[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Workstation and server hardware investigation thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 9
Let's continue to investigate the used market of workstation and server hardware for components which might find themselves into the PCs and projects of /g/.
>>
File: x8dte-f[1].jpg (859 KB, 878x960) Image search: [Google]
x8dte-f[1].jpg
859 KB, 878x960
Last time we were all looking at the Supermicro X8DT6-F motherboard. This is a dual socket LGA 1366 board which is going for under $100 on ebay right now.

The spec sheet for it is available on Supermicro's website

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/QPI/5500/X8DT6-F.cfm?IPMI=Y%20;SAS=N

Everything looks good here but there is one thing to note. The chipset is Intel® 5520 (Tylersburg). This is a server chipset, and if you look at the PCI-E information you can see it is reflected there:

>PCI-Express
>3 (x8) PCI-E 2.0 slots
>1 (x4) PCI-E 2.0 slot
>1 (x4) PCI-E slot

No 16x PCI-E 2.0 slot is available at all. This is not the end of the world, as a 8x PCI-E slot will still be very capable of mostly any task you want to do with it (including playing games). But it's something to keep in mind when looking at motherboards for a build.

This motherboard includes on-board video if you have no need for GPU intensive tasks.
>>
File: s-l1600[1].jpg (150 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600[1].jpg
150 KB, 1200x1600
A category I've been looking at are the CPU coolers.

There's the whole market of consumer coolers you can look into, but it may be possible to find used enterprise coolers for a lower price which will match the performance.

And there is always the option to use the stock coolers.

You can get two Supermicro heatsink+fan coolers here for less than $40

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-pack-Supermicro-SNK-P0040AP4-Heatsink-Fan-CPU-5500-5600-LGA1366-X8DTE-F-/221937641584?hash=item33ac83a870:g:DEgAAOSwo6lWQiwC

These will fit socket LGA 1366, which along with socket 2011 is going to be the most common socket you're going to be looking at in this category. They ought to be fine with a TDP of up to 130 watts going by their design, and reviews mention them being quiet (however, quiet is a relative term when talking about server hardware).

Noise level of 25dBa is mentioned on amazon: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816101285
>>
File: s-l1600[1].jpg (121 KB, 1334x750) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600[1].jpg
121 KB, 1334x750
>>54697241
Then there is also this company Dynatron which makes CPU coolers and other components which seems to be popular. Their parts are cheaper than the Supermicro equivalents.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynatron-T667-2U-CPU-Cooler-Side-Fan-for-Intel-Xeon-LGA-1366-1356-Socket-B-PWM-/152093096749?hash=item2369747b2d:g:i1EAAOSwwpdW7Fuu

There is a video on youtube of one of these in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3STLjCgBzs

Loud? It's hard to say. But these do have the 4-pin connectors which may be necessary on some workstation motherboards.
>>
File: dynatronG199_pspc[1].jpg (54 KB, 450x345) Image search: [Google]
dynatronG199_pspc[1].jpg
54 KB, 450x345
Also of interest is the concept of blower-style CPU cooler. I'm not sure what use one could find in these for the home, but in a pinch they will get the job done.
>>
File: 1463980217255.png (226 KB, 552x333) Image search: [Google]
1463980217255.png
226 KB, 552x333
>>54697034
Theres no way I'm reading all this shit. But this is a nice thread. Its a shame we dont have like this instead of faggots fighting over consumer technology and operating systems.
>>
>>54697628
The big thing to take away here is it is a myth when people say server hardware is not suited for the desktop. Where there is a will there is a way, and with a little ingenuity a machine can be built with power which greatly exceeds most consumer offerings, while being a fraction of the price.
>>
File: V01Y_1_20160218102835151.jpg (19 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
V01Y_1_20160218102835151.jpg
19 KB, 640x480
>>54697719
>a myth when people say server hardware is not suited for the desktop
I dont doubt that. I've been interested in the server and workstation stuff for my next desktop in the future. What do you think about the lenovo and dell workstations with xeon and ecc? or is it better to buy separately and build it yourself
>>
>>54697822
>What do you think about the lenovo and dell workstations with xeon and ecc?
They are great. They offer a great combination of performance/cost and you don't have to worry as much about hitting some snag when building your system that may end up costing you $50-100 because you bought the wrong component.

There is no PC Part Picker for these components to tell you when you're doing something wrong, and even when you ask us on /g/ we can't tell you with 100% certainty.

I am looking right now for a good deal on a barebones Lenovo D30 to come up that I might use as a base to install some of the Broadwell e5 Xeons into for some real crackling CPU power.

But there's nothing wrong with buying a machine that's complete and ready to go. Although you will likely want to sell any Quadro cards included and install a consumer GPU. This is one case where enterprise hardware is not appealing to the budget.
>>
>tfw 12 cores doesn't feel like enough anymore
>>
Server hardware is hopeless at the moment. Intel has destroyed the workstation market with their Xeon pricing. It's too hard to justify twin xeons when they often only barely beat the top consumer version with overclocking. You end up with a machine that is a little faster for mulithreaded tasks with terrible single threaded performance.
>>
I recently bought a Supermicro X8DTL-3F for my workstation build, opinions?
>>
File: 120123_2245_draft.jpg (705 KB, 1880x1712) Image search: [Google]
120123_2245_draft.jpg
705 KB, 1880x1712
just picked up one of these for $100, didn't come with a PIKE card
>>
>>54699373
It looks like a good motherboard, but it does have the same 8x PCI-E limitation the other board mentioned in this thread has.

What do you plan to do with it?
>>
>>54699418
That was quite a steal. PIKE card would have been nice, but isn't essential at all. Look at all those SATA and SAS connectors anyway. I'm sure you can work out some other RAID solution.
>>
>>54699337
I'm not sure what you're getting at when the top consumer CPU the i7 5960X is outpaced by a middle of the road Xeon e5-2670. And the i7 costs nearly a thousand dollars while the Xeon is a little over fifty bucks.

Single threaded performance is not so important anymore. What are you going to do that requires it? If you really do need it there are some of the older Xeons with higher clock speeds that get better on the single threads, and you can overclock the LGA 1366 ones.
>>
>>54699337
>with terrible single threaded performance.
Huh? They're the same cores with the same architecture and some extra enhancements, Xeons can just ship with more of them. These are designs meant to serve a purpose, not shitty phone SoCs or AMD consumer chips for consumers to dick wave.

And why does it even matter either way, who the fuck buys a new dual-socket box just to squander it on shitty/ancient games?
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (230 KB, 1600x1194) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
230 KB, 1600x1194
bump
>>
>>54697034
there's a supermicro board available right now, dual 1366 that can take 48 gigs of non-ECC RAM and two X5600 hexcores for a small price. friend built one up for a workstation for his office and thenumbers are pretty good in benchmarks.

the thing to realize about these boards is that you are pretty much going to get i7-4790k performance out of two nexcores in the end, at a much higher power consumption. but they look cool, and although the RAM speed isnt as fast, you do get a bit of it for how cheap it's going for right now.

RAM prices are going to go up in the next six months with the manufacture of DDR4, so buy it now while you still can for a decent price.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.