[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Programming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: seesharp.jpg (59 KB, 750x422) Image search: [Google]
seesharp.jpg
59 KB, 750x422
So /g/ I've been giving it some thought and I want to learn programming, only I don;t really have the confidence to self teach myself. I see that my local community college is teaching programming in C, should I take the class? I tried setting up visual studio to program in C, only i ended up having to look up a video on how to do that and it was extremely complicated and not even a C# thing but one for C++ because visual studio cannot do C# or something I have no idea. Also everything I looked up said "use Visual studio!" despite the /g/entoomen on her saying it's dumb.
>>
>>54686516
C isn't all that nice to learn on Windows. Also while it is a great language it isn't all that great for things most people will want to do while learning programming these days IMHO.

Visual Studio is big quite of tools from microsoft. the community version is free and most certainly supports c#. c# is a lot like java (not javascript).

why do you want to learn to program? what are your goals? what kind of programs do you want to make? if you are just interested in playing around and learning some of the basics i highly suggest you start with Python and a decent text editor (dont get talked into using a big tool like PyCharm just yet).

I have heard lots of good things about a python book called "automate the boring stuff" or something like that. I think the web version is free but finding a PDF shouldnt be hard.

Python is free and a nice editor on Windows like Notepad++ is also free. Python isn't the greatest language in existence but it is a pretty good place to start if you want to have a play with programming and see if you like it. you can easily do pretty powerful things in Python like grab data from a web site, access a database, networking, etc. much nicer than doing the same thing in C anyway!

C has its place which is mostly for systems development so things like core OS features (the kernel), drivers, high performance networking, etc. While you can use C to do anything you can do in other languages it is usually harder and takes longer. plus it is very easy to fuck up in C by doing things wrong whereas in higher level languages like Java, C# and Python it is more protected and doing something really stupid is harder (not impossible but certainly harder than in C).
>>
>>54686746

thank you for the (you) anon, I want to learn to program mostly to understand it, and also for the meme reason of making a game.

I chose C because its the basis for nearly all programming languages and I hear that, the more languages on top of other languages can cause the end product to be very slow and inefficient.
>>
>>54686516
If you are Pajeet, then Pajeet take that C# course and learn nothing. Get as many rupees as you can.

If you are not Pajeet, take that C course and you will become a member of the programming master race.
>>
You don't learn to program. You already can, you just don't know it.

Set yourself a project you want to do. You said you want to make games? Good, thats what gets tons of people in programming. As long as you are not trying to make something too complex, you are fine.

Don't go into it trying to learn something, go into it trying to make something. You will learn what you need to know along the way. Just google every single stupid thing you encounter. You are gonna do a lot of googling anyway if you really to want to get into programming. It's not a bad thing, it's necessary.

As the other guy said, Python is a great starting point, but it doesn't REALLY matter what language you use. I started out by downloading the Unity game engine and playing around with some premade (Javascript/Unityscript) examples. Within a few month i made a fully functional chess game that i could be proud of.

All you need is a goal you set yourself and work towards. Even if you don't reach it, you will learn along the way.
>>
>>54686972
Well game development is very different to most other types of development. for 3d games you are talking serious maths (algebra, trig, calculus) whereas for web or desktop programs you dont need any of that stuff.
>>
>>54687115
This is exactly what you need to do.

I started with arduino and wrote a lasertag game that mimics the gameplay of Halo. That was 2 years ago. I think it is getting closer to working. Still doesnt work right, but I have learned a TON
>>
>>54687458
Care to share a bit more detail?
I do have 2 arduino, and one arduino nano around here - and that sounds awesome.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.