in the apocalypse.
>>
>>54701626
>And there's a reason why they aren't. While it's easy to find programmers finding ones that are good is difficult.

Bull. Shit.

The out sourcing and visa shit is accelerating. Pointy Haired Middle Manager and the Stock Price Is Everything Board couldn't discern good code from bad code even if they gave a shit.

Software development is not a stable career and hasn't been since the early 2000's. This doesn't mean that no one has long term employment or no one gets paid well or no one is safe from Pajeet. But if you're looking at college majors you have to look at the odds, and they are not good.

>I've seen so many companies first outsource all their shit to India and fire their devs only to hire them back at a much higher salary a year later.

Did Disney, Edison, or IBM fire any foreign workers and rehire the Americans that made the news? And if they did not, what percentage of not-famous fires were rehired?

First time I heard about a major corporation abusing the law to hire H1B visas and force Americans to train them was Bank of America in 2003. (That's when I read the story, not sure if the incident was 2001 or 2002.) The incident made the news because one of their top engineers, on his last day, walked out to his car in the parking lot and blew is brains out.

Tell me, was BofA ever prosecuted for violating multiple employment laws? Did they ever rehire the Americans they illegally threatened and fired?
>>
>>54701258
No. My head got crushed by an ATM machine.
>>
>>54701258
VERY

the safest electronics you will ever repair because 99-100% of the time they will have completely no risk involved.

Unless your doing alot of work on servers that cant be powered down or your a dumbshit with bad luck and enough random static to kill wrist watches (i cant wear wrist watches :(
>>
>>54701894
SKANK
K
A
N
K
>>
>>54701886
>Software development is not a stable career and hasn't been since the early 2000's.
Sadly, I think most careers have this unstable vibe nowadays. When this generation will go into retirement (assuming they do.. some certainly will), most will have had at least 5 "long-term" jobs. 30 years ago people could still get a job and keep it until the retirement.

Is that what you were referring to with "not a stable career"?
>>
>>54701894
S K A N K
K
A
N
K
>>
>>54701886
>everywhere is America
Just because abusing H1Bs is a thing is US it doesn't happen outside US. You can't import thousands of Pajeets in Europe to your country with shitty excuses so to outsource you have to take your shit to India. And that's a recipe for disaster. The difference between importing Pajeets and using Pajeets in India is that the imported ones are at least somewhat competent. Even the middle management and board will see that when nothing gets done. It won't stop them from trying but usually it takes year or two for them to notice their mistake. They don't make huge headlines but you'll hear about them from your colleagues. No one wants to admit that they made a huge mistake and had to hire their old workers at a much higher rate. That doesn't reflect well to stock prices.

Not sure what your definition of stable career is but for me it is one. I don't expect to spend more than 5 years in any job so it isn't 1 job from graduation to retirement type of job security.

Good devs will always have work. It may not be with the same company for all their career but they'll always find work.
>>
>>54701911
>>54702392
AIN'T
>>
File: oshastandards.jpg (116 KB, 298x340) Image search: [Google]
oshastandards.jpg
116 KB, 298x340
>>54701258
Yes, I only seen three people get killed fixing computers compared to other job I have worked at.

In fairness one of them had it coming with that propane refrigeration overclocking setup.
>>
>>54701258
Unless you're doing something any incompetent shit could do, your job is safer than the majority of decent jobs. Safer jobs are either in the service industry or PhD-tier jobs.
>>
>safe
No.
>secure
>No.
>well paid for now
Yes.
>>
>>54701886
>Software development is not a stable career and hasn't been since the early 2000's.
And yet, somehow it's still a well-paid job with huge demand?
>>
>>54701886
>Software development is not a stable career and hasn't been since the early 2000's
what? Is it really that bad in America? I've been working as a Java dev for some time I have never seen anyone get fired. everyone just changes jobs constantly for a better offer. a junior dev in the company I work for was recently negotiating the renewal. the HR eventually agreed to give him the huge salary increase he wanted and he left a few weeks after signing the contract anyway, because he found even a better offer
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.