[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
programming requires a lot of math? how true is this, /g/? time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 3
File: 1463440827847.jpg (29 KB, 314x384) Image search: [Google]
1463440827847.jpg
29 KB, 314x384
programming requires a lot of math?
how true is this, /g/?

time to bust finally bust this ancient myth once and for all
>>
>>54695257
Pajeet poo coding doesn't.

Otherwise, yes
>>
programming requiring math is just some shit colleges use so they can get a few more thousands a bucks out of your pocket.

outside of a few instances why the fuck does math factor into programming much?
>>
ITT: NEETS pretend that they know something about a job that they have never done

*grabs poopcorn*
>>
Pick up Elements of Programming Interviews and find out.
>>
Kill yourself, retard.
>>
>>54695257
Kids who have no real industry experience tell themselves programming needs math to justify all the money they are wasting on their "degree".
In reality, when most of them graduate, they are shitty programmers that can barely do fizzbuzz and are unemployable.
>>
Depends on what you're programming.

Anything involving graphics you better believe is gonna have a shit ton of math involved.
>>
>>54695320
>poopcorn
>>
>>54695345
So yummy!
>>
Programming requires some math, nothing you didn't learn if you graduated American high school.
According to a mate of mine, actual computer science requires more math 'than you could possibly imagine'.
>>
It seems to me that Literally nothing outside math itself requires a lot of math.

That autismal rabbit hole goes so deep noone has any idea, not even physicists.
>>
>>54695257
No, and nowadays it doesn't require much brains either.

This meme exists because 20+ years ago programmers usually had a math degree or an engineering degree, which do require a lot of math.
>>
>>54695343
The addendum to this is that most people don't work on graphics engines these days. The basic java coding and web design you do won't need a lot of math at all.
>>
>>54695257
>Be math major
>See class called: Discrete Maths, Algorithms, Data Structures
>Sounds neat-o. Take it.
>Midterm has one question about proof by induction. Rest is just syntax questions.
>Who are you quoting?

Myself.
>>
>>54695257
math is a big branch of science, it requires algebra and all its derivates
>>
>>54695257

of course it fucking does

Do retard mathlets actually try to tell themselves it doesn't?
>>
>>54695257
in some fields yes, but for the most part, no.
>>
>>54695257
Time to bust this nut all over your mother.
>>
>>54695449
Huh? Those should be three separate courses.
>>
Most programmers don't need math. Almost all programmers are shit
>>
>>54695257
Programming can require a lot of math. Just depends on what your programming.
>>
>>54695548
That's my probably my problem right there then.
I mean there is an actual math class for Discrete for the major requirement, but I thought I'd take this as a elective thinking it'd be more involved with math.
>>
>>54695548

They were for me. And data structures was prerequisite for database design, which was required for graduation.
>>
>>54695299
This
>>
>>54695343
The thing is, that code didn't require any math involved when Carmack wrote it since he litterally just googled and copy pasted it. Math is very rarely needed for programmers when they have access to information.
>>
>>54695802
/thread
>>
>>54695572

This. I guess that if you're shit, you don't need math. If you don't want to be an HTML jockey cuck pajeet, learn some fucking math
>>
It's not the math but the way you looked through a discipline to program that makes them better than the average programmer that you find at shitty office jobs,Good programmers are either extremely talented or come from a math,physics,cs, or engineering background and using computer programming as a tool is a good way to flex your knowledge to make stuff.

You can get by without math but you'll never go beyond without it.
>>
Someone give me examples of programming situations that don't require math
>>
>>54695913
coding a hello world application
>>
>>54695257
programming can require a number of auxiliary skills and math is one of those.

however, for the overwhelming majority of programmers, high school level math will do.

what's most valuable is the ability to write clear, concise, well structured and well documented code. that, and the ability to always be learning new shit forever until you're fucking 70.

source: am actual professional
>>
>>54695913
Depends on what kinda math we're talking about.

Obviously, even the most basic program would require some level of math, but Calculus and Discrete mathematics? Not a whole lot of them.
>>
>>54695921
This.
The only programming requirement you'll need to meet for at least 75% of entry-level job openings
>>
>>54695257
programming requires algebra

that's really it.. you learn the rest as you learn to code.
>>
>>54695904
ex:John Carmack isn't physics major but knows a about physics and uses it's theories and laws in this graphics rendering techniques.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6UKhR0T6cs
>>
If you can't do Calculus it will be impossible to write most hello world programs.
>>
>>54695913

You know, all that shit they hand off to pajeet like finite element design, computational fluid dynamics, algorithm optimization, path-finding, computer vision, nth acess machine controll, cartography ect ect ect
>>
>>54695981
You selected quite a lot of small fields. The majority of careers in software development never intersect with anything you brought up and the jobs that require those skills often have terrible pay for the proportional effort against say, Joe the Coder who works for a bank doing nothing involving math beyond maybe 5th grade level.
>>
>>54695981
None of that is remotely useful unless you happen to want to work in those fields. They are also no more special than any other fields. Stop being a special snowflake about it because it makes you look like a child.
>>
>>54696210
He's a meme spouting retard. If you see the tell tale meme buzzwords in a post you should not reply.
>>
If you're interested in doing Machine Learning, Matlab stuff or graphics then yes you'll need maths
>>
>>54696616
You don't need a good understanding of mathematics to use machine learning in most projects because there already exist numerous projects that you can just drop into yours that do all the hard parts for you.

