[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Windows 10 just tried to install itself on my machine. I had
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4
File: win10-logo[1].jpg (52 KB, 992x448) Image search: [Google]
win10-logo[1].jpg
52 KB, 992x448
Windows 10 just tried to install itself on my machine. I had to cut the power to prevent the process from completing.

I don't even know if it's any good, I just think the UI is clunky (my mom got it with her new machine so I've had some experience with it). But I am 100% opposed to an operating system that tries to install itself.

Anyway, is interrupting the installation process this way likely to do any damage to my machine? I caught it at the 2% mark.
>>
It's not that bad. The UI isn't really clunky. It's probably too late to stop the install. Just let it finish then roll it back and turn off automatic updates.
>>
gwx control panel if you don't want to fuck with the registry
>>
>>54696042

Sorry, I should clarify. I cut the power and restarted my PC, and it said 'restoring previous OS' for about 10 minutes before starting up with Win7 as if nothing happened. It even restored the tabs in my internet browser from the last time I was online.

Almost like it knew it was outta line and wanted to make amends.

I'm posting from said PC right now. I'm just worried if the digital pimp hand leaves any bruises.
>>
3/10 bait thread.

windows 10 warns you like a month before everyday that it's gonna install by itself on X date, there is no way you did not know this was gonna happen so you're just baiting.
>>
>>54696061
Nah, you should be fine if that is the case. Just track down and remove that Update and turn off automatic updating or that shit will happen again,
>>
>>54696122
Doin' it. I'm starting by removing update KB3035583 from the list. After that I need to delete the installer itself, right? Where's that?
>>
>>54696065
I don't participate in Win10 is evil threads, so this is really my first post in one.

Why is it OK for an OS to force itself upon a user in such a merciful and slimy way? Furthermore, why are people so casual about it?

If a Win10 was forced on me like that, then that would have been the very last time I use Windows.

Have some self-respect, guys.
>>
My boss' computer auto updated to Windows 10. Is there an easy way to roll back to 7?
>>
>>54696213
Settings
Update & Security
Recovery
Go back to Windows 7

If it's not there then no you can't, and have to manually reinstall
>>
Reuters, 4:10pm, May 27

Microsoft is NOT under investigation today following yesterday's claims that the software giant sent approximately 1.4 million members of the Russian mob door-to-door across the U.S. and Canada making sure users had installed Windows 10. The FBI had already conducted an investigation when the manner was brought to their attention last night and determined the company had taken part in no wrongdoing. State Attorney General Eric Holder offered this statement today:
"It really is time for you to upgrade to Windows 10. It's the smoothest rollout since Windows 98! The Microsoft corporation only wants to make sure it's users are using the best software, and that's no crime."
>The editor would like to make a correction in which it was claimed that Windows 10 was not compatible with certain widely-used programs. Windows 10 is the best version of Windows to date and you would do well to stop being a luddite. We apologize for the inconvenience. Send help
>>
>>54696310

You're the man. This'll alleviate a lot of headaches tomorrow.
>>
My windows 10 just lost activation. I changed mobo and other stuff, but kept SSD with windows already installed. It was upgraded from win7 with legit oem key. I googled and found out that official Microsoft advice on the situation is "purchase a new product key". Is my old key really ded now?
>>
Which updates are the ones that pull this shit, anyway? I've got automagic updates shut off. Glad I do, too, because my mom wants me to fix hers after she shut it off during the upgrade. Fuckin' thing won't even boot now.
>>
>>54696542
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/28669-Microsoft-Toolkit-Official-KMS-Solution-for-Microsoft-Products

Just use this

>>54696561
KB3068708 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
KB3022345 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
KB2952664 Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7
KB2990214 Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 7 to a later version of Windows
KB3035583 Update installs Get Windows 10 app in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1
KB971033 Description of the update for Windows Activation Technologies
KB3021917 Update to Windows 7 SP1 for performance improvements
KB3044374 Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 8.1 to a later version of Windows
KB3112343 Enables additional support for upgrade scenarios from Windows 7 and 10
KB3080149 More telemetry
KB3075249 More telemetry

This is old, I'm sure there's other updates that deliberately try to install Win10
As you can see some of this is for telemetry as well so just look at the ones that are win10 if you don't care so much.
>>
I got a phone call a couple days ago from my mother telling me that Windows 10 just installed on her computer and she doesn't know how or why.

This was a huge pain in the ass. My mother is not tech literate, I don't fault her for that at all. She likes what she has the way it is. It's comfortable to her. I know for a fact she didn't upgrade by herself.

I had to drive down to her house the next day and spend some time recovering everything. Microsoft is obviously doing this shit on purpose.
>>
>>54696065

>implying anyone complaing about W10 knows anything about computers/reads system messages when they pop up
>>
I don't understand how this is even legal for MS to do. It's malware.

I always have updates set to notify only and I've been going over every update to make sure no malware slips through.
>>
>>54696710
They can get away with it since they're marketed it enough everywhere that the person complaining "is just ignorant for not paying attention"

Either way, come July 29th free upgrades are no more and they'll be forced to stop, but still keep the advertisement popups to BUY WINDOWS 10 UPGRADE NOW
>>
>>54696738
I feel like we won't make it to July 29th. Something like half of all desktops are running Windows 7 even after all this memery. There's gonna be a big happening where you're extremely inconvenienced if you don't just upgrade goy
>>
I refuse to even consider Windows 10 because I saw a picture where the user was being shown ads on the start menu. I consider that an offense to my dignity as a human being. I don't give a shit about the rest.
>>
>windows 10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBGwisx7y8E
>>
File: 1447922654866.gif (4 MB, 443x201) Image search: [Google]
1447922654866.gif
4 MB, 443x201
>>54696336
>Send help.
>>
What's wrong with Windows 10? I want to upgrade I think. I'm still using a pirated Windows 7 Ultimate OS. Why is everyone trying to avoid it? By July you can't do the free upgrade anymore to Win10 Pro.

