[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So denuvo is the new big anti-piracy tech, but it seems to actually
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (16 KB, 540x309) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16 KB, 540x309
So denuvo is the new big anti-piracy tech, but it seems to actually be doing its job. What does it do that makes it "uncrackable" that other AP methods don't? I haven't heard much about what it actually does other than some rumors of it supposedly making a ton of read/writes to the drive
>>
>>54699629
>What is VM Protect and game spesific custom implementations

Basically each game is its own virtual machine thats almost uncrackable.

It will only get better over time until shit gets leaked/hacked or sold.

It will be cracked one day no doubt about it.
>>
Heh, nice try 3DM.

Regards, Denuvo dev
>>
>What does it do that makes it "uncrackable" that other AP methods don't?
They don't hire curryniggers to do their job.
>>
File: bike fall.jpg (64 KB, 500x680) Image search: [Google]
bike fall.jpg
64 KB, 500x680
>>54699629
please start the theme music of my post before reading:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwxtHILcrxg

>step 1: implement uncrackable DRM to your game
>step 2: notice sales are slightly lower than before
>step 3: call Jim from marketing to tell you what's going on
>step 4: listen to Jim while he explains that a lot less people are talking about this game than before
>step 5: give Jim more money so he can pay for flashy ad banners
>step 6: see sales numbers return to where they were before while marketing cost exploded
>step 7: explain to the investors that somehow pirates are to blame for all of this
>step 8: fucking pirates, man.
>>
>>54699801
Because pirates pay for games.
>>
>>54699816
Pirates probably dont actually do much gaming
>>
>>54699801
Yeah, or... they will never buy the game.
>>
>>54699629
It wasn't made by albino burgers.
>>
>>54699629

Most groups that have been "trying to crack Denuvo" have been unusually silent about it. In most past cases, they've put on bounties for specific entry points into the softwares, shared details, and more. As well, Denuvo themselves are pretty tight-lipped on how their company came around, the portfolios of their lead developers, and even who/what the company IS beyond the public listings.

A lot more people are beginning to realize this, combined with all the viral marketing surrounding Denuvo, may mean that "Denuvo" has a big-daddy investor whose been playing negotiator behind the scenes. Paying out or distracting groups who'd have a shot at potentially cracking it and keeping eye-level attention to the company to a minimum, while stressing it's name in online communities. Giving it an almost mythic draw. Like how 4Chan was at one point. A name often passed around on other forums, communities, groups, but kept below major consumer eye-level for a great while. The rumors spread, no single entity was responsible for 4Chan's reputation, it was the collective opinion that was formed by the echo-chambers of the internet. Theory does, Denuvo is perpetuating this artificially, but yet also tying up those who'd "adventure into the depths" with money, lawsuits, threats, or similar.
>>
>>54699629
"Uncrackable" anti-piracy techs had already existed for the time when Denuvo released. But they do a lot of illegal things and sometimes they were false-positive. Probably Denuvo has the same problems, I don't know. Just anti-piracy laws have changed.
>>
>>54699866
that's what the post says. most pirates don't buy the game anyway so if they can't play because of DRM they simply ignore it.

having a few million less players means a lot less word-of-mouth advertising. can't have your ebin arrow to the knee meme if nobody knows what the fuck that is.
ultimately they get a slight boost in initial sales because a minority of players buy the game instead of pirating it but they get a huge hit to their long term marketing because the post DRM playerbase is considerably smaller.

I don't have any numbers to back that up yet but that's my thesis based on simply observing the market and projecting.
>>
>>54699973
It will get cracked eventually.

Securom and starforce took a while from memory.

Dunno about current gen consoles or UWP though
>>
Most of the people that are able to crack this left the scene that's the only problem.

Also I heard that Denuvo developers are ex-scene crackers
>>
>>54699866
finished ds3 cracked, just bough original. I'm also a poorfag so you point doesn't work. if I didn't have the cracked version i would've never done it
>>
>>54700107
>If I didn't have the cracked version I would've never done it
>Your point doesn't work
Are you retarded?
>>
>>54700125
missed your logic classes one too many times?
>>
>>54700093

That's a challenge though. First we need find out how it works. Then it can be broken.
>>
>>54700176
No, you're just an autistic retard.
He said that people would not buy games anyway if they were not cracked.
As you said, you only bought ds1 because ds3 was cracked.
>>
>>54700177
nobody gives a shit anymore the whole climate and culture has changed and died as soon as they started wanting to get paid for their work toxic shitty community these days.
>>
>>54699629
Denuvo is nothing more than VProtect with "few" extra tricks (they even share same fucking logic).
>>
A lot of people I know stopped bothering with the kinds of games that use meme DRM schemes.
I don't think any of the (relatively small amount) of games I play have *any* DRM in them at all.

It's probably a combination of:
>player apathy (many of the games with denuvo aren't worth playing)
>blackmailing/bribing the usual crackers
>alternative games taking a chunk of the market (shit like semi-independant MMOs)
>genuine technical difficulty
>market shift (pc gaming requires more hardware investment than ever, keeping poorer people out)
>other factors i don't know about
>>
>>54700382
VMProtect* missed that M
>>
>>54700395
Fuck, I forgot one.