In fact, much like crypto, you probably shouldn't be rolling your own ML solutions unless you actually know what the fuck you are doing.
>>
>>54696649
this
>>
>>54696649
But in order to implement a basic implementation you'll still need to know how derivatives work, how to determine the stochastic gradient descent, basic set theory through using array matrixes, finding intersects, multiplying and averaging matrixes.
>>
>>54695257
depends on what you're programming.
>>
>>54696719
Not everyone loves reinventing the wheel as much as you.
>>
>>54695257
Algorithms require good LOGIC SKILL
Math is LOGICAL and Algorithmic

Thus being good at math == good chance of also being a great programmer
>>
>>54696719
You don't need to do any of that you just need to plug your data into the project that you've selected that meets your needs and has an acceptable license.

I get that students love reinventing the wheel but learning how to roll your own shitty ML is not some great accomplishment, more of a waste of time when you could be doing something fantastic with someone else's ML implementation instead of wasting your time on your own shit version that no one will use.
>>
>>54696719
I dunno man

having used some of these packages in the past, all of that is hidden from the end-user, it's mostly "build system from blocks" -> "point at data"
>>
>>54696649
>>54696719
you should have an understanding of the mathemtics to decide what algorithms are appropriate, but you shouldn't have to code it up yourself unless you're doing something unusual
>>
>>54696789
This is a pretty lame excuse for CS being "mathematical" understanding O notation eventually just boils down to understanding,
"how much data", "how long can I take to process data", "which solutions that already exist meet my requirements".
>>
>>54696852
well yeah, if you want to prove something novel don't work in an applied field

that said using ml as a black box without having some idea of what you're doing will come to get you eventually
>>
>>54695257
Certain types or programming do, such as big data analytics, AI, scientific simulations, and 3D graphics. Less niche types of programming like web dev, mobile/desktop apps, enterprise software (databases basically) not really, though you should have a solid understanding of algebra.

It's basically a meme started by CS grads with overinflated egos who want to limit membership in their secret club.
>>
>>54696884
This is fallacious as saying, "using crypto as a black box without having some idea of what you're doing will come to get you eventually".

Follow the implementation details exactly and don't do wonky things with whatever library you're using and you will never have problems beyond existing bugs in the library. And hey, if you find an existing bug you can do something useful like contribute a bug fix instead of fixing your single user rolled yourself ML.
>>
>>54696920
>using crypto as a black box without having some idea of what you're doing will come to get you eventually
given the tradeoffs/appropriate use of various crypto algorithms that's not the example you think it is
>>
Anyone got a good overview of the different disciplines of maths and how it all fits together? I've looked online before but never really found anything.

I've been out of school for a while, and even when I was at school, I wasn't really there anyway.

I'd like to learn some maths, because it does seem interesting and I'd like to understand stuff like information theory, cryptography, electronics-related stuff, etc. but I just have a hopeless grasp of how it all fits together. I know that trigonometry is to do with shapes, and functions are part of calculus, vague notions like that, but apart from that, it's a damn mystery.
>>
it requires logical and anlytical thinking
which can be trained with math
but if you're dumb or lazy or both don't bother
>>
File: 1461621651925.jpg (12 KB, 255x243) Image search: [Google]
1461621651925.jpg
12 KB, 255x243
>>54695257
Want to create something new that nobody has ever done before? You better study math... Unless you're just another brain dead code monkey copy pasting from stack overflow in which case nothing you create will ever be original and you might as well just kill yourself now.
>>
>>54697161
> functions are part of calculus
nope
>>
Honestly, they're pretty much one and the same at times. Some of the stuff you have to wrap your head around, the sheer number of functions and variables working non-linearly, almost makes high school math feel easy by comparison.

Math is better approached with an open mind and at your own pace rather than the way they force test materials on you in public schools. Give it another shot with KhanAcademy, I think you'll appreciate it a lot more as an adult who actually wants to learn it.
>>
>>54697630
nothing you have created or will create is ever new
>>
I work in a performance team of big company, I had to do all those algorithms during the interviews... they told me it's math heavy...

Been here for a year now and I haven't used anything past grade 12 math.

IT'S A MEME! ~~!
>>
>>54695978
Kek. Underrated post.
>>
>>54697874
So what do you actually do? Is it just CRUD shit?
>>
>>54697874
I'm not sure why they don't just ask people to write a small program that is related to the job in interviews instead of trivial stuff or theory related stuff.
>>
>>54697922
I bet its mostly people with way more seniority who make all the decisions and he doesn't get to do a goddamn thing but implement their spec.
>>
>>54697792
Speak for yourself pajeet
>>
>>54695913
#include <iostream>

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
for(int i = 1; i < argc; ++i)
std::cout << "Number " << argv[i] << " is " << ((atoi(argv[i]) & 1) ? "odd" : "even") << std::endl;
}
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.