My question is. Do I stay with my pirated Win7 Ultimate and upgrade. Or do I purchase a Win7 Professional key and upgrade to Win10 Pro?

Can pirated Win7 users keep their Windows 10s? Or will there be a Windows 10 activator. Where is the Win10 activator for people without legit keys?
>>
>>54697372
>By July you can't do the free upgrade anymore
Yeah, we'll see.
>>
>>54696018
You can just say no to the EULA when it's installed and it will revert.
>>
File: 6813_4d1d.gif (632 KB, 280x362) Image search: [Google]
6813_4d1d.gif
632 KB, 280x362
I DIDN'T BELIEVE YOU
YOU WARNED ME, BUT I DIDN'T BELIEVE YOU
I DISABLED WINDOWS UPDATES, AND TOOK EVERY PREVENTATIVE MEASURE
I NUKED THE FUCK OUT OF GWX

BUT THIS MORNING, I WOKE UP TO WINDOWS 10
IT INSTALLED ITSELF WITHOUT PERMISSION

THIS IS THE END FOR ME
>>
>>54697506
>>54697460
>>
>>54697460
can i trust this?
>>
>>54697506
Hahahahaha

Install Gentoo
>>
>>54696186
No one here cares because it doesn't force itself on you. If you have automatic updates set then it upgrades automatically. There is nothing wrong with that. It's your own fault if it upgrades when you didn't want it to.

>>54696149
Don't know. Just google it.

>>54696845
You can just turn that "recommended apps" shit off.
>>
>>54696018
You will find that even after turning everything you can find off, that it will update itself eventually.
>>
>>54698251
>>it doesn't force itself on you
>OS auto-updates itself unless you drill down and change a bunch of settings, which leave you open to possible remote PWNAGE.
>"It's OK anon, really, you're a dumbass if you don't constantly read up on the forums about all the things you have to do to foil microsoft"
literally victim shaming, some on anon it's 2016
>>
>>54696018
I updated my pirated Windows 7 and it displays "not genuine" and to add to the pain Windows 7 reversed my left and right audio channels wtf.

I may purchase a Windows 7 retail box on ebay this pisses me off.
>>
>>54699569
Just fucking ditch that crap, your gaymes will work in Linux with Wine just fine.

Stockholm syndrome is real.
>>
>>54697460
this

i did this and it reverted to win 7 ultimate
then i got the -this win is not genuine- watermark and now i'm trying to fix that shit
pls help if you can
>>
>>54701692
See >>54699804.

I'm >>54699569.
And I'm fucked. I have to back up my data and fresh install. I tried Windows Loader by Daz and it won't revert to "genuine".

I'll maybe buy Windows 8.1 Pro to upgrade it into 10 Pro. The free upgrade will end after July for people with genuine Windows 7 and 8.1 license keys.

>>54699804
I downloaded Linux Mint and Ubuntu to try out later. I still need Windows OS for online mmo games.
>>
>>54701692
Actually wait. I didn't even fucking noticed. It actually works! Download Windows Loader by Daz from here https://kat.cr/windows-loader-2-2-2-final-by-daz-scenedl-t8955425.html

Keep uninstalling it and installing it. Then wait 10 to 20 mins like I did. Then check Windows Loader by Daz and see it go green like in pic related. Fuck yeah! I fixed it.
>>
File: 5285282415268.png (23 KB, 616x291) Image search: [Google]
5285282415268.png
23 KB, 616x291
>>54702252
forgot pic
>>
>>54698251
> automatic
> not forced

pick one

> You can just turn that "recommended apps" shit off.

It should be off by default.
>>
I like win 10, its not that bad. Just turn off the spy funcions and you are gona be fine.
I evan like the new UI.
>>
>>54698899
No, you are idiot if you have shit to set to automatically update then get mad when it does just that. Next time just set that shit to notify you of updates instead then chose whether to download and install them yourself.

>>54702274
>> automatic
>> not forced
>pick one

I pick both because you can turn automatic updates off in both Windows 7 and 8.
>>
>>54696018
I see threads like this all the time and I shake my head in amazement. What the fuck are you losers doing to cause this to happen? My Windows 7 never does this. Never.
>>
>>54702422
They are the same kind of idiots that are too stupid to uncheck a box when installing software then bitch about getting some useless toolbar.
>>
>>54702422
I often wonder why people like OP even come to a technology forum, they clearly have zero knowledge on interest about tech at all. I guess they're just here for free tech support.
>>
>>54696018
STOP BEING RETARDED
wusa /uninstall /kb:3035583 /quiet /forcerestart

Then hide it next time it popup on Windows Update.
>>
>>54702422

it's called having automatic updates enabled or installing updates without necessarily verifying what each individual update does by loading the corresponding microsoft webpage, it's not exactly unheard of

in bfucking4
>but I don't update
>>
For everyone that is pissed off enough and needs to reinstall anyway:
http://fglt.nl/guides/picking-a-distro.html
use it a few days to see if it suits you, what do you have to lose?
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.