[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10343 /the-intel-skull-canyon-
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: carousel_678x452.png (204 KB, 678x453) Image search: [Google]
carousel_678x452.png
204 KB, 678x453
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10343/the-intel-skull-canyon-nuc6i7kyk-minipc-review

IT'S HAPPENING
>>
File: 1458001569037.jpg (62 KB, 690x460) Image search: [Google]
1458001569037.jpg
62 KB, 690x460
>>54701225
That fucking skull
>>
>>54701225
>$1027
Nope.
>>
>>54701225
>mind-numbingly expensive
>absolutely shit performance thanks to iGPU
What's the fucking POINT of NUCs? You could buy a better laptop for the same price, and you don't have to provide memory, storage or an OS. Just plug in an external keyboard, mouse and monitor and you've got a better system than a NUC at the same price point, and you can use it as an actual laptop if you want to!
>>
>>54701225
looks awful.
>>
>a fucking integrated GPU
Can this thing even run a game past 2007?
>>
File: 1462655068943.jpg (19 KB, 325x340) Image search: [Google]
1462655068943.jpg
19 KB, 325x340
>Bioshock Infinite - 1920x1080
16.57 FPS

>Sleeping Puppers - 1920x1080
9.5 FPS
>>
File: NUC6i7KYK Top Straight No Skull.png (3 MB, 2600x2600) Image search: [Google]
NUC6i7KYK Top Straight No Skull.png
3 MB, 2600x2600
>>54701276
It comes with a plain lid that doesn't have the Skull
>>
can we hackintosh this as a dev machine
>>
>>54701480
Source?
>>
>>54701532
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10343/the-intel-skull-canyon-nuc6i7kyk-minipc-review/4
>>
>but muh tiny!
yawn
>>
File: hate.jpg (20 KB, 209x241) Image search: [Google]
hate.jpg
20 KB, 209x241
What the fuck is the point? It's as outdated out of the gate as a fucking laptop with none of the advantages of one, who would buy this fucking scam?
>>
>>54701225
I mean you can connect the razer core to it but what's the point besides being a toy for rich bois
>>
>Check author
>Ganesh T S

POO IN IT
>>
>>54701225
>but, the GPU still doesn't have full HEVC 10b decoding, or stable drivers for HEVC decoding on WIndows 10.

>Intel
>drivers
pick 0!
>>
>>54701225
NUCs are still for cucks. UHH JEW ME HARDER INTEL.
>>
>>54701371
This one does come with RAM and storage. No OS though, I don't think.
>>
>>54701225
I don't quite see the point of this, especially since it's neither powerful nor particularly small. It's the same size as a router. But the performance is not even equal to that of a high-end laptop.

So what's the point? Why not make it a bit taller, narrower and add a dGPU on top and have an actual capable system in an enclosure the same size as a macmini?

There's something questionable about the design of this chassis. It doesn't manage to be either very small nor does the compromise in size make it particularly powerful. It's still getting outperformed by HTPCs with dGPUs. It only beats those in CPU-intensive tasks.

And it's not cheap either. If you're going to pay 1000 bucks, how are you going to consider this over so many other better alternatives? Makes no sense. You're better off getting a fanless NUC, which is a lot smaller and not that far behind on performance.
>>
>>54701815
90% of consumers?
>>
>>54702578
NUCs are proof Intel has no clue what the fuck they're doing at all and will eventually die from their competitors. It's almost like they need AMD keeping them honest, too bad they fucked up so bad with their terrible single core performance garbage.
>>
>>54701306
This.

OP, why do I want this?
>>
>>54702577
This one came with RAM and storage because it was a review unit. The review mentions that it comes with a setup guide, explaining how to install RAM and storage, because it doesn't come with it.
>>
The Razer core costs 499 bucks without the actual GPU. Add the GPU price and you're going beyond 1000 just for the external GPU. If you want to use an external GPU with this thing (if that was the point of having a Thunderbolt 3 port), the whole thing will cost close to 2000 bucks.

For.. what.. purpose.. Neither cheap, nor small, if you have to connect an external GPU for having actual gaming power, not just gimped iGPU.
>>
>>54701225
>Thunderbolt 3
eGPUs here we come.

I hope we see more GPU casings though. The Razer Core is expensive as hell and they've acted like it may or may not work with other brands.
>>
>>54702664
Idk maybe the cheaper NUCs might be worth it, if you get some on ebay and some really cheap RAM and SSds. But at least the older models had a really small chassis, they were basically smaller than a macmini, almost could fit in a palm, this is much bigger, has much more TDP, but its GPU performance sucks ass. So you need an external GPU dock, which defeats the purpose of the small footprint (which wasn't even that small, in the first place, compared to the other generations of NUCs).

Not sure how Intel thought this would be a killer product. Neither too small, nor too powerful for that size. I can see they are trying to pack as much power as possible in a small footprint, but this is nothing exceptional. The enclosure just got much bigger to support a higher TDP CPU, but with mediocre iGPU performance. I don't see what appeal this product could have to consumers.
>>
>>54702753
They're priced at a level where even if you buy the cheapest discount Kingston trash, it's still more expensive than custom building or ordering a custom built.
>>
HTPC case with APU and be done with it
>>
>>54702831
And on top of that, no OS so you have to re-use a key, go arr matie or install Gentoo.
>>
>>54702707
You'd think a setup with less options and expandability would cost less, but it's absurdly expensive for no reason. Desktops don't need to be portable. Or super energy efficient.
>>
>>54701225
>Gaymenlaptop without a GPU
Kek
>>
>>54702875
>Gaymenlaptop without a GPU, RAM, storage, screen, or battery, that costs almost as much

Fixed for you.
>>
At this price they should have included at least one stick of ram and a small SSD. There's just nothing exceptional about this offer. 650 bucks for just a barebones, just a case with a CPU/iGPU, a mobo and some ports and lanes for connecting RAM and SSDs. Meh. It doesn't even have any particularly cool chassis or design. It looks like a bloody plastic router box.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.