[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /g/, I did some basic CAD work years ago and I've always
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: cd.jpg (1 MB, 2133x1600) Image search: [Google]
cd.jpg
1 MB, 2133x1600
Hi /g/,

I did some basic CAD work years ago and I've always wanted to learn character design/3d modelling. Well now I'm unemployed and struggling to find any work, I thought I'd dedicate some time to learning.

What is (are the) industry leading software? 3DS Max?

Can you please recommend any websites/youtube channels that are good for learning from scratch? Your experiences?

Thanks guys
>>
>>54696308
3DS Max would be a great place to go. Or Maya if that was the character suite, I don't remember. You could use blender too but the learning curve is steep because like most free software it is very unintuitive.
>>
>>54696369

Thanks mate. The Maya entertainment suite looks good - going to have a look around for guides etc
>>
>>54696308
Modeling -> 3DS max is unrivaled
Everything Else -> Maya is probably best
>>
>>54696520

So the modeling itself would be done in 3DS max and then texture work/rendering/animation in Maya?
>>
>>54696308
If you go for character/organic design - Maya has better tools and the viewport does wonders. On the other hand, nothing can match 3dsmax modeling tools - takes time to get used to it, still better organized compared to some of Maya's menus. Blender is an option, it combines pretty much all you need - has sculpting tool with dynamesh, has decent retopology tools, the interface is trash, Cycles' material editor is close to the node ones in Maya and Max - sadly, it works only with nodes the moment you step in. Not that intuitive as you expect it. Blender offers a good amount of tutorials, plugins, scripts and custom tools. Still won't recommend it over the giants. Blender has polypaint as well. Zbrush is your best bet in case you're going for sculpting, zmodeler is pixologic's " box modeling tool " that helps you do shit. Organic or Hard Surface, sadly you'd have to get adapted to some techniques and it takes time. Has polypaint, Similar to Mudbox - sadly, mudbox don't have dynamesh, but does better with polypaint than Zbrush and it's easier to navigate. It really depends on what you prefer, i'd take Maya over the rest for personal reasons. Animation wise - it's the best.
>tl:dr >>54696520
>>
>>54696695

Thank you for all the info.

I figured I'd have to put in some good hours getting used to any of them anyway. My gf is a mecheng student so I can use 3dsmax and Maya with her license :)

I'll start with Maya for now.
>>
>>54696369
how is it unintuitive?

maya's UI is a clusterfuck. because you have to learn keyboard shortcuts? you're going to have to eventually anyhow. might as well start early.
>>
blender
>>
>>54696730
Look, it really depends on what tool you''re most comfortable with and what job you're going to do with it. Look at the interfaces and pick the one you choose. As you know, each one of them has advantages and disadvantages, most of the time 3dsmax is used for architecture visualizations, maya is known for it's organic modeling tools and advanced animation tools. But still, choose the interface you're most comfortable with, at first I started with maya, had to move over to blender, then had to get back to Maya, Now I'm pretty used to work with max. Had to export my maya files as .obj, import them into 3dsmax, save em as max files, Realized it's not worth the time, so I had to move to max. Not the worst choice, but decide what you want to achieve and what you're interested in. Good luck and have fun.
>>
>>54696797
why did you HAVE to move to blender?
>>
>>54696797

I will definitely have a look at all 3, but I'll compare Max and Maya first just because I have immediate access to them. Cheers
>>
>>54696308
Just so you know, if you're unemployed and haven't done this before don't expect to find any real work. Also it will take you a long time to learn the tools and become fluent with them. It can get very technical and tbqh if you aren't skilled artistically to begin with, you're probably wasting your time. Plus, you wont get hired without a decent portfolio. If you're just looking to do it as a hobby then that's fine. If you need a job now and want to do 3d character design then this is a really bad idea.
>>
File: 1463027226530.jpg (27 KB, 647x451) Image search: [Google]
1463027226530.jpg
27 KB, 647x451
>>54696308
>>>/3/

No wonder you're too retarded to get a job
>>
>>54698093

I'm more learning this just as a hobby. I'd like to be able to create my own mods and texture work for games. If I do really enjoy it maybe I'll look into professional qualifications/study but for now its just to do something productive with all my spare time.

>>54698107

I don't browse here much and I knew of /g/, which is what I put into the address bar.
>>
>>54698127
Well first learn to model in something like 3dsmax or maya or any modeller desu...they're all pretty much the same in the end.

Then learn to use things like zbrush if you want to sculpt. Also if you don't have a drawing tablet then I wouldn't even try this.

If you want to do texturing then you need to learn to UV. I prefer UVlayout as it is fast and you get good results...and lastly i would consider getting substance live once you have a model that is done and needs texture. You will also want a drawing tablet like a wacom for this too.

So three things. A modelling app. Learn to UV. and you will want a tablet. You can use photoshop to texture if you're familiar but programs like substance painter will speed things up tremendously.
>>
>>54698179

Okay, much appreciated. I'll check out some tablets and reviews online and see if I can find anything reasonable.
>>
>>54698107
so edgy XD °_° lol
>>
>>54698179
As a fan of UVLayout, I'd recommend it too, but not if you're just learning stuff. You can do fine with Maya/Max UV editor, no need to learn and/or buy extra software. Also similar thing about Substance, that's something I wouldn't really recommend from the get go, first learn Max or Maya (Maya being the one currently pushed really hard as the standard), with it learn to model/UV/whatever, then if you're looking into sculpting learn ZBrush, otherwise Maya/Max is enough for just regular or subd modelling, and only after being comfortable with that and 'regular' texturing with Photoshop you should try more complex texturing tools such as Substance/Quixel, and also other tools like the mentioned UVLayout or stuff like TopoGun to speed up certain aspects of your work.

You also don't need a tablet if you're just doing regular 3D modelling, a mouse is fine for that. However, it's pretty much mandatory if you want to do any sculpting and/or texturing.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.