>online multiplayer
Typically requires a licence to verify with a server, killing unlicenced copies.
>>
Nothing is uncrackable, it's just not worth doing it.

And it's a shame, I will shamelessly admit that I upgraded my PC rather than buying a console just because I thought I could just avoid the whole buying thing for a few titles. Guess not.

And nowadays demos would help a lot. But there's no such thing, who in the big leagues makes demos anymore? I see more indie games with demos now. They just put shitty trailers, paid reviews and expect people to fall for it.
>>
>>54700107
huh, didn't even notice they made a dungeon siege 3, will have to try it sometime
>>
>>54701195
The problem with demos is they apparently have a strong negative impact on sales http://www.gamespot.com/articles/game-demos-can-hurt-sales-suggests-research/1100-6410863/

But you still get big companies doing demos, they just tend to call them "open betas" or stuff like that. Overwatch, doom 4 and nioh all had timed betas within the last month
>>
>>54701195
>>54701351
guess they don't want people to find out it's shit BEFORE they've paid for it
>>
>>54701351
Yeah, timed. They're not even there when the game just comes out. It's always multiplayer games as well.

For instance, I wanted to try DOOM now but whoops, too late.
>>
File: 1437226827460.jpg (38 KB, 553x720) Image search: [Google]
1437226827460.jpg
38 KB, 553x720
Mafia 3 that is coming out this summer won't use Denuvo, FOR FUCKS SAKE THAT GAME NEED THE MONEY.
>>
>>54701380
That's exactly it. Why do you think preorders have become such a huge deal lately? And review embargoes that don't end until release day or just before? It's because they don't want you to find out a game is shit until they already have your money in their pocket
>>
>>54700069
Also, don't forget the extra they pay for Denuvo.
>>
>>54699629
>What does it do that makes it "uncrackable
What? I was playing 2205 like release day IIRC.
>>
scene kids realized they can't compete

There is no buying competition or anything, denuvo just reached a point where pajeets and chinks can't do anything about it
>>
Sometimes I wish I were some billionaire so I could just throw money at crazy ideas for no financial purpose. I could just pay some Chinese in secret to work 24/7 on cracking this thing. Then I could pay them to develop an emulator for every system in existence.
>>
With the shift in economy and greater accessibility there hasn't been as much of an incentive to crack software as let's say fifteen years ago. People with the skill would rather work in computer security than crack games for a bunch of ungrateful teenagers.

Software based protections are always crackable at the end of the day because the code and decrypted parts of it are always accessible. This is why piracy has always been high on PCs, they're not locked down. Hardware security stuff like Intel SGX is going to change the game completely because instead of solving the puzzle like with software obfuscators, you're going to have too look for flaws in security which is more close to embedded device/console hacking.

People have always taken piracy for granted saying things like there's no such thing as uncrackable (everything might be crackable, not in practice however), but I think the scene is going to die during the next decade simply because there's no fresh blood and people with the potential just jump into professional field right away now that there are more opportunities to make a career out of reversing.

>>54699943
>As well, Denuvo themselves are pretty tight-lipped on how their company came around,

They are just rebranded Securom/Sony DADC. Mr. Reinhard Blaukovich being the CEO of both.

>the portfolios of their lead developers, and even who/what the company IS beyond the public listings.

You mean those profiles you can easily find on linkedin? Even Yates, the supposed ex-scene cracker is there. Here's his old website: https://web.archive.org/web/20050211063210/http://www.yates2k.net/
>>
Is it increasing sales? I don't think it is.

And if not, what's the point in it?
>>
>>54703558
Its probably hurting sales, I refuse to buy a game I can't try own my own first.

I'll pay for it if I enjoy it, but i wont pay for it otherwise.
>>
>>54703539
>crack games for a bunch of ungrateful teenagers.

I'm a grateful adult.
>>
>>54699629
It's not uncrackable, most scene groups today are just utter shit. 3DM too, all they do is "brute force" reverse engineering where they simply try to patch a few shit by figuring it out manually and then do simple pattern matching tier shit. Another problem is that a large group of games require noting else than steam_api.dll these days which is piss easy to emulate. There are generic emulators so you can play almos any game with no additional drm other than steam.
Denuvo is just a software as such all the stuff learned in computer science applies to it. Few have to ability and the intelligence to make proper tools. There are 3 ways to obfuscate/protect shit:
1. Take advantage of some very specific behavior of a system. (OS/CPU instruction set)
2. Good understanding of CS concepts.
3. Combine 1,2.
Most crackers today only have a moderate amount understanding of the 1. A lot of idiots in the programming industry have the same problems. They know the patterns in OOP Java, but when the problem gets close to the metal (assembly, os theory, etc.) you realize that they know jack shit about low-level stuff or about patterns and theory in such systems. In other words the theoretical and low-level understanding of most programmers and crackers are weak today. I also doubt that the incentive (especially for those who got the knowledge) is high enough to do it or they already have some stuff going in another specialized field.
Read @throwawaycracker00 posts in this thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/CrackStatus/comments/43dgej/how_denuvo_works_and_why_its_so_hard_to_crack/

TL;DR
Cracking groups suck and there is no real incentive to do real cracking.
>>
>>54699629
fuck off back to /v/
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.